Current buy back timeline?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
You 100000% need a seal. Otherwise you can just fill out notary information by hand and no one would know the difference.
OK, I just re-did the notarization, this time with a different Notary who had a seal. I just uploaded it to the VW Claims site. Let's hope it works this time.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
If you already have a replacement car, does it makes sense to keep the old car sitting around till December? Do you get more money each month it sits? You still want to keep it insured for comprehensive and minimum required liability. Not sure if that all makes sense.

Can anyone help me out here?
Go to https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ and enter your car info. Don't worry about selecting correct options (sunroof, nav etc) then enter current mileage. It will give you buyback for Aug. Then change Months since Sep 2015 to 36(sept), 37(oct), 38(nov), 39(dec). If value goes up, you will know which month and by how much.

You might need to keep it until Sept then it makes sense. If you need to keep it until December, you can calculate your costs and see if its worth it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
If you already have a replacement car, does it makes sense to keep the old car sitting around till December? Do you get more money each month it sits? You still want to keep it insured for comprehensive and minimum required liability. Not sure if that all makes sense.
Can anyone help me out here?
In answer to the last question: I'm not sure, but here goes.
The first question: probably not.
The second question: maybe.*
The third question (implied, even though it lacks a question mark): it's probably a good idea, if it's still owned.
*You can make more money letting it sit, as the mileage charge will operate in reverse as the months pass and the car isn't being driven. Hence, one will "make money." Is it worth it to me? Our Passat has been sitting out on the street accumulating pigeon poop for the past month as we drive our nice new Honda Accord. But only because it took that long to get an appointment, and only for a few more hours, as the Passat gets turned in at 1030 this morning.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
We really liked the Sportback for the hatch, in the past we owned several SAAB hatchbacks, and really enjoyed the utility...the same reason we considered holding on to check out the Arteon when it arrives. But the Accord just struck us as the right car for us, and maybe we were ready for a change. Tomorrow the Passat goes back to VW.

Yes, the SAAB 3-door and 5-door cars were amazingly practical. They provided most of the utility of a minivan or SUV while having the driving dynamics of a car.

I was interested in the Arteon but VW is taking their own sweet time in introducing them in the US, so I had to cross them off the list.

Good luck to you...

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
UPDATE: Received a response yesterday from VWGoA Online Claims. They've accepted my notarized offer letter and I can now pick a return date. Return dates seemed to be at least two weeks out (Wed and Fri only) and all dealers in my area were still accepting returns. I just booked my tentative return appointment for Oct 10th. All tentative on finding the right deal on a replacement vehicle. I started all this on the 24th of July. The whole process took me about two weeks.

Now, GTI Autobahn or WRX Limited? hmmmmmm. 19's are already showing up at Subaru lots.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
In answer to the last question: I'm not sure, but here goes.
The first question: probably not.
The second question: maybe.*
The third question (implied, even though it lacks a question mark): it's probably a good idea, if it's still owned.
*You can make more money letting it sit, as the mileage charge will operate in reverse as the months pass and the car isn't being driven. Hence, one will "make money." Is it worth it to me? Our Passat has been sitting out on the street accumulating pigeon poop for the past month as we drive our nice new Honda Accord. But only because it took that long to get an appointment, and only for a few more hours, as the Passat gets turned in at 1030 this morning.
Thank you, Rico.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Go to https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ and enter your car info. Don't worry about selecting correct options (sunroof, nav etc) then enter current mileage. It will give you buyback for Aug. Then change Months since Sep 2015 to 36(sept), 37(oct), 38(nov), 39(dec). If value goes up, you will know which month and by how much.
You might need to keep it until Sept then it makes sense. If you need to keep it until December, you can calculate your costs and see if its worth it.
Thank you. That helped. What I see is that I get a bump-up if I wait till Sept (about $400), but after that it's the same. I think that's because -- and maybe you or someone can confirm this -- the mileage/buyback tables are in 5,000 mile brackets, and until you move into the next bracket nothing changes.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Thank you. That helped. What I see is that I get a bump-up if I wait till Sept (about $400), but after that it's the same. I think that's because -- and maybe you or someone can confirm this -- the mileage/buyback tables are in 5,000 mile brackets, and until you move into the next bracket nothing changes.

That is correct. To get bumped to the next higher mileage credit, you will have to leave the car parked for maybe another 5 months, which will be past the end of the buyback program.

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have my appointment scheduled and chose an electronic transfer but no where was I asked for bank routing and account number. Does that happen at the dealer or did I miss something?

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
I have my appointment scheduled and chose an electronic transfer but no where was I asked for bank routing and account number. Does that happen at the dealer or did I miss something?
It happens after the visit with the dealer. The dealer will give you a flyer that spells out the process, but basically Chase bank will send you an e-mail with a link to a website where you build an account and enter banking info. After the appropriate number of business days elapse, money will magically appear in your bank account. :)

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
Well, I dropped off my car at the local VW dealer today. I was a little sad turning it in, as I really didn't have any problems with it, and it was a fun little car to drive.
I hear you ~ although I'll likely get another Golf, so the fun factor is still there. But I had a bit of an emotional attachment to this one. What'd you replace yours with?

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
Well, looks like this notary stamp versus seal matter may be a problem for me, here in WA state. My attorney is a notary and has a stamp only. Contains all the pertinent info, but is "just" a stamp, not an embossed seal per se. Out of curiosity, I stopped by and asked an acquaintance who's also a notary. Like my attorney, she only has a stamp, no seal. (This is in WA state, btw.)

So. Not sure what to do other than upload the documents as completed and wait and see.

Meanwhile, I realized the mileage accruing on my car between now & the time I turn it in is going to be a good chunk higher than anticipated. Forgot about driving a son to college and a couple of other higher-mileage drives I need to make over the course of the next month or two. Guessing that'll make a dent in my buyback payment. Rats.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, looks like this notary stamp versus seal matter may be a problem for me, here in WA state. My attorney is a notary and has a stamp only. Contains all the pertinent info, but is "just" a stamp, not an embossed seal per se. Out of curiosity, I stopped by and asked an acquaintance who's also a notary. Like my attorney, she only has a stamp, no seal. (This is in WA state, btw.)

So. Not sure what to do other than upload the documents as completed and wait and see.
Well, you can try uploading the docs, and either they'll accept them or reject them. They rejected mine, saying "invalid notarization". I assume it was because there was no seal. Everything else was completely in order.

Most notaries do not have a seal. They are rarely needed. They have no legal significance. You'll have to search for a notary with a seal. I did and I just found one. Try a law firm that you know. Lawyers might be more likely to have a seal than a paralegal or secy.

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
You'll have to search for a notary with a seal. I did and I just found one. Try a law firm that you know. Lawyers might be more likely to have a seal than a paralegal or secy.
Thanks! Both notaries I talked with, including the one who I had notarize the document, are attorneys who have been in practice for decades. So, we'll see. I've read a number of posts here from people who had only a notary stamp and whose paperwork wasn't rejected. Sounds like it's a matter of luck as to whether it passes muster or not.

Last edited:

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, looks like this notary stamp versus seal matter may be a problem for me, here in WA state. My attorney is a notary and has a stamp only. Contains all the pertinent info, but is "just" a stamp, not an embossed seal per se.
Florida also only has a stamp, and VW took it with no problem (at least in my case).

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
Assuming the electronic funds transfer goes smoothly, this should all be over by the middle of next week.
And everything did go smoothly. Money was in my account on August 6.

I started the process on June 27, and was completely done on August 6. All together it was 5.5 weeks.

There were a couple delays in getting through the process. The first delay was getting the state of Florida to snail mail me my title. That took one week. If you have an e-title in Florida, put your request in for the title ASAP. You need the paper title in hand to upload to the website, and you need to turn it in with the car.

The second delay was making the appointment at the dealer. The website only lets you book appointments two weeks out. My dealer only took buybacks on Thursday, and VW opened up the website for appointments to me on a Friday. So I had to wait three weeks for the soonest date I could turn in my car.

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well, looks like this notary stamp versus seal matter may be a problem for me, here in WA state. My attorney is a notary and has a stamp only. Contains all the pertinent info, but is "just" a stamp, not an embossed seal per se.
I used my bank. They only have a stamp and it went through without a problem. Their stamp is round and once you scan it, it looks like a seal, but is easier to read.

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
I used my bank. They only have a stamp and it went through without a problem. Their stamp is round and once you scan it, it looks like a seal, but is easier to read.
I'll keep this in mind if I need to redo. I've already uploaded the documents with my attorney's stamped notarization. I looked at several WA state notarizations on other documents I have on file. They're all stamps, none are embossed seals. None contain the county, just the state and commission expiry date. So, fingers crossed...!

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
Following up on this, the notary stamp was sufficient and the settlement offer acceptance is completed. My local dealer has buyback appointments all day, two days weekly, from September through the end of the year. Now I need to bite the bullet and decide which replacement vehicle to purchase!

Whole process required maybe two hours of my time and was easily accomplished within a couple/few weeks.

~ Colleen

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine was the one that was rejected due to no seal. I resubmitted with a seal, and it was approved.

Now I just need to make the appt, but first I gotta find a replacement. I'm leaning toward a gas Jetta/Passat instead of TDI.