www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 20th, 2018, 13:21   #4156
dtr

Hi,

I'm in UK, currently running B6 Passat CR and EOS PD (sort of convertible golf mkV), both 2.0TDIs.
dtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 15:19   #4157
Acidline303

Hey everyone, noob here. Have never owned a TDI but am currently shopping in IL and the surrounding area to close a deal on one this weekend. Lots of 04-06 Jettas and Passats available in the 115-200K mile range and just as many salesmen who give deflected answers when asked about the belt/water pump service.

Which subsection of the forum is best for me to make a thread asking for some general buying advice?
Acidline303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 15:37   #4158
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidline303 View Post
Hey everyone, noob here. Have never owned a TDI but am currently shopping in IL and the surrounding area to close a deal on one this weekend. Lots of 04-06 Jettas and Passats available in the 115-200K mile range and just as many salesmen who give deflected answers when asked about the belt/water pump service.

Which subsection of the forum is best for me to make a thread asking for some general buying advice?
You should be looking for a privately-owned TDI from an owner who has complete maintenance and repair records. Your mention of "Salesmen" tells me that you're looking on used-car lots; they get their inventory from auto auctions so of course have no records about timing belts or anything else.

Take your time. Do not buy the first or second or third TDI you look at, unless you are accompanied by someone who knows a lot about them. I searched for over a year for the last Golf TDI I bought (not the one in my signature), and just a couple weeks after I bought the blue one an even better one was offered for sale locally at a lower price.

Research first. Decide exactly what you want: Golf, Jetta, Jetta wagon. Avoid those with automatic transmissions. And look at those records closely.
'03 Golf with 710k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm

Last edited by TornadoRed; February 21st, 2018 at 15:42.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 15:52   #4159
Acidline303

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I have been hunting for the last couple months. I definitely would prefer a manual car, though most of the manuals for sale here privately seem to be higher mileage than the credit union is comfortable with.

What exactly is the issue with mid 2000s automatic transmissions, aside from higher repair costs/less performance and fun than a manual?
Acidline303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 17:31   #4160
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidline303 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I have been hunting for the last couple months. I definitely would prefer a manual car, though most of the manuals for sale here privately seem to be higher mileage than the credit union is comfortable with.

What exactly is the issue with mid 2000s automatic transmissions, aside from higher repair costs/less performance and fun than a manual?
The reason you are finding TDIs with manual transmission have more miles is because the automatics did not last as long. As the cost of replacing an AT is so high, those went to the salvage yards and then the crusher. Keep looking, try to raise as much cash as you can so you don't have to borrow from the CU. And so you'll be ready to jump if the right car becomes available.

Check the TDI Cars For Sale forum every day http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
'03 Golf with 710k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
Old February 21st, 2018, 22:46   #4161
yabay

Hi, I'm fromTurkey, currently i have a 2009 polo 1.4 TDI and 2005 1.9 TDI caddy.

For a long time I'm reading this forum and love the community.
yabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:27   #4162
KDNelson03

Fuel Economy: Coming soon
Default New TDI Owner

Good Morning!

I was a fan of TDI's for many years but I finally got in the market for a economical car after I moved and snagged up a 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI with the DSG. It's the model with Navigation so it came with heated leather seats and the whole nine yards. The interior was in excellent shape with only some wear on the radio and window buttons. It had 174k miles on it and had dealer maintenance done on it that was visible from a Carfax report.

I had to replace the battery early on but I blame the previous owner for that and I recently put some fresh rubber on it after Costco had a deal on BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sports. All but one of my own tires had plugs in it and I noticed slow leaks.

Having picked up a used car with uncertain regular maintenance I'm slowly going over every part of the car but am falling in love. My father is an Amsoil dealer and has already sent me some oil to get started. I'm reading up on the dual mass flywheel and I think I might have to give it some attention soon. I'm happy enough with this car that I'm planning on seeing how far I can run the car before I get bored or it blows up.

-Ken
KDNelson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 06:32   #4163
Rgvolo

Default Purchased a factory buyback

Hi All,
I started searching for a Golf Sportwagen TDI last November. I looked at dealers all over the country because I wanted a certified vehicle. Just as I was about to sign on the dotted line for a car from Minnesota my local dealer called and said there was one on the “auction” from the manufacturer that was the 2015 SEL trim level that I wanted. They said it was a buyback car that would have the “fix” done and that it would be VW certified. It wasn’t my first choice in color (silk blue) but by buying local allowed me trade in my current vehicle on the Sportwagen. When the car came in everything was fine except instead of the 18” Durban wheels it had 16” wheels that were beat up and looked like they came from a previous model year. The dealer promised me they would buy another SEL from the auction with the Durbans and swap them if I closed on the car. I did buy the car and drove it for 6 weeks while they screwed around getting the wheels I was promised. During that 6 weeks of driving the car with the 16” wheels and new tires I got combined city/hwy mileage 43mpg and on a highway trip 53mpg. After they put the Durbans on my combined mileage dropped to 39. I haven’t been on a highway trip yet but I assume I will see a like drop there too. Originally I couln’t figue out why someone would buy the SEL trim level and change the wheels on a car that didn’t have enough miles on it to even need new tires (20k miles). I thought the dealer maybe pulled a fast one one me. If it was VW certified why were the wrong wheels on it? They also tried to have me take delivery on the car with a small crack in the windsheild. How did they miss that in the certification process? I’m more than happy with the car now that I have the Durbans and a new windshield. And I can see that maybe the previous owner may have switched wheels for better mileage. I would like better mileage as well so my question to the forum is how common is it to take the 18’s off and replace with the 16’s?? The look of the Durbans is one of the reasons I wanted the SEL. And if I switch to 16’s, which ones do I choose? Thanks!
Rgvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 18:04   #4164
B.Woody

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Default New to the thread.

Good Evening,
I just purchased my 2nd TDI and my 3rd VW diesel. I had a Rabbit back in the 80's. I purchased a Passat TDI that was a 14 model, but it got bought back. I picked up a 2004 Jetta TDI from the original owner this weekend. I was just wanting to know what type engine that it had. I know it is a 1.9. The guy had all the records of maintenance. He said the MAF sensor set the engine code last week. He cleaned it, but it the light came on with me and the car lost power. I have ordered an OEM Bosch MAF sensor that will be here this week. I hope this brings the power back. The car has 163K miles, but is in great shape. Any information will be great. I am new to the thread, so I am trying to learn where to post. I appreciate any input and your patience.
B.Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 20:03   #4165
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Woody View Post
Good Evening,
I just purchased my 2nd TDI and my 3rd VW diesel. I had a Rabbit back in the 80's. I purchased a Passat TDI that was a 14 model, but it got bought back. I picked up a 2004 Jetta TDI from the original owner this weekend. I was just wanting to know what type engine that it had. I know it is a 1.9. The guy had all the records of maintenance. He said the MAF sensor set the engine code last week. He cleaned it, but it the light came on with me and the car lost power. I have ordered an OEM Bosch MAF sensor that will be here this week. I hope this brings the power back. The car has 163K miles, but is in great shape. Any information will be great. I am new to the thread, so I am trying to learn where to post. I appreciate any input and your patience.
You have the Pumpe Duse engine (first year in North America). The system is a little more complex than the earlier design but gains 10 HP and 22 lb-ft torque. Using the correct spec oil is very important as the injectors are actuated by the camshaft. Make sure the timing belt was changed and keep track of the miles on it (don't try to avoid changing it when it's due - disastrous consequences if you don't)

Here's a nice overview:
https://www.myarchive.us/richc/VW_TD..._PumpeDuse.pdf

Last edited by ToxicDoc; March 11th, 2018 at 20:07. Reason: additional info
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 20:33   #4166
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicDoc View Post
You have the Pumpe Duse engine (first year in North America). The system is a little more complex than the earlier design but gains 10 HP and 22 lb-ft torque. Using the correct spec oil is very important as the injectors are actuated by the camshaft.
Just an FYI. Many TDI Club members have been using API-rated oils (CI-4, CJ-4, now CK-4) since roughly 2005, with excellent results. Typically Mobil 1 5W40, Rotella T 5W40, or similar synthetic oils in the 5W40 viscosity.

Last edited by TornadoRed; March 11th, 2018 at 20:37.
Old March 12th, 2018, 00:50   #4167
fixerbob

TDI(s): 1990 Jetta
Default continuing alternator problems

i currently own a 1990 Jetta with a 1.6 engine and am either looking for a 2003 Golf or interested in putting my current engine in a lighter body - a Cabrio or a locost 2 seater. I love my Jetta but I am building a tiny house (of foam) and expect to need more than 54 hp to move it. The Jetta did pull a filled utility trailer from FL with no problems until I hit the 4000 foot San Diego mountains.
It also ran to Cabo San Lucas and back with no trailer but perfect operation.
Now, tho, I have had 3 alternators in 3 months and have no clue as to why they are dying. My Bentley states positively that there are only the alternator (with attached Regulator) and the battery in the charge circuit and that all other circuits are fused thus I can't have "wiring issues" as the lady at Sears is insisting as she denies me my warranty. I suspect that some of the members may still remember an earlier VW of that period and may know what is wrong?
Anyway, glad to be here.
fixerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 13:16   #4168
Eddi

TDI(s): Golf 4,T5

Hallo,Freue mich hier im Forum zu lesen und bei Fehlern beheben am Auto beizutragen!Bin zwar in meinem Land (Deutschland) bei Webseiten wie Motor-Talk angemeldet aber es ist auch Interessant Berichte bei ihnen zu lesen .Ich bin 56 Jahre alt und fahre ein Golf 4 TDI Pumpe-Düse .Bin beruflich Baggerfahrer im Tief und Straßenbau ! Versuch am Auto so viel wie möglich selber zu reparieren um Geld zu sparen!
Eddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 13:19   #4169
Eddi

TDI(s): Golf 4,T5

Hello, Looking forward to the forum to read Wennig and fix errors on the car! 'M Although registered in my country (Germany) in websites such as engine talk but it is also interesting to read reports with them .I am 56 years old and drive a Golf 4 TDI pump-nozzle.Bin professional excavator driver in low and road construction! Try to repair as much as you can yourself on the car to save money!
Eddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 06:25   #4170
mr_y82
Veteran Member

^ I have family on your side of the pond. Prost!

Pre-tune: ~10k-70k mi = 40.5 mpgs; mpgs since tune_f_u_e_l_l_y_ ^
mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote