GP light flashing, brake idiot L flashing, easy fix thanks to you guys!

troyindiana

2004 Jetta TDI PD wagon, manual trans, spice red.

For two weeks, I had intermitent cruise issues, sometimes the GP light would flash and sometimes not. There were no obvious clues. Drivability was fine. Sometimes the antilock brake thingee warning light would come on, also no clues.

The OEM manual was, ummmm, unhelpful. :eek:

But of course, I was a long time lurker here at Fred's, so I did a little search. The corporate knowledge and experience quickly put me on the right track. A short session with Mr Vag-Com confirmed the "improbable" code from the BLS (brake light switch).

I backed the car up to the garage door after dark and started pumping the brake pedal. SURE ENOUGH, about one pump in 20, it would fail to trigger the brake lights.

I also ran across a reference to the peculiar installation requirements of the self-destructing switch, so I was extra careful. The thread on how to overhaul one so you can get back on the road while waiting for parts also was excellent reading.

Successfully removed, repaired and reinstalled the dumbest self-destructing brake light switch in the world. New part in the mail for replacement at my convenience.

Just for completeness, I pulled the four leads to the GPs and used a proprietary electrical "clean it up and make it stay that way" spray product. No apparent corrosion.

The next morning, my commute to work was blissfully normal. No codes, cruise worked flawlessly.

I had already invested in Vag-Com so that didn't really cost anything extra, and the new switch was less than twenty bucks, so this was a fast cheap fix.

And best of all, I didn't have to let the dealer go hack at my car.

Priceless...

You (as a group) were informative and entertaining and useful when I didn't need you. But when I really needed you, you were fabulous.

Finest regards and thanks to all who make this such a tremendous resource.

troy