2011 Golf TDI Issue - Vents

MannyTheMan

TDI
Golf 2011
Hello All
First time posting! Anyway, I recently purchased a new TDI and love it so far. However, I do have a minor issue and perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I've consulted the owner's manual but it doesn't really help.

My issue is this: of the four vents, the outer vents or two closest to the driver and passenger doors (not the two middle ones) seem to push out extremely hot air no matter the temp I set on the climatic controls (except really cool temps). I usually like the temp around 20 C but even then the hot air comes out. I tried closing these two vents but, firstly, the windows start to fog up and, secondly, the manual says I shouldn't close them anyway for air flow. I find the hot air bothersome and uncomfortable on my face (when pointed up and away) and my legs (when pointed level).

I don't want a freezer in my car as it is winter here in Canada, just to stop/reduce this hot air. The two middle vents are fine, just the two I described.

Are all 2011s like this? Is there something I can do? Is there something wrong with my climatic controls? Thanks for any suggestions!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
are you setting the the vent adjustments to defrost? could be thinking that you're trying to knock out the frost on the side windows.

try a setting of mixed, face and foot see if it goes away. If not, I'd say it's a trip to the dealer for a check of the HVAC

MannyTheMan

TDI
Golf 2011
I have been using a mix of defrost and and foot. So perhaps that's all it is then? It's just that the temp of the air is so hot even when I set the climatic control to a lower setting. But, as you suggest, it could be this is normal. I wonder if other 2011s behave the same on the defrost/foot setting?

Thanks for the reply BTW.

ryCar

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 4dr/man, Grey
We have the same car and I don't think I can recreate your issue. I usually keep my temp at 72(F)/22(C) too, on the first level, and I am comfy in the VA Winter (Average is about 25-35 degrees F right now). Trying mixing the vents, but trust your gut and exercise your warranty of you think it's an HVAC issue.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think that is the basic design. I noticed that my 2010 JSW does the same thing. There is always some airflow out of the driver's side vent. I assume the same is true on the passanger's side but rarely sit over there. My toyotas do the same thing. Just reaim the vent so it's not blowing directly at you (towards the windows seems to help) and set the control towards feet and deforst and that seems to give the most restriction to that vent.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I have the manual HVAC controls but I also had air coming from the two outside dash vents. The difference is with an in between (comfortable) temp setting, I get cold air coming from the vents. There are also de-misting vents on top of the dash for the side windows, so I don't understand why they would design the outer dash vents to bleed air all the time as they do.