09 TDI Manual Transmission swap

isa540

TDI
09 TDI Jetta with manual transmission
Since we know 2010 TDI has taller gear ratio's than that of 09 TDI with MT, I am thinking of swapping my manual transmission with 2010 Jetta TDI manual transmission in year or so.
I probably am sure no one has attempted on doing this type of swap yet, but could anyone let me know for certainty whether 2010 TDI Jetta transmission would fit bolt on to 09 Jetta TDI? Also would PCM need to be updated due to changed gear ratios?
Thanks in advance

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I would bet that the only differences are internal, but I have no way to verify this.

How many miles will it take to recoup the cost of this? You'll probably be able to sell the '09 gearbox, but getting a '10 transmission won't be cheap.

ibimmer346

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I could almost understand doing this if you were out of warranty. But you should be under warranty, and this would certainly void it. Why in the world do you want to void your warranty over maybe a 5% mileage difference?

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Why on earth would you want to do that? To get one or two extra MPGs? What, do you drive like 100K a year? If not, good lord, don't do it.

I mean, just in the time and tools, plus fluids, cleaners, and such, you're going to spend every dime you think you might save AND you break into an untouched area, which always carries some risk.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Goodluck with the project. From my prior look at the 02Q series transmissions, they should be a direct swap. The speedo input is taken from an ABS input. There is no VSS as on the 02M series. It is my understanding that no ECU chnges will be needed. BTW, good idea despite the naysayers above.
Bob

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Why not just burn the $100 bills for heat in the winter, probably save you about the same money.