Changed fuel pump - now car won't start

scanchattanooga

TDI
2004 Jetta
Car is an '04 Jetta TDI... local dealer wanted $130 for a fuel filter change, I figure I can do it myself, and didn't run into any problems until I was done. Put it all back together (not that there's much to be put back together), cranked the car and it came right to life... for about 30 seconds, then it sputtered and died and won't crank anymore. It tries to start, but never does.

I've checked, and I do have fuel coming out of the filter, so not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

--mws
http://www.scanchattanooga.com/

scanchattanooga

TDI
2004 Jetta
Fixed it!

Well, after some searching I found a few more hints and tips... I made sure the new filter was full of fuel, tapped it a bit to ensure no air bubbles, then reconnected it and used my wife's car to jump-start the Jetta, and after some hesitation it finally cranked and came to life.

I like it... drives like it did when it was new!

Thanks to the board members who've posted about their past experiences with fuel filter changes... helps out newbies like me.

--mws
http://www.scanchattanooga.com/

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Ain't life here grand ? I have saved thousands in labour by doing stuff myself and most of the info came from here.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I did the same darn thing the first time, and I lost prime so it took awhile to get the car re-started. My question now is though, while the car is idling I still see bubbles in the fuel line going to the pump, is this normal/ok? It has been like this since 2,000kms after the last fuel filter change. I also notice when I turn the car off for awhile, there is a bubble in the same fuel line right in the middle? Any concern? Car seems to start and run fine though, just do not want to stress the fuel pump out :)

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
A question for you A4/A5 types with the PD motor.

In the B5.5 Passat, we can either prime the filter or hotwire the in tank lift pump by attaching a lead from the positve terminal to the right side of the fuel pump fuse socket (#28). The pump then purges the air from the lines and the filter after 45 seconds or so. Can the same be done with an A4/A5 and if so, what is the # of the fuse?

Knowing how to turn on the lift pump is also useful to help pump gasoline out of the tank...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I would imagine that would work. I think the fuse trick energizes the relay coil, which closes the relay contacts, and supplies power to the pump. I do not know if the relay contacts are "hot" with the key off. I may look into this.

I just use my Pela oil extractor to suck the new filter full of fuel when I change fuel filters. I duct tape the Pela line to the "fuel out" barb on the filter after I install the new filter.

--Nate