Tires

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
What Tires are you guys using? i need to replace mine and was hoping to find some that might eliminate road noise a bit. Im in houston, so im not to worried about snow.

tee-dee-eye

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
I'm still on the stock contis but when they wear out I'm planning to go Michelin. Depending on what balance of performance/comfort you want they have a wide variety of all-seasons and summers. I'll probably go with Pilot Sport 2s for the handling myself.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I recently upgraded from a used up set of Falken z set which was terrible, to a yokahama yk580 which are awesome so far. The noise and vibration that I had with the previous set is gone. Car is quiet and traction is very good. This set also blows away the OEM bridgestones that were mediocre at best. Price is very reasonable considering my size : 225-45 in 17in.

I also wanted to mentioned that I have experience with Continenental PureContact which is also a great tire in terms of comfort and traction.

Last edited:

TDI Tampa

TDI
2011 Jetta
I am sold on Michelin Primacy MXV. Have 33 k now and show hardly any wear. Handle unbelievable in rain. Had two sets of stock Continentals, and had multiple flats and they did not wear well.

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I put Michelin defenders on my Passat TDI and they are great but not offered in the A3 size. I will likely go with the MXV4 or similar when my stock Contis wear out. I had DWS before on a BMW and they were nice but I dont want to lose 2-3mpg if that is true

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
General Altimax RT or HP for summer.
General Altimax Arctic for winter.

Both are really Continentals and incredible tires for an inexpensive price. Summer tires are round, quiet, don't leak, have incredible wet grip and look like they will last forever. The Arctic gives up a little ice grip to Nokian and Blizzak, but work better in slush and snow.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I am sold on Michelin Primacy MXV. Have 33 k now and show hardly any wear. Handle unbelievable in rain. Had two sets of stock Continentals, and had multiple flats and they did not wear well.
i really like my nokian entyres (quiet lrr's) as an alternative to the michi's which i strongly considered. i also really dug my contiprocontacts. i too noticed they didn't wear well but they were great for cornering grip and soft riding. i've had flats in all the rubber i've put on. they must all be nail magnets!

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Same here I, I have 80K on mine and still have 5/32 left. Great in the rain, quite and good in the snow. (Mine are on a 06 Jetta)

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
i picked these up (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2012&autoModel=A3+2.0+TDI&autoModClar=Premium)

my MPG with my old tires (came with the car when i bought it used and were cupping bad) was 34-35ish in town and when i drove on a full tank on the highway i got 37ish while doing 70-74mph

these ones im really happy with and got 38ish (hand calculated) going 80-84ish all highway. Im hoping my city driving shoots back up to 37-38 again.. its really frustrating when its low for what the car should get.

TDI
Jetta(r), Golf(d)
Michelin Primacy MXV - Summer
ContiExtreme Winter Contact - Winter

These are excellent ride & contact performance on road & no change on mpg

A3TDI_NJ

TDI
2010 A3
Just picked up Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Very quiet and significant improvement in steering response with Contis. Just drove 200 miles will post MPGs after a full week of my normal driving. I expect same or better gas mileage as these are low resistance tires. Tire warranty is 70k and with deep tread should last a while.

9mmkungfu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen, 2006 Jetta
Just picked up Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Very quiet and significant improvement in steering response with Contis. Just drove 200 miles will post MPGs after a full week of my normal driving. I expect same or better gas mileage as these are low resistance tires. Tire warranty is 70k and with deep tread should last a while.
Curious to see how these turn out.

Which did you go with? I believe there are H-rated and V-rated versions.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Replaced originals with General G-Max AS03's, so far 10k miles, smooth and quite ride, good traction in wet n snow, not the best but for an all season good value for $$ spent. Not good for aggressive, sporty driving, soft side walls so have to go easy cornering or on n off the ramps.

ILShocker

TDI
none yet
Those of you using winter/summer tires do you have them mounted on separate wheels and if so did you go with the Audi standard wheels or find a decent aftermarket wheel. I would like to hear any good or bad you may have had with aftermarket or non factory wheels you are using.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Those of you using winter/summer tires do you have them mounted on separate wheels and if so did you go with the Audi standard wheels or find a decent aftermarket wheel. I would like to hear any good or bad you may have had with aftermarket or non factory wheels you are using.
I've been running summer/winter tires for about 30 years on up to five cars. I always use a set of rims for the winter tires, there is no point in paying for mounting and balancing over and over. As far as factory vs other wheel manufacturer, it does not matter. I usually pick up used steel wheels for my winter tires, but sometimes I find some cheap alloys with the right bolt pattern and offset.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Purchased a set of aluminum rims at the dealer which were aftermarket and they came with Gislaved snows. Very happy with the tires. Absolutely no noise or vibration. Great traction. Probably buy another set next winter as these ones are close to done.

Buds

TDI
Audi A3 TDI
I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DWS for 31,000 miles. 2 out of 4 had to be replaced in the past 12 months due to nail punctures. 1 tire is practically bald and needs to be replaced over 18,000 mi short of manufacture est. treadlife. The 2nd is still going strong. I'd say the tires are pretty solid and perform well. However I think I'm going to switch to high performance summers and buy a set of winter/snow tires and rims instead of running the All Seasons year round.