Which RSB Upgrade Would You Choose?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Looking for an upgrade RSB for my '15 Passat TDI. Which would you choose...034 Motorsports 25.4mm solid or H&R 24mm solid? Also considering H&R OEM Sport Springs/Special Actives down the road. Thanks!

Edit: Possibly a 26 or 28mm FSB in the future...depending on how it balances out...…?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I was sold on H&R when i had 130K squeak free miles on my MK5.

Those teflon bushings are gold, who wants to grease their ride?

We have our 24mm bar on soft and provides a good balance, I may go up to stiff, but I also don't want to be changing out end links.

BTW buy the MK5 rear bar it will fit and be way cheaper than the NMS specific part number, they are the same bars for the rear.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I was sold on H&R when i had 130K squeak free miles on my MK5.

Those teflon bushings are gold, who wants to grease their ride?

We have our 24mm bar on soft and provides a good balance, I may go up to stiff, but I also don't want to be changing out end links.

BTW buy the MK5 rear bar it will fit and be way cheaper than the NMS specific part number, they are the same bars for the rear.
All great points, I'm only aware of one person with a squeaky H&R, not sure if it's the newer version of urethane/Teflon bushing or not though so...?

That's right, I forgot about the MK5 bars fitting....:cool:

joemoto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6-spd Buyback 14Dec20016. 2014 Golf TDI: DSG NAV Sunroof buyback 01March18, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I am soon to be in the market for RSB and was considering the H&R 24mm and this MK 5 statement is new to me.

Is it the MK 5 Jetta version that will work?

Is there any ground clearance compromise?
Exact same form factor with a different part number for the 2015 Passat and a higher price?

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have a H&R 24mm which I bought from another member who had it on a MK5 vhicle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no ground clearance compromise as it's an IRS and your replacing like for like, just thicker, its not the torsion bar of the GSW or older systems of the Mk4 days.

I'm not sure why H&R gave price difference for the NMS RSB, one thing to keep in mind is the B7/B8 and NMS aren't the same platform, so you gotta double check the PN they use.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure why H&R gave price difference for the NMS RSB, one thing to keep in mind is the B7/B8 and NMS aren't the same platform, so you gotta double check the PN they use.
ECSTuning…...same part# and same price between '06 Jetta (MK5) and '15 Passat.

Odd thing is, ECS lists two 24mm bars for the Passat with a $15-$20 price difference between the two offerings. By product description on the website I can't tell what the difference is actually...time to head to H&R site and see what they list.

EDIT #1: H&R's site only lists the one bar for the '15 Passat:
Rear 24mm Ø Yes part# 71763-24
Which is the same as one of the bars on ECS's site. The other # on ECS's site is the same for the '06 Jetta and '15 Passat (#71750-24)

EDIT #2: Best pricing I can see is here: https://www.awe-tuning.com/h-r-sway-bars-24mm-adjustable-rear-7602 , plus the $15 S&H to my zip

Last edited:

joemoto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6-spd Buyback 14Dec20016. 2014 Golf TDI: DSG NAV Sunroof buyback 01March18, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I ended up getting the H&R 24mm RSB from ebay; it should be delivered in a couple of days.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

joemoto

TDI
I paid 285.95 no tax and free delivery with a proven seller.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
The IRS on the Passat looks oh so familiar to my 06 jetta as I lay on back and take a look at things. Its no wonder parts interchange....wonder about brakes as well. I am aware of some BBK utilizing other components from other VAG models....rotors, stands, and if desired, even multi piston calipers. It's great that VAG is so large and uses the modular approach to building its cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check IDparts for cross shopping rotors.

I believe there were a few different sizes of rotors for the MK5 platform that changed in what 2009 2010?. It may be the same sudframe/which uses the same rear swaybar, but that may be where the similarities end.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, Last night ordered up the 24mm H&R, should del the 1st week of July. I hope I am happy with the transition....1st step for now.

So I had ordered from Autoanything, decent base price, free shipping, and no sales tax collected ….yet :) ECS was too quick to start adding in sales tax, the law just passed or is in process and the ink isn't even dry yet. So I figured I would just shop local if sales tax was going to be collected, took one last look at other venders and came across Autoanything….

I am not trying to skirt the sales tax, but I am working within a budget, and I don't NEED a RSB so I justify it to myself that way :)

IDparts is a local online source for me (also not too far of a drive) I really hope they expand their product coverage (hint hint)…. ;)

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
EDIT #2: Best pricing I can see is here: https://www.awe-tuning.com/h-r-sway-bars-24mm-adjustable-rear-7602 , plus the $15 S&H to my zip
I can't recommend this business. I had tried multiple times to order online, the process came to a halt with the "must check box to agree to Terms/Conditions"....box checked or unchecked you get the same error message. Emailed twice 1 week apart without any reply, so I wondered what customer service might be like in the event of an issue? I'd pass.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, Last night ordered up the 24mm H&R, should del the 1st week of July. I hope I am happy with the transition....1st step for now.

So I had ordered from Autoanything, decent base price, free shipping, and no sales tax collected ….yet :) ECS was too quick to start adding in sales tax, the law just passed or is in process and the ink isn't even dry yet. So I figured I would just shop local if sales tax was going to be collected, took one last look at other venders and came across Autoanything….

I am not trying to skirt the sales tax, but I am working within a budget, and I don't NEED a RSB so I justify it to myself that way :)

IDparts is a local online source for me (also not too far of a drive) I really hope they expand their product coverage (hint hint)…. ;)

Sales tax, is that like income tax?

Also make sure you got some tripple square bits for the install.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Sales tax, is that like income tax?

Also make sure you got some tripple square bits for the install.
LOL.....

...and yes, I have the triple Sq. Swapped the RSB on my '06, used an OEM VW tubular bar though....23ishmm but I forget the wall thickness? It was from an Passat 4Mo

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I got the bar in Weds,,,, and in about 30 minutes new bar in (adjusted to the "tight" setting). Well, I was expecting more from the swap. Again, based on my experience with the "06 Jetta RSB swap. I will confirm that this is a more softly sprung car with a longer W.B. so the effects may be less noticeable (due to the W.B. and softer springs).
The rear for sure rotates easier but the front still wants to roll (body roll) <<< inherent is FWD cars I understand. Is it better balanced? More seat time is needed I will admit, and will update ASAP.

*** As with all suspension changes! Please take said vehicle to an empty parking lot and put it through a few paces of panic/avoidance moves to see and learn how the car will behave....in a panic situation. You HAVE to know how the car will react to differing scenarios.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Time to drop the subframe and change out the front bar!

I've tossed around the idea of finding a mild drop .5" or slightly more aggressive spring rate for the wife's car, to tighten up the "boatyness" but she'd never buy it, and it's such a great ride on the highway I know that'd be compromised.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Time to drop the subframe and change out the front bar!
That was my original plan after some coils...and still may be. I have heard and read conflicting info as a FSB would just bring back the front end "weight", ie: understeer inherent with FWD vehicles. I am no expert in that so I'll do some research.

But, before changing the FSB I would give H&R OEM Sport springs a try with some dampners, mild lowering (enough to lose the excess fender/tire gap and just a touch stiffer.....hoping it'll still ride nice...firm and sporty not so "grandma's Buick" like... :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Report back, not too many out there doing suspension upgrades on this platform.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I will certainly do that.

I know H&R has "kits" they have both a 28/24 and a 26/22 kit (FSB/RSB combo). I would guess they are trying to keep the OEM "feel" (ie: understeer for safety reasons) with those combos. I wonder if a 26/24 would be a better match....less overall body roll (F&R) and also less understeer....? Not one to try and reinvent the wheel...if my budget would allow I would for everyone's benefit), I would try it. I will research it more and also try and contact H&R tech. Although, they seem to not have any direct Tech contact at 1st glance....

*Again both F & R sway bars from H&R are adjustable by two holes...tight and loose. So that ads to my mix...28 loose/24 tight, 26 tight/24 tight, 26 loose/24 tight, or what? Notice 24 is always tight...LOL

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I were to drop the coin I'd prob just do the 26mm bar, try it on loose and then go to tight if need be.

I also see OE Sport Springs 54760-55 give a 3/4" drop, maybe I can convince the wife the springs are shot on her 20K mile car.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
If I were to drop the coin I'd prob just do the 26mm bar, try it on loose and then go to tight if need be.

I also see OE Sport Springs 54760-55 give a 3/4" drop, maybe I can convince the wife the springs are shot on her 20K mile car.
Yeah, the OE Sports are the only springs I'd consider. Minor increase in rate and a slight drop, almost not noticeable .....the slammed, poked, and stretched scene is just NOT my thing...LOL

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you say that now, pretty soon you'll be asking if you the NMS can fit 9" wide rims with 235 series tires.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
you say that now, pretty soon you'll be asking if you the NMS can fit 9" wide rims with 235 series tires.
My god No.....considering 245/40 (spacers if needed) on stock 18's....keeping tire height about OE.....