Golf MKV - Engine oil all leaked out!!

Tony Soprano 1966

TDI
Golf MK5 TDI SE PD
Hi guys,last night when I was about a mile from home,a check oil level light popped up with the alarm noise,and kept doing it until I got home.I assumed it must be a faulty oil pressure switch,but checked the oil level first just in case the oil level was low,only to find it was TOTALLY empty!! I mean not even a drop on the dipstick,now I know this is not due to lack of topping up,as I check it about once a month and it very rarely needs topping up.Looked like there was a fair bit of oil on the engine undertray,so guessing it must be leaking out somewhere?Meanwhile I topped up the oil,and will try and see if I can spot where it is coming from.Any ideas where the most likely points it could leak from would be?Could any damage to the engine have happened in that short distance I drove with the warning light on,and potentially zero oil in block?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I cannot give you any advice in regard to where to look for leaks, but if the check oil level warning comes up, you should stop and turn off the engine right away.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
In this case, it wouldn't have made a difference. He was only a mile away. The oil level was probably pretty low before the warning. Just add oil and see if the level changes.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
In this case, it wouldn't have made a difference. He was only a mile away. The oil level was probably pretty low before the warning. Just add oil and see if the level changes.
I disagree. If there were catastrophic oil failure (leak), the engine could be damaged in a matter of a few hundred feet, depending on RPM and load.

Internet diagnosis of this scenario is dangerous, with way too many variables. OP needs to have it checked out.

Sadly, I think we can all empathize with the OP. With VW's record of random false warnings, it's easy to ignore any warning and think, "...I can make it home, it's only a mile...". Hopefully he'll not discover any real damage.

GOOD LUCK!

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I disagree. If there were catastrophic oil failure (leak), the engine could be damaged in a matter of a few hundred feet, depending on RPM and load.
Internet diagnosis of this scenario is dangerous, with way too many variables. OP needs to have it checked out.
Sadly, I think we can all empathize with the OP. With VW's record of random false warnings, it's easy to ignore any warning and think, "...I can make it home, it's only a mile...". Hopefully he'll not discover any real damage.
GOOD LUCK!
There was probably engine damage before the light came on, that was my point. It's nothing a used engine couldn't fix. :D

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Look at the oil pan for cracks, Turbo oil return and supply lines, oil cooler o rings.

Tony Soprano 1966

TDI
Golf MK5 TDI SE PD
Thanks for your replies,It was probably more like half a mile actually,and the oil light did not stay on,it just came every few minutes,also it did not tell me to stop,only to check oil level.Are you saying that by the time this warning light comes on it is probably already too late?I thought the point of the warning was to let you know when the oil was low,not empty?After topping it off with oil,I started it up and all seems ok,no more warning light,how long before any signs of potential engine damage would show?Dont really have the gear here now to start getting under car etc,but did notice the EGR valve looked pretty oily,and the leak seems to be from rear of engine somewhere.Will have to get it checked out by my mechanic,luckily he is a very short drive from me,will update when I find the problem :cool:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for your replies,It was probably more like half a mile actually,and the oil light did not stay on,it just came every few minutes,also it did not tell me to stop,only to check oil level.Are you saying that by the time this warning light comes on it is probably already too late?I thought the point of the warning was to let you know when the oil was low,not empty?After topping it off with oil,I started it up and all seems ok,no more warning light,how long before any signs of potential engine damage would show?Dont really have the gear here now to start getting under car etc,but did notice the EGR valve looked pretty oily,and the leak seems to be from rear of engine somewhere.Will have to get it checked out by my mechanic,luckily he is a very short drive from me,will update when I find the problem :cool:
It has to be really low for the light to come on. That's why you're suppose to check your oil level every time you fill up at the gas station.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's an oil PRESSURE gauge (idiot light), NOT an oil LEVEL gauge. The oil level can be quite low and still be building pressure, thus no warning light. as narongc73 said, it has to be quite low to trigger the low pressure light.
Hope you solve your problem.

Tony Soprano 1966

TDI
Golf MK5 TDI SE PD
Ok,turned out to be an easy fix guys.It was the rubber seal on the engine oil filter.
Must have been either a faulty one,or had worn out,or most likely had been incorrectly fitted.It was a Mann filter,so not a cheap copy.Does not seem to be any engine damage as a result of having very little oil in the engine,fingers crossed this old gal has many more miles in her :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It's an oil PRESSURE gauge (idiot light), NOT an oil LEVEL gauge. The oil level can be quite low and still be building pressure, thus no warning light. as narongc73 said, it has to be quite low to trigger the low pressure light.
Hope you solve your problem.
Besides you, who is saying it's an oil level gauge? What they were saying was that if the oil level gets too low the light will come on because of no oil pressure.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ok,turned out to be an easy fix guys.It was the rubber seal on the engine oil filter.
Must have been either a faulty one,or had worn out,or most likely had been incorrectly fitted.It was a Mann filter,so not a cheap copy.Does not seem to be any engine damage as a result of having very little oil in the engine,fingers crossed this old gal has many more miles in her :)
The most common mistake is having the o ring above the recess in the cap. Who did the last oil change?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
The oil pressure gauge only works above 2000rpms. Maybe thats why op didnt "see it on all the time" after it went on.

Other things to consider are that turbo and camshaft/cam bearings suffer first when engine is starved of oil.

And VW has offered a Oil level sensor in several markets that for some strange reason was not available in the US tdis.

This oil level sensor icon is amber on the dashboard. there is also a Oil level message on the MFD. The oil pressure icon is red on the dashboard (together with the "stop!" Message on the MFD)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Besides you, who is saying it's an oil level gauge? What they were saying was that if the oil level gets too low the light will come on because of no oil pressure.
Uhh...How about the OP's very first line: "...a check oil level light popped up with the alarm noise..."????

...and the 2nd post:"... but if the check oil level warning comes up..."

Last edited:

Tony Soprano 1966

TDI
Golf MK5 TDI SE PD
Ok guys,have done over 500 miles since the incident and the car seems to run fine with no loss in performance.It looks like the oil level warning light saved the day for me on this occasion at least.It makes sense that it would warn you BEFORE it is too late,even if the oil level is critical.
I wonder if the warning lights here are different to what you have in the US,at no point did I see anything warning me to "Stop!".

Ol'Rattler,I think you are right about the position of the o ring,it was me that fitted it so must have done it wrong.What is strange is,that I fitted it almost a year ago,so it was fine all that time,and used zero oil during that period.