11th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2018 - January 20 (aka WINTERFEST)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Glad I got those snow tires. :confused: However, they've had plenty of use here in the past month.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The weather sounds perfect. I'm glad it isn't going to be freezing cold and windy like it has been in some previous years.

We're hitting the road first thing tomorrow morning. We should be at the hotel around 5:00 PM.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Something cool at the show is the original Bullitt Mustang - the one Steve McQueen drove in the 1968 movie Bullitt!

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/01/17/ford-introduces-2019-bullitt-mustang-alongside-long-hidden-1968-original/?refer=musweekly

Hey, I appreciate the old classics too! IMO the 1968 still looks better than the 2019 even though I know the new one is a better balanced vehicle overall.

Other than 40% chance of rain on Sunday weather should be decent. Safe travels to everyone and see you Friday evening!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The weather sounds perfect. I'm glad it isn't going to be freezing cold and windy like it has been in some previous years.

We're hitting the road first thing tomorrow morning. We should be at the hotel around 5:00 PM.

If you guys want to meet up for breakfast or lunch just let us know.We will at the Bob Evens in Breezwood Pa round 7am.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you guys want to meet up for breakfast or lunch just let us know. We will at the Bob Evans in Breezwood around 7am.
Thanks for the invite, but we won’t be getting to Breezewood until around 9am. Safe travels and let us know if there are any incidents along the way.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I uplayed the schedule in the first post to start tomorrow’s dinner at a more reasonable time. We’ll head that way from the hotel at 7pm, arriving at around 7:15pm.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
We arrived around 3pm.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We are almost finished with dinner. Heading back to the hotel soon for some much needed relaxation. Big day tomorrow with breakfast at The Bomber at 7:30am.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Getting ready to head to Buddy’s in about 40 minutes. Meet at the Joe Louis statue at 12:30 PM or meet us at Buddy’s at 1:00.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Oops, sorry i missed saying goodbye, thought we were meeting at statue at 12:45.

We are eating downtown anyway as son is diabetic and is running low right now after all the walking.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Lunch was great. We are heading to The Henry Ford now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We weren’t far behind you. Just passed through Cleveland. Thanks again Lawson et al for making this happen we had a great time.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Yes, thanks Lawson for lining this all up. I had a great time as well.

Enjoyed meeting some new faces,

Kirk

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I’m glad you all could make it and that you enjoyed yourselves. A bunch of us went to The Henry Ford Museum today and had a good time. Heading back home tomorrow morning.

Until next time!

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Wish I could have made it thia year in Saturday but was forced to work. I did make it up there today, glad I did!

How about that new Buick Regal TourX? I really liked that car!!!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
What a weekend! The drive over to Detroit from Boston was blessed with super-duper weather! It was very easy both directions! Put four people together in a car for 12 hours who have known each other at least 15 years because of this club, and time warps. Plenty to talk about. Then spending time with various club members (some new to me, some I’ve known a long time online, others from way back!) for a weekend full of more than just the auto show. Personally I was more impressed with the museum!
A very TDIfest vibe.
Lawson, et. Al. Really good job!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I echo BeetleGo's sentiments. Made it home with no problems.

Great time with great people.

Super good organizing Lawson Jason and their team.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Get together was great fun, thanks for organizing this, Lawson.

Was anyone else disappointed by the actual debuts? I mean, if you're into pickups, sure, but beyond that?

I feel like it says something when the car I found most interesting is a car that was debuted at the 2016 show, and is the one that I could easily fall asleep while sitting in (the Pacifica Hybrid).

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I had a great time and enjoyed meeting many folks - both new and long time friends! As I was a first timer to this event found the auto show interesting but nothing there really interested me - just made me like what I have now even more. The Ford Rouge Plant Tour was neat too - just don't know who buys all those loaded up crew cab short beds which are coming off the line every 44 seconds at final assembly.

Socializing with TDI people was the highlight for me - especially the ones I've known for years but haven't seen in a long time. Was great to catch up on things and see that we are all doing well these days!

And that Tesla Model X Lawson drove from VA to MI and back is one slick piece of machinery. I can see why some people are very hot on Tesla so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for Tesla to make inroads (dealers, charging stations) in the midwest outside of major metropolitan areas such as Chicago.

Lawson - Thanks again for letting me ride along in the X Saturday night. It takes a lot to impress me and that X certainly did!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Was great to finally be back to winterfest again!

Sorry missed some of you Sunday morning and especially carting!! Had to rush back to KY to finish working on a car.

Clint

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Does anyone else think the best part was that Tomo wasn't there? :p

Thanks to Lawson and team for another great WinterFest! The twucks at NAIAS were a new low for me, and there was very little there for which I would give up what I have. All the activities--including the car ride--were great fun! I LOVED the Henry Ford Museum.