New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

mychevyisdead

TDI
Looking at 2002 Golf GLS TDI
2002 Golf TDI, a question or 2

I live in Central Indiana, a rare place indeed for TDIs. I am looking to purchase a 2002 Golf TDI. I want to know who is familiar with this model of this year. I thought 91,000 was low mileage for these cars ( I am also presuming since this is a 2002 most of these must be highway miles). Is this true? There has only been one owner who had it serviced at every recommended Volkswagen interval. I am going to make sure that the timing belt was switched at 80,000 miles (and other tips from the newbie forum). I would like to buy this car for $10 to $10.5, they are asking for $11.9. What does anyone think? Thanks.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd even pay $12.00 for it. Oh - perhaps you mean $10.5K. This is somewhat cheap for such a machine, if you do have all service records, and they used the correct oil.

HOUSEDOC

TDI
2004 tdi
Does anyone know if the intercooler is removed when the EGR cooler is replaced? I had my 04 tdi in the shop for a turbo relacement and egr cooler replacement 30 days ago and now the intercooler has failed.

HOUSEDOC

TDI
2004 tdi
Intercooler

Does anyone know if the intercooler is removed when the EGR cooler is replaced? I had my 04 TDI in the shop for a turbo relacement and EGR cooler replacement 30 days ago and now the intercooler has failed.:mad::eek:

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. When I went to check to make sure it was there, I couldn't see it, and as I posted this I realized it was there.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
HOUSEDOC said:
Does anyone know if the intercooler is removed when the EGR cooler is replaced? I had my 04 TDI in the shop for a turbo relacement and EGR cooler replacement 30 days ago and now the intercooler has failed.:mad::eek:

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. When I went to check to make sure it was there, I couldn't see it, and as I posted this I realized it was there.
How did the intercooler fail?

four cats

TDI
03 jetta
I have been having a problem with my 03 Jetta tdi's ingition cylinder for the last six / eight months. The dealership said the key was not being read by the broken switch/cylinder which they replaced after third visit. symtoms..engine tries to start an dies one or ten times,then starts.After that it will work great for a week/month or two or four. Yesterday it started doing it again,today it started right up. This is my first vw,four months ago i was going to trade into a new tdi golf,because i can't trust a vw(or is it the dealership) i opted for a toyota. with the execpt of this it has been a great veh. Does anybody have any ideas

exalted_tdi

TDI
2006 Jetta

Thanks for the startup posts! They're terrific!
I am a proud new owner of a 2006 Jetta TDI and it is phenominal! I can't describe to you in proper english of elegant and classy, yet edgy this car is!!! I just had to get it out. lol

makin' money

TDI
1998 Volkwagon TDI
I am new to this and not sure where to start for a posting of a TDI engine? thank you makin' money

terryk777

TDI
99 golf
terryk777

Anyone in need of a PD engine or a ALH i have a alh without the camshaft
and it is new and the pd is new but this is complete. If any interested
the alh is going for $2500.00 and the pd is $6500.00 or make a offer

mark h

TDI
91 Syncro 16 Doka AFN TDI
Newbie with a mess !

I bought a 91 Syncro Doka with a 1.9 td, which now we think is a TDI. A good thing ,Yes? However who ever did the install left the instrument cluster, ecu, wiring harness and fuse pannel in the belly compartment and tapped into the existing fuse pannel to make it run. Along with the mess was the throtle cable rigged to a potentiometer. The potentiometer has gone south. Im basicly looking for help, maybe a shop someone can refer me to so I can sort out the wiring mess. Im in the LA, CA. area.

Last edited:

Beamen

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
1999.5 Jetta Problem, after slowing down, for an off ramp, after a 120 km trip, I had no power (felt like no turbo, everything was good up to that point with lots of power ) it continued to that way the last 3 km home at highway and residental speeds. When I got home turned off car let it sit for 30 seconds to a minute. Then restarted and normal power was back. Any ideas would be great. I put a lot a lot of km on this car and was planning to take this car, on a nonstop trip to Los Vegas (2300 km) this week.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Beamen said:
1999.5 Jetta Problem, after slowing down, for an off ramp, after a 120 km trip, I had no power (felt like no turbo, everything was good up to that point with lots of power ) it continued to that way the last 3 km home at highway and residental speeds. When I got home turned off car let it sit for 30 seconds to a minute. Then restarted and normal power was back. Any ideas would be great. I put a lot a lot of km on this car and was planning to take this car, on a nonstop trip to Los Vegas (2300 km) this week.
Read up on "limp mode". It's fairly common, with a number of possible causes, and sometimes happens even to TDIs in pretty good condition. Solution is to restart the engine -- you can even do it without stopping, just push in the clutch or shift into neutral.

Most likely you can drive it to Las Vegas and back. If the cause is a sticky turbo actuator, some long-distance driving through the mountains might help free it up. Just don't try any sudden acceleration while climbing a steep grade.

If this has happened frequently in the past, then have someone hook it up to VAGCOM.

tgeo169

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Replacing battery without radio code

I am a newbie and want to post a question. If I'm not doing it correctly can someone please let me know the correct procedure? Here's my question:

I want to replace the battery in my 2003 Jetta wagon because I need it for a genset that I am building and 4-1/2 years on a battery is probably pushing it. Is it sufficient to follow the procedure in the service manual or are there gotchas that I need to know about? Also I can't find the radio code which is mentioned in the SM. A friend who has a Beemer said he bought a battery saver from BMW which he plugged into the cigarette lighter and it kept all the system info while he changed the battery. Will this work in a TDI and if so where do I buy one?

George

bizack

TDI
2006 Jetta
doors lock when I close the trunk

I have a 2006 Jetta. When I close the trunk after openning it with the remote the doors lock as soon as I close the trunk. It happens every time and is a real pain to have to then unlock the doors in my own garage. The dealer said this cannot be changed, but I can't believe every Volkswagen driver before me has not complained about this. Is the dealer clue-less or am I just too picky. Any thoughts?

Fustigate

TDI
2001 2dr Golf
Hey guys, i have a 2001 golf with 50k miles and i seem to have an oil leak in the general area behind of the vaccume pump, i just changed the seal for the pump and it doesnt seem to be the valve cover. so i was wondering if anyone has an idea of where it might be coming from. Thanks

ejpomeroy

TDI
Jetta MY2001 & Passat 2015
Newbie to this list - don't have owner manual, 2001 TDI came without it. Have had it for 1 week. Manual on order - meantime........
Q1 - Is the steering column adjustable? If so, how?
Q2 - Reception on radio (especially AM) is really poor. what I can receive in my (much older) GM or Benz dies out at about 1/2 the distance on the TDI - antenna connection on roof is clean and appears sound - any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks,
Edward

ejpomeroy

TDI
Jetta MY2001 & Passat 2015
Newbie to this list - don't have owner manual, 2001 Jetta TDI came without it. Have had it for 1 week. Manual on order - meantime........
Q2 - Reception on radio (especially AM) is really poor. what I can receive in my (much older) GM or Benz dies out at about 1/2 the distance on the TDI - antenna connection on roof is clean and appears sound - any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks,
Edward

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
ejpomeroy said:
Flip the lever under the steering column.

This problem is somewhat common, though I haven't had it. Try doing a search for "radio reception antennae" using a Boolean search. If that doesn't point you in the right direction, modify the search terms.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Toureg fuel economy.

Dear Folks, anybody out there with the 10 cyc Toureg. My fuel economy
is not good 17-20 city and 22 hwy. It has tons of power but??? What are
other people getting? Regards p930man

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
I'm new here.

I bought my first VW Diesel about 2 months ago & have since lifed it & destroyed the clutch. it's a 1986 golf diesel. i'm looking to swap in a 1.9 tdi from a mk3 as soon as possible. I have done several motor swaps - nothing cool like a tdi though - just aba's 16v's.... anyhow if anyone knows of a 1.9 swap that's floating around i would be very very interested in doing that as soon as possible

looking for engine & wiring & ecm & tranny. already have all the stuff required to swap cable shift into the car - just need the tdi trans with the mot.

any help would be great.
email is
David@Rtuning.org

thanks!

XLR8R

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 speed
Newbie here. I am in the process of buying my first TDI, a 2001 Jetta 5 speed in a beautiful blue with grey interior. I will be the 3rd owner and it currently has 68k on the odometer. I have a quick question, I have looked at this site a few times and haven't seen this addressed yet. What is the expected longevity of the TDI if properly cared for? The highest mileage I have seen so far is 266k on a Jetta that had just had a lot of major service and looked like it was ready for another 266k. Anybody care to sound in? Thanks!

Paddyboy

TDI
none
New to TDI's. Found this site while searching for a TDI. I can't seem to find one in the central new york area but I'm looking for a '99 Golf GLS. Right now I'm paying about $240 a month in gas and I need something more economical. I have always liked VW's and soon I won't be able to borrow someone elses car so I need one of my own. If anyone knows of a fairly inexpensive TDI in the NY/DC/MD/VA I would greatly appreciate the tip.

Cheers,

Paddy-

Last edited:

XLR8R

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 speed
I am picking up my 2001 Jetta TDI Thursday here in California. I found it on Autotrader.com that is a really good sight. Good luck!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
XLR8R: The life expectancy for a TDI motor varies/hovers around >400K
MAKE sure that the OIL IS the correct oil(SYNTHETIC and APPROVED!)
That the maintenace intervals are done ASAP/or before to the miles specified, specially the TIMING BELT and LIFTERS :eek: !
You'll have fun, before and after MOD'DING :D .

PADDYBOY: Check "Craigslist.org" under "TDI", give yourself a number of cities to search at.
You WILL find one, a good one soon :cool: !