www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 12th, 2018, 15:36   #16
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
also your engine does not have rocker arms ...but this is assuming you drive a 2010 JSW as in your sig ...if not, please clarify
All the CR 16 valve diesels have roller rocker arms. The roller is about 3/4" diameter and 5/16" wide. One end is supported by the hydraulic lash adjuster, the other bears on the valve stem. That would account for some of the debris. The rocker is pictured here,

https://www.idparts.com/rocker-arm-c...ra-p-5107.html

That doesn't account for the balls, I have no idea where they came from.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 15:48   #17
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
All the CR 16 valve diesels have roller rocker arms. The roller is about 3/4" diameter and 5/16" wide. One end is supported by the hydraulic lash adjuster, the other bears on the valve stem. That would account for some of the debris. The rocker is pictured here,

https://www.idparts.com/rocker-arm-c...ra-p-5107.html

That doesn't account for the balls, I have no idea where they came from.
ok, the picture the op sent me was of a pd rocker set... the parts in the op's pan are too large to be from one of the CR rocker arms... and thanks for the correction about cr rockers
Old January 12th, 2018, 18:45   #18
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The more I look at the roller rocker arms, the more they look like the source of the bearings(needle and ball). I'd say he has at least two damaged roller rocker arms.

Last edited by turbobrick240; January 12th, 2018 at 18:51.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 18:52   #19
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
The more I look at the rocker arms, the more they look like the source of the bearings(needle and ball). I'd say he has at least two damaged rocker arms.
the rockers use needle bearings probably around 1mm in diameter, the op pictured straight roller bearings much larger than rockers would use... the rockers don't use ball bearings either
Old January 12th, 2018, 19:09   #20
jimbote

my suggestion is to pull the pan and have a look, the screen needs to be inspected for debris and you can check the idler for slop... for what's it worth my buddy Tom bought an 09' in 2016 with a trashed bsm idler...pan was full of debris although i can't recall what the broken parts looked like aside from the gear having ZERO rollers left, we pulled bsm delete parts from a brm at lkq pyp ... he installed the parts and drove it for about a year before returning the car to VW ...it ran perfect the entire time...i would say you could pull the entire engine down and not find one flake of metal downstream of the oil filter... that's why i think suggestions of the engine needing a teardown are pretty ridiculous...
Old January 12th, 2018, 19:19   #21
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

If it was a rocker bearing wouldn't there be a noticeable dead cylinder?
excessive smoke or unburned fuel smell.
One would be able to notice something was wrong instantly.

Last edited by 1.9ZOOK; January 12th, 2018 at 19:36.
1.9ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 19:31   #22
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
the rockers use needle bearings probably around 1mm in diameter, the op pictured straight roller bearings much larger than rockers would use... the rockers don't use ball bearings either
Yeah, I guess I was seeing an optical illusion. It would be nice to have some details on how the car was running, what motor code is on the timing belt cover, and what the known repair history of the car is. The buyback would be looking a little sweeter if that's an option.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 05:45   #23
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

bsm? balance shaft _____? Just trying to learn something new. Hope the OP does not have major repairs.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:08   #24
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB05 View Post
bsm? balance shaft _____? Just trying to learn something new. Hope the OP does not have major repairs.
yes, balance shaft module ... on my buddies 09' it never lost oil pressure but the thing sounded like a can of rocks rattling around and it acted like it wanted to lock up periodically as the super loose idler gear bound up
*tdi's are an alphabet soup of acronyms

Last edited by jimbote; January 13th, 2018 at 06:18.
jimbote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:10   #25
jimbote

to the OP: please update this thread when you've sorted the issue, and i would stop driving it immediately until it's repaired