2012 Golf TDI - High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure HELP- Canada

Katlyn

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Hi all,

I am the 3rd owner of a 2012 golf with 140,000k. The HPFP has just failed and the car is no longer on warranty. Reading online I am seeing most people quote between 7000-10,000$ for repair cost. Some people have said that they have managed "with help of the media" to get VW and the dealer to help pay for some or all of the cost to fix it. I am located in Canada , British Columbia. Seems that this has been a common issue to many cars in the states but not in Canada. Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Katlyn

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Are you planning on keeping the car? If so I suggest looking into a CP3 fuel pump upgrade.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
First ask your mechanic if he can verify that the fuel in the tank was indeed pure diesel. If there is any kind of suspicion that the tank was misfueled and that you are 100% sure you or someone else didn't misfuel it with gas the last time you have fueled it up, I would go after the last fuel station where you have bought the diesel. Also, contact ICBC and discuss what kind of plan of action they recommend in terms of insurance coverage.

The other option would be to decide if you are going to keep the car or sell it back to VW. To qualify for buy back, all you have to do is make sure the car can drive it up to the dealer's lot, and at least be able to start the engine in case the buy back agent would like to check the car up. Talk to your mechanic and discuss the option.

Finally, if you like to keep the car and explore option to fix it properly, I'd always contact the VW dealer directly and ask them if they can escalate the case to VW Canada. Some folks in BC who had this problem resolved did utilize the media (eg. CTV news) and did end up getting partial supports from VW Canada. If you can successfully get this issue resolved with a proper dealer fix, make sure you get the car emission fixed so that your car would qualify for the extended emission/engine warranty.

The CP3 pump upgrade suggested by travis45 is a good option, but may not be the best option for those who decide to send their car for the emission fix, because modifying the fuel pump would most certainly void or partially void your emission warranty.