Hesitation when cold

Wildwr

TDI
I have a 1997 Jetta TDI 1.9 AHU

Car hesitates just above idle, up to 2200rpm when car is cold first thing in the morning. After a couple minutes driving hestation goes away. This only happens when car is completely cold.

I have no loss of power and my VAG meter is showing nothing.

Car has 244,000kms
Oil changed 4500kms ago
Fuel filter changed 20,000kms ago

Thanks

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I have a 1997 Jetta TDI 1.9 AHU

Car hesitates just above idle, up to 2200rpm when car is cold first thing in the morning. After a couple minutes driving hestation goes away. This only happens when car is completely cold.

I have no loss of power and my VAG meter is showing nothing.

Car has 244,000kms
Oil changed 4500kms ago
Fuel filter changed 20,000kms ago

Thanks
My wife tells me my 1998 tdi hesitates (on cold start when in gear below 1500 rpm). My response was the car is not suppose to be in gear driving below 1500 rpm --- so stop lugging my engine. If yours is hesitating at 2200 rpm you could have an issue with your injection pump and/or your fuel injection quantity and/or clogged intake (or broke egr). You should also check out some simple maintenance stuff if that is not current (fuel filter/snow screen/air filter). Any of these can cause such problems.

I would start with the easiest (i.e after checking out the filter/snow screen stuff). What is your injection quantity number?; When was the last time you cleaned your intake? Based on your mileage your injectors may need some diesel purge service or replacement. But alas, I am guessing as the car is not in front of me.

Wildwr

TDI
The car has hesitation/surging from just off idle up to 2200rpm only when its cold and has sat overnight.
It does this while driving and sitting in drivway revving it up, with a lot of bluish grey smoke.

It runs completely smooth after a minute or two of driving and temperature gauge starts to rise and the smoke disappears.

Intake system is completely clean.

I'm thinking more along the line of a Water Temperature Sensor or injection Quantity needing adjustment.

Last edited:

Wildwr

TDI
fixed

After doing several diagnostic tests, cleaning contacts. i ended up changing the Air Mass Sensor located between the air claenr box and intake tube.

problem solved.