Turbo problem or other issue; weird noise! Expert advice needed.

spool time

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 A5 / 2000 A4 TDI
Hello:

I need some expert advice, and I will try to be as detailed as possible.

59K on my 2005.5, I did a fuel filter change last weekend (I badly needed a filter change as my car had been running poorly and loosing power from a dirty filter for approx 4 days.) And immediately after the change I noticed for the first time a noise, almost like a blow-off valve, during acceleration. I usually hear it, most of the time when I accelerate mid-way from a standstill, it almost feels like it occurs right before the turbo spools up. If a blow-off valve makes a ppsssssh sound, this kinda makes the same type of sound only halfway. It does not happen every time, but today I was able to make it do it in first gear and even in second, but from a very slow speed. I can kinda almost feel it in the car as well. Almost, along with the noise, the RPM's almost stick a little and then speed up right after the noise. It may happen more than I think, because if there is alot of background noise, I think it is too noisy to hear it. But like i said, mostly happens from a standstill, and I do not hear it when I use low acceleration, or high acceleration. I'm thinking it is too noisy to be heard when I accelerate fast, but I am not sure of that.

Also, not sure if it is related, and it has been to soon to post accurate MPG numbers, but I believe I have lost approximately 8 MPG in fuel economy recently. Like I said, to soon to know, and I am not sure it is related because I have recently added a roof rack, but my Display had been showing 8 MPG less than I usually get for the same trips. In other words, my display will say 45MPG coming back from work, the other day is showed 36MPG, something I have never gotten.

In advance I appreciate the advice. Like I said, I have 59K miles so my powertrain warranty is almost up, so i would like to get it fixed soon (I drive 700 miles a week). If it is anything involved, I would have to take it to the dealer or to mrchill, as about the only thing I can do is change filters. Thanks!

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Definately non-expert advice

spool time said:
OK, forget the expert advice, I will take any advice...:)
Well in that case...let the guessing begin. I only have experience in the ALH not the PD's...however if it started right after you messed around with the fuel filter go back to that location and look for anything obvious. Sounds air related so trace all your vacuum lines and boost lines to and from your turbo.
How is the car running? Is the turbo operating properly?
As for your mpg... putting on a roof rack affects the drag on your car more than you think. I keep mine in the trunk or shop until I actually need it.
Good luck...

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
My A3 was doing just this, and I found a small cut in the soft rubber elbow of the boost hose. It was hard to see, but under boost it was letting air "whoosh" out. Good luck!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The T fitting can cause problems if not reinstalled properly.
They tend to crack and the O-rings need to be replaced.

spool time

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 A5 / 2000 A4 TDI
I appreciate the info guys. I'm going to try to take it to MrChill's shop in Braintree tomorrow before work. I'll let you know.

spool time

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 A5 / 2000 A4 TDI
FYI - MrChill (i.e. Kraftwerke) checked out my car. Most likely needs glow plug replacement and more than likely the EGR valve needs to be cleaned. It was WELL worth taking the trip to see Chris at Kraftwerke. He was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. He took the time to go over different things about the car, his thoughts and what he could do to make it right. I really appreciated it. Basically it was like taking it to a VW service shop, just completely opposite, in that he listened to me and the issues, he took the time going through the car, and he cared about the car running right! Thanks chris.

Ron