Lets build a CCV filter

TDI-WAi

TDI
1997 tdi 110 Passat
How about using some kind of vortex/ ventury seperator to extract the oil and release clean air. Two things have gone through my mind whilst reading the forum on CCV filters. Dyson and Koi fish ponds. Both have two things in common. Vortex removal of suspended particals. It basically works by spinning the medium (air or water) in a container and the cetripetal force pushes the heavier particals to the outside edge. You then have a take off from the centre of the container where the clean air should be. I was thinking would it not be possible to have the traping media around the outside edge with the air return pipe coming out of the middle??

I am not really an expert or anything on this but if one of the most famous and innovative designers/inventors can adapt this spinning action to make a great vacuum cleaner then maybe there is room for it in a car ccv seperator. Most of the examples that I have seen on this site are round anyway so why not just have the air intake at an angle instead of 90 degrees to the wall and use the spinning action to do the work. We all agree that the vapour needs to hit a surface before it re condenses so if the vapour was constantly forces into surfaces by the cetripetal force, this could be more efficient? What do you think guys??

Craig

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ricks99jettatdi:
Hi everyone, I have built a ccv filter that may be of interest to some. Sorry no pics.
It is made of pvc pipe and fittings.3/4"id. hose is run from ccv to 1/2" id. pvc pipe w / a 90 , a drop of 4" to 90 goes into 1 1/2 pvc(vertical) with pvc caps on both ends ( special holes drilled to fit 1/2" pipe), then rises to 1/2 90 and back to intake hose. 1 1/2" pvc is filled with copper mesh (scrubing pad) with screen on ether side. Seems to work pretty well. reduces oil
discharge 95%.
<hr></blockquote>

Some motors need more ventilation than others. This 1/2" section is too restrictive IMHO. I've found that even going down to 5/8" causes problems in my case, so I've found keeping it at 3/4" ID works perfectly. Also from experience I've learned to stay away from PVC at least when close to the engine. It started to melt close to the valve cover--those gasses are hot! Might be cooler where you have the mesh. Used 3/4" copper plumbing elbows and fittings for over a year now with zero problems.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Craig ]</p>

Ricks99jettatdi

TDI
1999.5 jetta
Graig, What kind of problems have you had with smaller i.d. pipe? The reason I used 1/2" pipe is because it fit inside 3/4" i.d. clear reinforced hose,that I used to go from the ccv vent over to my pvc (oil trap). I'm pretty happy with the results. about 95% reduction in oil going to the air intake and the turbo.When I made my 1st. one I blew into it with the copper mesh inside. and there was little resistaince so I figured it was fine. The hose does get warm but the pvc should resist the heat. but I'll be kepping an eye on my invention.Thanks.