Looking at getting an ALH

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Hello everyone. I test drove a 2003 jetta tdi gl tonight and loved it. It is slow as dirt compared to my 98 jetta tdi with a tune, exhaust, and cam but that can be fixed. He has done an EGR delete and tuned it out in vagcom. The timing belt was done about 15,000 miles ago by him ( he builds high horsepower diesels for a living and from what i know about him, he is trustworthy.) he has a 1999 7.3l powerstroke with 350000 miles, running 80psi on his dual setup at 1100hp. I believe that he did the timing belt to spec and he verified it with vagcom. The jetta has 170000 miles on it and is clean inside and out. The suspension is a little squeaky (assuming control arm bushings or strut bushing). Anything i need to look for?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Automatic or 5-speed? Big difference!

At 170k miles, assuming the owner has done the regular maintenance properly, most likely he's driven it with respect. The clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel should be good for another 100k miles easily (I changed mine at 271k miles, still good for 50k).

At 170k miles, most likely brake pads, possible front end refresh is needed (at least sway bar bushings, not a big deal) and transmission oil change (5-speed) and a brake fluid flush for sure, unless documented recently.

Cam shaft and lifters should still be in good shape! Verify if he has been using the correct spec oil.

And, what jettawreck said....

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
He uses rotella t6 which i have used for years. He has inspected cam and is in good shape. It is indeed a manual as i have no faith in autotragics. it looks to be very well maintained. Excellent paint and interior. There looks to be a very small drip of coolant on the side of the head at that coolant flange, easily fixable. He has done heatercore job. I will check the brakes and rotors. It was weird to test drive compared to my 98. Dual mass was weird but ill get used to it. The odometer sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Any idea what that is? Maybe vss? Or electrical ground?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
5K miles on the older blend Rotella T was a good idea, according to my mechanic. Not necessary on the current blend. And heater core and blend door issues on A4s are pretty rare, at least in my experience.

The car probably needs struts and shocks along with suspension bushings, unless they've been replaced. Otherwise there's not a lot to look out for in an ALH. I'd check the intake manifold for clogging, that can be a cause of low power. And make sure the turbo actuator is working.

I will agree that when I drive my son's stock '02 Golf it feels bog slow compared to my wagon. Kind of amusing.

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Ibw, he has steam cleaned the intake manifold to brand new condition and intercooler/piping for intercooler in his shop. I don't want to scrape on speed bumps and heard that the H&R touring cup kit is as low as i should go. Is this correct? I know struts and shocks are in my future. I just want to get rid of that awful wheel gap!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My .02 is to put up with the wheel gap. These cars handle and ride much better at stock height or slightly taller. H&R Cup Kits are not known for either handling or ride quality.

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
What are some suggestions for a comfortable suspension in a price range of around $600? Maybe Konis or Bilstein HDs? I am not familiar with aftermarket suspension as I have only ever dealt with stock suspension in my 98 Jetta. Could i get rid of some of the wheel gap with a larger wheel/tire combo? Or would that make it look goofy. Any suggestions, especially those with aftermarket suspension, are accepted! Thank you all for the responses! I am super excited to get this car and start my new build!

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
1100hp 7.3???

show me the dyno sheets...
I am skeptical as well. He did show me a vid running only around 35psi and it looked scary fast so i can only imagine when those two gt38r's spool up, its a scary ride. He claims 9.8 second 1/4 mile 4x4. Bold claim to make if he can't back it up..i almost want to believe him. :eek:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What are some suggestions for a comfortable suspension in a price range of around $600? Maybe Konis or Bilstein HDs? I am not familiar with aftermarket suspension as I have only ever dealt with stock suspension in my 98 Jetta. Could i get rid of some of the wheel gap with a larger wheel/tire combo? Or would that make it look goofy. Any suggestions, especially those with aftermarket suspension, are accepted! Thank you all for the responses! I am super excited to get this car and start my new build!
Keep in mind that there's a lot of bits that might need freshening up. It all adds up. New shocks and struts will do little in the way of making you happy if you've got bad ball joints, rear axle bushings, sway bar bushings etc..

As mentioned, don't lower these things. Lots of skid plates are sold for these cars for a reason: lowering them more only means that the reason is amplified.

I recently put Koni STRs on the rear of my car. I've got struts and springs setting around waiting for the stars to align (need time AND good weather).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Suspension preferences are, in my experience, very subjective. What is good ride and handling to one person is sloppy (or harsh) to another. For example, lots of people like Bilstein HDs in MKIV cars. I hate them. I think Koni Reds are a great daily driver damper, good ride and acceptable handling, but I've had customers tell me they're too stiff. Subjective.

My own .02 would be Koni Reds if ride is more important than handling, Yellows if the other way around. STR.Ts if you want to keep costs down. Yellows and STR.Ts are available with springs from H&R for about 1" lowering if you're determined to lower (and on sale from us this weekend, hint, hint), and they are well matched.

I have Reds in my wagon and love them. Had FSDs before, liked them as much. And my son has STR.Ts in his Golf. Drove it the other day. Noticeable firmer ride, but not harsh and handles well. Like I said, subjective.

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Honestly, from yall's suggestions, i am not set on lowering. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice to get rid of the wheel gap, but not at the price of my oil pan, frame, and ride quality. That said, I guess i will be staying on stock springs as I doubt that they absolutely need replacing. I assume those are hit or miss...they are rusted or cracked and need to be replaced or they will last another 170k. I have looked and looked and looked at suspension choices and I think the only way to choose is to purchase a pair suggested and just shut up and enjoy.

atoughram

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I am skeptical as well. He did show me a vid running only around 35psi and it looked scary fast so i can only imagine when those two gt38r's spool up, its a scary ride. He claims 9.8 second 1/4 mile 4x4. Bold claim to make if he can't back it up..i almost want to believe him. :eek:
My Cummins runs 55psi max and I'd never claim half that horsepower. :D

bajatdi

TDI
2004 jetta
Hope he is not like the dude that came to buy my golf tdi. Told me how he is such a guru on strokers and duramax but said my low boost problem was a dealbreaker. I am a backwoods shade tree mechanic with "COMMON SENCE" And I tested and replaced the vnt actuator. A very big import facility could not get it off due to rust. They priced the lady a new turbo. I used my McGiver skills and replaced it without pulling turbo.

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Beautifully done baja... I do not think that it is the same guy though. Maybe he meant 1100 wtq? I am trying to give him the BOTD here :) haha we will see!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I also see Kerma has a sale on Koni Special D reds... anything on those?
They rock, I use them and love them. Ride is awesome. :D

Cough BS cough.
2000 whp big trucks have a hard time running 9's.