Transmission swap auto to manual question

LordGunner

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9L 6 speed manual
I am getting closer and closer everyday to buying the transmission kit to convert my auto into a manual but I do have a very serious question that I need to make sure is answered before I buy it.

First off I do have the Mk4 Jetta TDI 1.9L. Does the manual transmission for the 1.8T, 2.0T, and the 2.8T all line up the same for the 1.9T diesel or do I need one specifically for just for the TDI? I want to get the 6 speed manual and thats why I need to know.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Diesel transmission gear ratios are different

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd look for a manual diesel donor car. A five speed is still a million times better than the auto..

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
There are two guys on here that can supply the entire kit for a complete swap whether you want five or six speed for the diesel with the proper ratios. They are frans in the Netherlands and Ryanp in the UK and can be found in the vendor section of this site.

Last edited:

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Why go through the hassle of having stuff sent overseas for tons of money when you can get them from California?
Qualitygermanautoparts.com is in California and has everything you need, you just need to call him up. I got an 02J from him with 152,000 miles on it for pretty short money.
I wonder what the overseas freight is on an 85lb + packaging gearbox is from the UK or the Netherlands, LOL
Buy local, as local as you can!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I agree. the shipping from overseas would be expensive.

A 6 speed isn't really a great idea since the syncros on them don't play well with a SMF. Also, if you ever have to replace the slave cylinder on a 6 speed, you have to remove the transmission to do it.

LordGunner

TDI
Why go through the hassle of having stuff sent overseas for tons of money when you can get them from California?
Qualitygermanautoparts.com is in California and has everything you need, you just need to call him up. I got an 02J from him with 152,000 miles on it for pretty short money.
I wonder what the overseas freight is on an 85lb + packaging gearbox is from the UK or the Netherlands, LOL
Buy local, as local as you can!
I know but Frans has the kit I want. I dont want to do the 5 speed, I want to do the 6 speed and they have everything for it so Ill gladly pay the extra money for shipping. Besides the one I need from your site thats a 5 speed (if I really wanted to do a 5 speed) is $849 for the cheapest one they have and I can get one from Frans for $975 with shipping included and looks like its in better condition. So I am just going to pay the extra money for the upgraded 6 speed since I am going to drive coast to coast this summer for a road trip.

Besides that I am going to pay the extra $475 for the new PD150 sachs flywheel+clutch set +pressure bearing. I am also going to order the Sigma 5 Speed Short Shift Kit and Panzer skid plates from www.dieselgeek.com. Depending on how much money I have left I may just go for it and buy the engine heater from www.frostheater.com.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
OH, I see. I missed the bit about the six speed. Neither did I realize you intended to spend extra cash on other goodies. I'm used to replacing things same/same and thought that all you wanted was an auto to stick conversion.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Seriously, the 6 speed isn't really an upgrade. If you have a SMF, it will destroy the syncros in a 6 speed. Sometimes you need to understand the difference between "what you want to have and what you need to have". The 5 speeds on these cars are pretty bulletproof. The 6 speeds not so much.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
02M six speeds in the earlier TDIs (PD150s in Europe) are pretty durable. They don't suffer the synchro issues that the newer 02Q does. I know a number of people who've gotten many trouble-free miles out of 02Ms. And it is an upgrade if you want a taller highway gear. 1-5 on a 02M with transmission code DRW is very much like the stock 5 speed, and 6th is considerably taller, giving you about 75 MPH at 2000 RPM. If you drive a lot at higher speeds this is nice.

LordGunner

TDI
I just need to know if its worth it cause Im always on the highways and interstates. Oh and how many miles you think I can get out of it before I have to have it rebuilt?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That depends a lot on the condition it's in when you get it. A properly maintained , not abused trans. should be good for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I just need to know if its worth it cause Im always on the highways and interstates. Oh and how many miles you think I can get out of it before I have to have it rebuilt?
Well, a taller highway top gear would be great. From what IBW reports, the earlier 6 speeds would certainly be viable.

If I had a DSG and could get my hands on an early 02m 6 speed like DBW alluded to for not a lot of money, I would jump on it.

If we could nail down what year 02M trannys are the early more desirable ones, you might be able to buy one in N/A if they ever came in cars that were sold here. Your only option might be something that was only delivered in Europe.

Is it worth it? IDK. Just depends on how important the mod is to you. For a lot of folks, the additional shipping costs from Europe would be a deal breaker.

As far as rebuilding goes, a properly driven and well designed manual will probably never need to be rebuilt. My old MB 240D was at 280K miles and still shifted fine and ran fine with no gear noise but was showing it's age because the shifting forks and shifting linkage were getting really worn.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
An 02M with correct gearing for TDIs never was sold here. It has to come from outside the US. It's not as inexpensive as getting a 5-speed, but since you're doing a swap anyway the incremental cost isn't as much as it would be to switch a 5 for a 6. You could probably find a 5-speed kit with everything you need for $800-1000, and a 6-speed will probably cost about twice that. You may still have to source pedals and the shifter to augment the six-speed kit, as those usually aren't included in six-speed conversions. I'm pretty sure the shifter and pedals from any MKIV will work, doesn't have to be a TDI.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Here is the way I look at it. Do you spend much time over 70+ mph as I do? Even 80mph as is becoming legal in more states? Get a 6 speed. It's wonderful. If you never spend significant time at or above 70, save your money and get a five speed. I've converted my three auto cars to 6 speed and have converted 3 of my 4 5 speed cars to six speed.
As far as clutches in these cars with 02M, I have only used the Sachs DMF that was used in the PD150. Also a wonderful clutch and smooth as glass. I'll never slip them with my stage 2 tune.
Freight from Europe is not bad really and ordering an entire kit from RyanP will usually arrive at my doorstep within 2 days.
Have had to order replacement axles for an 02M. They were here in 2 days. Even all the parts to rebuilt an 02M axle are available there.
Ryanp and frans both can include shifters, boots and clutch pedal. I usually source the pedal locally since the pedal in the UK cars are different due to right hand drive although he can get the proper one new.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Just having my 4 speed automatic swapped for a 5 speed manual picked up 8-10 MPG in my Beetle. Made the car drive better too - the manual gears work better, at least for me. I've thought about having a higher 5th gear put in, but that car doesn't spend that much time on the interstate to make it worth it.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
The automatics have a different IP and smaller injectors, making them less fuel efficient in the first place, IIRC.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yes - the autos came with the 11mm pump and the .158 (?) fuel injector nozzles. The net effect was to provide the same umph as the 5 speeds, but it was finer atomized. When my transplant was put in, I still had the stock fuel pump and nozzles - and I STILL got the 8 MPG jump.

About 45,000 miles later, my fuel pump finally quit. I still have an 11mm pump, but my trusted mechanic also added pp520 nozzles - good for more power (and smoke). Getting RC2 (semi customized) took care of the smoke in the usual driving range (1000-3000 RPM), but I still have the upper UMPH.