windshield wiper not spraying

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
what can I check?, filled the sprayer tank, and will not spray. I have a 2014 TDT Jetta Sports wagon
Thanks

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
See if you can here/feel the little pump running. You'll need a helper to sit in the driver's seat obviously.

I had to replace mine when I first got my car because someone used water and when it froze, it busted the pump

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Or the pump is frozen

Take the connector out , and measure voltage while activating pump :rolleyes:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Or the pump is frozen
Take the connector out , and measure voltage while activating pump :rolleyes:
Dimitri16V is spot on.. with the cold weather, I would look at the pump or more typically, the lines. If you still had a fair amount of summer blend windshield wiper cleaner, you could have an ice block. I realize you are in Tennessee versus Chicago (I have not looked at the weather) but that is what I have encountered the most.

I didnt have a heated garage to pull the car into for thawing the squinter lines, so I wrapped the from of the car with heavy moving blankets and let the car idle for 30 or so minutes. Added the winter blend and ran the the squirters.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well, if the hood is not completely closed, the wipers and washer will not operate. (Safety feature, maybe?) With the hood closed, turn on the ignition and hold the stalk to the wash position for about 15 seconds.

Open the hood and check for wetness at the R/H (passenger side) hinge. A very common leak point ever since the MK5's.

If you don't have freeze protected fluid something could be destroyed in cold weather. Here in Seattle, I've never seen WW fluid sold even in the summer, that wasn't protected for freezing weather. I could be wrong though. I've just never bought WW washer fluid that will freeze.

Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
The nozzles didn't spray then you may have done something then they started spraying again? It doesn't seem like you need a new pump. As Dimitri16V said check for power at the conector whilst someone turns on the pump. Clean connector and see what happens. I hate to see people shell out that much money for something that they may not need and waste time on a Saturday.

TurboDirectInject

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd
Here in Seattle, I've never seen WW fluid sold even in the summer, that wasn't protected for freezing weather. I could be wrong though. I've just never bought WW washer fluid that will freeze.
My mom in Colorado went to one of those 'dollar stores' and bought a gallon jug of 'windshield washer fluid'. She asked me to put it in her car, so I obliged. I noticed the jug didn't have one of those press down and turn safety caps, so I took a close look at the jug. She paid $2.00 for a gallon of water dyed blue. So yeah, it does exist.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Oh! And be careful of using your squirters first thing if it's freezing out and you park outside. I know that there's a tendency for the lines to pop off the various fittings due to increased pressures from blockages (frozen sections): I'd caution against trying to "fix" by securing more tightly as that may result in the tubing to rupture in some place that you don't want to go looking for- the connections, though not all that convenient, are nonetheless easier to get to than say under the headliner or behind the inner front fender. Lots to go wrong with rear washer squirters. So, yeah, watch that the fluid can withstand the temps that you vehicle is exposed to.