2microntech - Helping to Keep Your Common Rail VW Alive!!

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Looks fine to me. For what it's worth mine has been sitting at about the same PSI as yours is for the past thousand miles.

Curious, what happened that caused the fitting on the aux pump to leak? Never noticed mine leaking anything, so I'm wondering why yours did (and why you're needing to keep an eye on it now).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Curious, what happened that caused the fitting on the aux pump to leak?
When you are removing that stock fuel line between the Aux pump and the fuel temperature sensor at the fuel pump end, you first move the hose clamp. Then you twist and pull on the hose to get it off of that fitting on the Aux pump. For several people (including me), the hose was stuck to the fitting tighter than the fitting was torqued into the pump. Therefore, when (if) you try to twist the hose counter-clockwise the fitting starts to unscrew. Once that fitting comes loose the copper crush washer that is on it doesn't seem to like to seal properly again. A new copper crush washer and/or some thread sealant is necessary to prevent leaks. This problem has occurred a few times now.

Have Fun!

Don

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
When Andrew installed my kits the same fitting was leaking.

The copper washer was oval as opposed to round. New washer fixed the issue.

ETA - with regards to the gauge. Mine sits at about 9-10psi regardless of engine temp. I talked to Andrew and he thinks it might be the gauge as they are fairly cheap...

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
-with regards to the gauge. Mine sits at about 9-10psi regardless of engine temp. I talked to Andrew and he thinks it might be the gauge as they are fairly cheap...
Engine temp is only marginally related to fuel temps and fuel temps (unless really cold) will have little to do with the fuel flow rate and the pressure differential across the filter (which is what the gauge measures). It is the Aux pump that generates fuel flow through the system. Theoretically, the maximum fuel flow through the filter will occur when running both fuel pumps with VCDS. Any actual fuel usage by the engine will subtract from this maximum flow. Our diesel engines use very little fuel while idling, so the gauge reading should be almost identical to the max at idle.

When Andrew installed my kits the same fitting was leaking.

The copper washer was oval as opposed to round. New washer fixed the issue.
This is the third case that I have heard of. Perhaps is might be a good idea for Andrew to include a new copper washer in the kits, just in case...
Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where would someone find the washer, in case they need it?
I suspect that you could find a "variety pack" with various sizes at just about any auto parts store. Copper crush washers are fairly commonly used in lots of different cars and other applications. I am not certain about the exact size needed.

Have Fun!

Don

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
After 230 miles… joints seem to be dry, engine performance seems fine, but haven’t done a full rack hill climb on the system yet. I will keep an eye on them, especially the aux pump fitting with copper washer. That joint was suspect of leaking right after I installed the kits. See picture below with red circle for aux pump fitting joint.
Red circle of aux fuel pump joint to keep an eye on:
Hello all,
The offending sealing washer is a 10mm inside diameter copper crush washer.
For some reason, it has a very large inside diameter, making it impossible to locate again, as it did when initially torqued.
Here is the fitting and washer:
A new washer can be commonly found in several Brake line applications for automotive and Motorcycles.
I'll now include one in the kits and make it a step in the instructions, with Torque.
Any members out there now, can pick up Dorman 66250 kit for a couple bucks from our friends at Rockauto, giving a good selection for spares!!
All the best,
Andrew

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Thanks for the info on that. Lucky for me the fitting never came loose!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Well, another 2Micron kit is installed.... Andrew is a genius. It fit perfect
with clearance. I admit I had my doubts. The tools below are more than you
need. I followed Andrews direction, I cleaned all the parts and cleaned the
area around where you install the pure flow adapter. It would have taken
about 3 hours, but I sliced the O-ring when installing the pure flow blocking
plug.... I had to run out and get another one. You may want to have spare
O-rings on hand. It was very easy to slice them for me. My pump housing
must have had a sharp edge.

Fits nice. Per Andrews instructions, I primed using a Ross Tech
(Vagcom) cable, both Aux Pump and Fuel Pump Relay Output tests.
I repeated the test over and over, alternating until I didn't hear any
odd sound, gurgling or whistling sounds ... Take your time. Started
immediately with out a stumble.

It is hard to tell, picture is deceiving, but everything fits with adequate
clearance. As I said, Andrew's kit is genius. It really fits well. I have to
move the coolant hose bumper to keep the hose from rubbing the filter.
I had not done it yet when I took picture.

Again picture does not show how nice it fits. The clearances are good.
Don't get me wrong, it is tight but fits with adequate clearance.

The finished product looks slick.

With parts, shipping, filter, gauge I guess I have about $450 into the kit.
It may not be bling like rims, but it's peace of mind. The engineering, fit,
finish and function of this fuel filter and clean fuel pump feed is excellent.
Thanks again to 2Micron.... Andrew you have a well thought out kit. You
should be proud of it. I know I am proud to own this addition to my TDI.

Last edited:

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
Great review gmcjetpilot!

Andrew, Any progress on the Passat kits?

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm so jelly, my car has another 3000km before extended warranty is up. I'm going in for one final check then I'm ordering this kit (christmas present for my car I think, don't tell my wife thou)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hope you get her something at least as expensive or you may end up sleeping in the car. Might be a little cold on Christmas night in Ontario.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Quick question, I'm definitely getting this kit - would it render the need for the nicktane kit pretty much useless? Or would there be benefit in adding that as well?

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Look a few threads down - simply a 1 or 2 micron ( micro glass or CAT) fuel filter kit for the alh's.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Gotcha, just took a look, the Contain Flow kit is basically the same thing, but made specifically to fit the CR. With both kits (pure flow and contain flow), you wouldn't need his setup.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...the Contain Flow kit is basically the same thing, but made specifically to fit the CR.
I think that they would go in different places. The "Contain Flow" is in the return line from the engine, but the Nictane (for an ALH) is a replacement for the factory filter. There are a few TDIClub members that have toyed with both. The installed the "Contain Flow" and "Pure Flow" kits from 2micron and they also replaced the factory filter with a finer filter (1 or 2 micron). I really do not know how necessary this might be.

One filter filters all fuel from the tank while the other one is designed to collect the trash if the HPFP self-destructs. These are very different purposes. You can stick in as any filters as you can find a reason for (or find space for in our cars).

(*have installed :eek:)
Brian could probably do it in 20 minutes, if he tried.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that they would go in different places. The "Contain Flow" is in the return line from the engine, but the Nictane (for an ALH) is a replacement for the factory filter. There are a few TDIClub members that have toyed with both. The installed the "Contain Flow" and "Pure Flow" kits from 2micron and they also replaced the factory filter with a finer filter (1 or 2 micron). I really do not know how necessary this might be.

One filter filters all fuel from the tank while the other one is designed to collect the trash if the HPFP self-destructs. These are very different purposes. You can stick in as any filters as you can find a reason for (or find space for in our cars).

Brian could probably do it in 20 minutes, if he tried.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don
Exactly the info I've been trying to figure out. If I've got both of Andrews kits, will there be a need to also replace the stock fuel filter w a nicktane set up similar to my alh set up. I know it wont hurt, but is there any real benefit? I was trying to look at fuel flow diagrams but still am not sure.

discoboy1

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
if you already have some metal flakes in the fuel filter, is there any benefits in this kit or its too late?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The kits should stop any more flakes from getting into the rail and injectors. At least that's my understanding. I'm about to pass 60k in my JSW, so I'm thinking more and more about picking these up to help me get through the next 100k or so.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI