Battery Group Size 48(H6)/49(H8) Questions for A3 2011 TDI 2.0.

JDN2000ca

TDI
Audi A3 TDI 2011
Hi Folks,
I own a 2011 A3 TDI 2.0, which i purchased used 5 months ago. With this brutal cold winter we are having in North America (Canada) in my case, i have run into the issue of having my car start on the cold days. Once temperature drops to -25deg Celsius or lower, the battery cranking power drops and the crank time takes longer. This indicates a weak battery with extreme cold weather. I have no issues with warmer temperatures with my current battery.

My question is that I have searched some internet parts stores and the majority recommend a battery group size 49 and not the 48 which my car comes with. The only issue is that the battery box only fits the group 48 battery. The 49 is couple inches bigger. I suppose the group 48 size OEM is ok for a gas car but in a TDI not sure it is a strong enough battery for this cold weather and glow plugs pre heating.

Has anyone had this issue or converted from the 48 to other size. Any input on this topic will be helpful, before i make any new battery replacement. Of what I can see in the Battery compartment section, there is actually no way the 49 will ever fit, it is too long.

Therefore i will need to look for a 48 size that has a little more AH or CCA.

The current OEM battery is: 5K0 915 105 G
12v 72AH 380A DIN
640 A EN/SAE

Need one with 80 AH approx or that can hack -30deg Celsius cold weather .

What you folks recommend? Or what have you folks tried out as brands that can do the job?

Txs
Joe

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I had to replace the battery in my '09 Jetta a year or so ago. The battery Advance Auto put on the counter was clearly smaller than the OE battery. The counter man and I went to the back room and found a battery dimensionally equal to the OE battery with terminals in the same places and considerably greater AH capacity as well as CCA. I is listed for late model GM pickups and lists for $10 less than the one shown on the computer for the TDI. My 2012 A3 battery is identical to the one in the Jetta. Hope this helps.

Hi Folks,
I own a 2011 A3 TDI 2.0, which i purchased used 5 months ago. With this brutal cold winter we are having in North America (Canada) in my case, i have run into the issue of having my car start on the cold days. Once temperature drops to -25deg Celsius or lower, the battery cranking power drops and the crank time takes longer. This indicates a weak battery with extreme cold weather. I have no issues with warmer temperatures with my current battery.

My question is that I have searched some internet parts stores and the majority recommend a battery group size 49 and not the 48 which my car comes with. The only issue is that the battery box only fits the group 48 battery. The 49 is couple inches bigger. I suppose the group 48 size OEM is ok for a gas car but in a TDI not sure it is a strong enough battery for this cold weather and glow plugs pre heating.

Has anyone had this issue or converted from the 48 to other size. Any input on this topic will be helpful, before i make any new battery replacement. Of what I can see in the Battery compartment section, there is actually no way the 49 will ever fit, it is too long.

Therefore i will need to look for a 48 size that has a little more AH or CCA.

The current OEM battery is: 5K0 915 105 G
12v 72AH 380A DIN
640 A EN/SAE

Need one with 80 AH approx or that can hack -30deg Celsius cold weather .

What you folks recommend? Or what have you folks tried out as brands that can do the job?

Txs
Joe