Suggestions on what mods I should make to my stock 97 Passat

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
I have come to the conslusion that I am going to be with my 97 Passat for some time and it is still pretty much 99% stock. The only changes I have made are as follows:

Mud Flaps (VW option when I bought it in 97)
Keyless entry (VW option
when I bought it in 97)
Optima 34R (red top) battery couple of years ago
Michelin Pilot (Model#?) Tires (steel wheels with vw hub caps)

Here is a list of things that I am considering doing to make it look nicer and/or mod for performance:

New Headliner
Replace the stick cloth surround
Have the paint detailed
Replace both front Door handles
Buy custom floor mats
Replace seat cushion (not sure were to get this)
Chip it (Upsolute or Rocket not sure)
Tint the windows (I live in Florida now)
Would like to put some new rims on but $$$ not sure its worth it, maybe used.
New wipper blades not just refills (Not sure which ones)
Probably going to replace my ignition switch and wiper switch in the column too as I have had occasional smoke on and off for the last 3 years.

I don't want to go crazy but what other things would make it like new and fun to drive again. Oh and I am not much of a wrench turner so I can do some but not all work on my car.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
New Headliner
Yup, makes it nice
Pricey, but makes things look much nicer. Look for redline on VWVortex for a nice leather aftermarket shift boot
Have the paint detailed
Good
Yup, if you're having issues. If it's just the roll pins, there is a fix here.
Buy custom floor mats
Always nice. I like the ones from Macneil/Weathertech
Unsure where to get it. Probably VW, or find a nice used seat
Rocketchip really wakes up the B4, especially with .205 nozzles.
Absolutely!
Why not? Nothing wrong with steelies, though.
Get them from VW for about $20/side. I've tried them all, and I like the VW blades the best.
Probably going to replace my ignition switch and wiper switch in the column too as I have had occasional smoke on and off for the last 3 years.
BTDT. Go for it.

I don't want to go crazy but what other things would make it like new and fun to drive again. Oh and I am not much of a wrench turner so I can do some but not all work on my car.
Consider replacing the struts/suspension bits around the car. Really makes a difference

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Acually I forgot that I had the struts replaced but nothing fancy just third party similar rated stuff not really a mod to me.

BTDT????

How hard is it to change the nozzles?
What about the exhaust, my muffler is peeling like an onion (just one layer so far) but seems to work still?

Just another note on Maintence
I have done everything by the book so far plus had to have the fuel pump rebuild and the bearings repacked. And the vacum line on the brakes went once replaced the little pippet twice for them. Brakes as needed, oil ever 5k sythetic only, AC replaced compressor had a local shop do these though..

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
BTDT=Been there, done that.

You can replace the muffler. You can also just put a straight pipe on it. You won't notice much difference with the sound level.

Nozzle change is relatively easy with good hand tools and a bench vise. There's a how-to here from Davin.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
What about: ecodes, clear bra, short shifter? Those are easy and help you enjoy/protect your car even more.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Ecodes/foglights/euroswitch. Really changes the appearance to get rid of the yellowed plastic lights.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
rdkern said:
Ecodes/foglights/euroswitch. Really changes the appearance to get rid of the yellowed plastic lights.
I have thought of changing the headlights.. I was in an acident about 4 years ago and the front right headlight was shattered. The inssurance company would only change the one even though it does not match the other yellowed one. Didn't someone put BMW lights on? Boy are the E-Codes expensive?

Found the euroswitch at tdiparts.com.
Found the foglight kit at Eurowires.com

R2point0 said:
Ventectomy
Pull-off engine cover mod
I don't take it on long trips anymore so a Ventectomy would not make much of an impact to me.
"Pull-off engine cover mod" what would this do?

Last edited:

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Found this from Vortex:

A2B4guy said:
This weekend I checked in to jumpering out my fog light relay as Rodney had described to me. Having lost my sketch, I figured it out from the Bentley schematics. You can attain two gains: make your fog lights come on with either high or low beams, and make your low beams stay on when you turn on the high beams. Here's a pic of the spot where the fog light relay goes. It is in socket #10. You pull it out and toss it in that box of stuff you've removed but maybe should save.

If you jumper the vertical slot on the left to the slot directly to the right of it, your fogs will stay on when you switch the lights to high beam. Like this.

If you jumper the two small slots at the top and bottom right corners, your low beams will stay on when you switch to high for maximum light.
Like this.

So if you want both it looks like this.

This is an easy mod. You must realize, though, that all the current of the lights must pass thru the jumper. So you must use a decent size wire. I used a 12ga jumper for the fogs. But since I have my headlights relayed, I only needed a small wire for the lowbeam jumper. Without relays, I would have made that jumper larger also. The problem with that is those pins are small and it would be difficult to connect 12ga wire to them.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
That jumper mod is a good one, particularly with fogs, ecodes and a euroswitch!

Suspension really makes these cars into a different kind of experience if you so desire. I'm so happy with Koni Yellows and Neuspeed Sport springs on mine. MFA upgrade is nice as are many others, larger downpipe, hybrid turbo, bigger nozzles, RC tune, etc. Slippery slope and asking for recomendations will only get you into debt by asking us.

For keyless entry, just find a 98 Jetta Alarm Control Module and a couple clarion banjo key fobs, these parts and a jumper wire will give you remote locking on a B4, I have this on both of our B4V's ( both GLX B4V's, one TDI ).

Wiper blades? Bosch Icon's and a Bosch Hindsight for the rear, case closed the best option for these B4's.

For the seat pads, just go out and find another seat or seats at a junkyard, seat pads are expensive through the dealer now. You can probably find some leather GLX seats without too much fuss for cheap $$.

Last edited:

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Hintertux said:
I don't take it on long trips anymore so a Ventectomy would not make much of an impact to me.
"Pull-off engine cover mod" what would this do?
I don't really do long trips either, but that extra gallon lets me visit the fuel station less frequently.

The "Pull-off engine cover mod" is about making the B4 engine cober behave like an A5 cover, which "pops" on and off - no more messing with 10mm nuts, stuck studs, and missing caps. The only problem is, I forget where the thread is - Paramedick helped me out with it at the last ImpexFest.

Edit: Found It.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176175

Last edited:

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
If you're considering wheels, I really like the Falken Hanabis that I have on my B4 and they're light, 11 lbs. When I swap wheels I can pick them up with one hand. http://www.edgeracing.com/1997/Volkswagen/Passat/wheel/957/ $89 per wheel plus tires.

As for seat cushions, ask around and you may find people with extras. I know that's how I finally found my back seat cushion. I believe Herm may still have his parts B4 sitting around.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
The best things we have done to our B4s are (in no order of preference):

- fix all the doors and windows so they open and close every time
- Rocket chips 2s and 3s :) :) :)
- VR6 clutch
- e-codes and euro switch (this would definitely be in the absolute best column)
- real deal German Hella fogs (also on the better end of the spectrum)
- heated GLX black leather seats, but we live in the frosty North
- new suspension*
- Michelin Pilot Exaltos/Bridgestone Portenzas all around**
- Audio connections for 21st century components like iPods and XM
- thorough cleaning so that everything looks and moves like new

I'll second the recommendation to look for some new seats. The leather seats definitely have held up better than the cloth. They are much more comfortable. If you can find yourself a set of GLX seats, it is definitely worth the effort.

Good lights make the world of difference. TDIParts carries e-codes for the B4. At almost any price, they are so worth the $. I love what the combination of real German e-codes +fogs does. You can actually see!

Good luck and have fun!

* The jury is still out whether we like Koni Red or Yellow or Bilstein or Sachs. Soon, we will be testing them all--once the red installs are done.
** we have >1 B4. On the wagons, one has the Pilots, one has Bridgestones. No tire mixing for me!

Last edited:

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
ignition switch recall

Save your money. The dealer just replaced my ignition switch. There is still an open recall on '96 Passats. DieselGeek's short shifter for B4's is very nice.

Jim

Hintertux said:
I have come to the conslusion that I am going to be with my 97 Passat for some time and it is still pretty much 99% stock. The only changes I have made are as follows:

Mud Flaps (VW option when I bought it in 97)
Keyless entry (VW option
when I bought it in 97)
Optima 34R (red top) battery couple of years ago
Michelin Pilot (Model#?) Tires (steel wheels with vw hub caps)

Here is a list of things that I am considering doing to make it look nicer and/or mod for performance:

New Headliner
Have the paint detailed
Buy custom floor mats

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
On your lights, the yellow plastic covers polish right out to perfectly clear and Sylvania Ultra Bulbs are remarkably bright...just another option that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
tdijim said:
On your lights, the yellow plastic covers polish right out to perfectly clear and Sylvania Ultra Bulbs are remarkably bright...just another option that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.
This looks like the best way to go on the lights, I just can't see spending all that much for glass headlights that you have to cover so they don't get chipped.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
I have a set of Ecodes, fogs, euro-switch & wiring harness that may become available when they become available (Ecodes have been on order from Eurocullen for over 2 years now). I also have a B&M shortshifter that needs a bit of work, but could be taken off my hands for the right price.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
orlando rims look nice on my 96 b4 got them from a vw parts guy up here $350 with newish snows. but tire rack has nice looking rims cheep. I changed mine for the dented rims deny rotation. I have pics of a door handle fix in the pic section. just don't buy any chinese stuff fogs, headlights, TURBOS etc junk junk junk. chip it I put upsolute in a friends 140k no problems goes like a bat.

Last edited:

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
fastvicar said:
I have a set of Ecodes, fogs, euro-switch & wiring harness that may become available when they become available (Ecodes have been on order from Eurocullen for over 2 years now). I also have a B&M shortshifter that needs a bit of work, but could be taken off my hands for the right price.
DIBS! I call Dibs! I can even do a FTF - I occasionally travel through Amish country.

Of course, this assumes I have the money at the time:(

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
The shortshifter will need to be R & R'd before I let it go. Electrical stuff is ready, but no Ecodes. I fear that Mr. Cullen has my $275 permanently.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
fastvicar said:
The shortshifter will need to be R & R'd before I let it go. Electrical stuff is ready, but no Ecodes. I fear that Mr. Cullen has my $275 permanently.
Yeah, I've emailed him about my order for the same (ecodes + protectors) which was placed over two years ago, and haven't heard anything. I had great luck with him on my first order, so am a bit disappointed.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
fastvicar said:
I'm actually not that excited about the shifter, but I may want to try one - for various reasons I have trouble stretching to reach 3rd and 5th.

gbclassic

TDI
passat
Hi
Sorry guys I need help, I have loads of questions.

I'm new to the Passat (96 Tdi) and although I live in England don't understand the English you lot are writing. Almost every word makes sense but when you put them together I am confused by the sentences.

What does this lot (Relay 109/Optima 34R (red top)/Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst/Steering/Door Handles/Tires/Oil/Fuel Injector Pump/AC/Brakes) mean?

Why does the Passat need updating?
What do the modifications cost?
Which mods give the best price/performance ratio (what I believe you guys call Bang per Buck)
What are the chips for, Performance/Economy?

I get about 52 Miles Per (UK)Gallon, is this good, indifferent or bad?

What recalls are there (I read about seats and ignition switch)?

How do I find out the features in the OnBoardComputer?

What are Ecodes/foglights/euroswitch?

Thanks
George

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
R2point0 said:
I'm actually not that excited about the shifter, but I may want to try one - for various reasons I have trouble stretching to reach 3rd and 5th.
I had to get one, it just got way to annoying to keep bumping the passengers knee when shifting to 5th. I love it, diesel geek=:)

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
gbclassic said:
What does this lot (Relay 109/Optima 34R (red top)/Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst/Steering/Door Handles/Tires/Oil/Fuel Injector Pump/AC/Brakes) mean?
These are the things I have used this site for info on so far. I will be adding to it soon...

gbclassic said:
Why does the Passat need updating?
For your preference be it performance or astectics.

gbclassic said:
What do the modifications cost?
Modifications cost what they will depending on the change you want to make.

gbclassic said:
What are the chips for, Performance/Economy?
Increase in Horse Power, torque and Miles per gallon...

gbclassic said:
I get about 52 Miles Per (UK)Gallon, is this good, indifferent or bad?
In the United States there is a law which dictates that vehicle sold in the US must have an average of 25 MPG per company; it is called the CAFE bill. There for most cars only get 20-30 miles per (US)gallon [not sure about the dif in UK vs US gallons]. They are uping it to 35 MPG. Take a look at another of my posts of what the US media does... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=201356

:cool: Cool?

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
gbclassic: 52MPG is quite good, your road speed must be quite low!

The vocabulary here is used to describe modifications to the already good and fun TDI, or in this particular case, the B4 model(here in USA, from 1995>1996>to 1997).

Mine has 298K miles and it has a couple of MODS.
1.G60
2.lighter wheel(10.5lbs) tires and taller/lighter tires
3."mufflerectomy"
4.drilled rotors and better pads(I live in the mtns)
5.front air dam(MPG+ :))
6.SP 520's
7.dark tint
and so on...

When I drive my wagon, I always have a smile in my heart 'cause it is always there for me(NO breakdowns yet), seldom at the fuel stop :D !

gbclassic

TDI
passat
Hi Guys
thamks for the poiners but I still don't know what a lot of the upgrades you have performed are.

1.G60-- no idea
2.lighter wheel(10.5lbs) tires and taller/lighter tires-- understand
3."mufflerectomy"-- freeflow exhaust?
4.drilled rotors and better pads(I live in the mtns)-- lighter better heat distribution? I had a BMW bike that cracked between the drillings so not sure about doing that
5.front air dam(MPG+ :))-- think I understand, airflow?
6.SP 520's-- no idea
7.dark tint-- windows? to keep it cool without using AirCon?

Relay 109-- something to do with the electrics but no idea why?
Optima 34R (red top)-- no idea?
Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst- to do with fuel but what I don't know
Steering-- steers OK for a big car so why change it?
Door Handles-- mine stick out on the doors that are not used much but they seeem OK. PO had some work done inside drivers door to make CL work
Are the following just service items? Tires/Oil/Fuel Injector Pump/AC/Brakes

or are there reasons for changing them

BTW I ride a BMW R100R and also drive a fiat seichento so comparisions are hard to make.

We have 20 ounzes/ pint and 8 pints to the gallon. I think you have 16oz/pt and 8pt/gal so out gallons are 20/16=1.25 times yours (If I got the assumptions right) so 50MPG for me would be 40 for you.

I still don't know what to do about new coolant. The garage had never heard of G11 and G12, said I should not mix colours but they said BLUE comes in different grades. They all seem to be ethylene glycol though.

Thanks for taking time for a newbie who does not even understand the technical language yet.
George

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
gbclassic, the place to start is the maintenance section of TDIFAQ. When I first aquired my 96 passat 1Z, my first upgrade was replacing all the vacuum/pressure lines with silicone ones and fuel return lines with viton. Inlet manifold cleaning and intercooler cleaning followed. Timing belt ofcourse, replacing other drive belts and tensioner, other usual things, curing leaks etc. Use a good oil, such as Mobil1 5/40 fully synthetic.
Bear in mind that the US spec passat is different from the UK one in some respects. No fifth injector for heating the catalytic convertor, no coolant glowplugs, no exhaust gas recycling(EGR) cooler. The UK one does have an immobilizer which US doesn't. This applies to my model anyway.
Next on the list was injector nozzles. These don't absolutely need changing as they might go on for 2 or 300,000 miles, but it is a worthwhile upgrade all the same, for smoother more even running if not for more power. The bosio fratelli pp357's are the ones I chose, intending to chip (get a remap) later. Here is where I bought them.

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-ECU-Tuning/Categories

I have replaced the wheels with 15" alloys and lower profile wider tyres, and intend to replace the shock absorbers, probably with bilstein oem/tc.

I havent replaced the G11 coolant yet, but when I do it will be with G12plus, which is compatible with G11. G11 and G12 are not compatible. Buy it off the dealer at about £8 a litre, not expensive for a 10 year plus changing interval.

SP520 = Sprint 520, nozzles on the kerma site.

Relay 109 = a relay that tends to go and cut your engine out when they do. Some people carry one as a spare.

A UK gallon is a US gallon X 1.2, or repectively 4.546 and 3.785 litres, so your 52 mpg equals about 43 mpg US.

Apart from that I would recommend VAGCOM for reading fault codes etc from the ECU(onboardcomputer, engine control unit, or module), and possibly a good manual.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Last edited: