AC Recirc Malfunction, then Fading AC Perf

Jesse Falsone

Last fall my AC recirc started malfunctioning. Instead of the air velocity from the vents increasing, it decreases when I push the recirc. I continued to use the AC w/o the recirc. Now, AC performance is nearly gone. Any cause/effect here with the recirc and AC performance? System pressure seems to check out OK. Discharge pipe not getting cold leads me to believe compressor is shot.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Re. AC performance- you might just need a recharge. Buy a couple of cans of R134a (I used one with sealant in it, and PAG oil, of course). The adapter hose is pretty cheap.

The vent flaps work through a vacuum system. I've been working on my A2 the last few days and found a broken plastic linkage gear. First check the vacuum connections at the pump and going into the firewall. You will need to pull apart some of the dash to troubleshoot the control module.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
i agree with tom, exact thing wrong with my recirc button; there's a small diameter vacuum hose plugged into a nipple on the firewall, right where the heater core hoses come out of the firewall. Look around for a disconnected small hose or a broken plastic end (it's hard brittle plastic, then rubber hose) and replace it with new vacuum hose, connect it to that nipple and you should have recirc function.

as for a/c itself, small leak perhaps? we're supposed to use a/c in winter sometimes, just to lubricate the system and o-rings so leaks don't develop. try a recharge though, with good PAG oil and NO LEAK STOPPING r134a, get the kind with UV dye to help find a leak, if one exists. good luck.

Jesse Falsone

The recirc issue was a plastic bag stuck under the footwell.

Going to check the pressure in the system before I go ordering parts. Tx