Engine only runs for 2 secs. Error Code 17978

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
Hello
I'm trying to find the fault with a friends Audi A3 1.8T.
I know it's a petrol but people on here are so knowledgable when I have problems with my TDI and, as it appears to be an immobilizer fault, it's probably the same for both fuel types.
If you're still with me the basic problem is the engine starts and runs for about 2 seconds before it stops.
I've taken a few screen shots from Vag Com:-

So I searched for code 17978 and read a lot of posts.
The immobilizer light on the dash comes on for a few seconds and the goes out just as it should.
I've checked the connections to the coil around the ignition barrel and if I disconnect the coil the immobilizer light then flashes. This makes me think the key is being read ok?
There are no fault codes shown in the instrumments.
I have tried to resync by reading adaption channel 00 and re-saving it.
I have tried a cold boot by disconnecting the battery terminals and holding them together for 30 seconds.
He has two keys and the fault is the same with both.

I've included these measuring blocks as they helped in another post I read.
I think one of these blocks shows if the key is matched or not but I don't know which one?
Has anyone got suggestion as to what I should try next?
Thanks in advance
Adrian

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
Thanks for the replies.

Can you tell me how you know the key needs recoding?

Just trying to make sense of it for my own sake. Looking at the explanation of the measuring blocks on the Ross Tech Wiki but they've left me confused.
They are for immo3 and I think this car is immo2 but are they still relevant?

The figures in red are the values I measured with Vag Com

023:1, 023:3 and 022:3 seem to indicate a good key and that the key is recognised but 023:2 seems to indicate the key isn't matched.

022:2 seems to point to the problem being with the connections between the immo and ECU.

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
I've had an automotive lock smith come out to the car and reprogram the keys.

This has made no difference, the car still starts and runs for 2 seconds.

I looked at the measuring blocks again and they are the same as before (posted above) accept there is now only 2 adapted keys as he only reprogrammed 2.

I now have the SKC though, so I used it for the Emergency start procedure. I input the SKC into the mileometer display and the immobilizer light came on and stayed on as it should but the car still starts and runs for 2 seconds only.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Hi, it looks like you have a problem with the W wire. According to your measuring blocks, the keys were authorized, but the IMMO controller could not communicate with the ECM to authorize the start.

It would be handy to know the model year (1999?).

There should be a code in the instrument fault memory (01177 ECM not authorized) if the W wire is broken.

First, adapt the ECM: Log in to instruments with the SKC (on original key tag), adaptation, channel 00, read, save.

Check W-wire: Green connector on instrument panel, pin 5 -> orange 10 pin connector in plenum chamber -> pin 19 of ECM (1999 AGN) Gray/White.

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
Thanks for the reply.

I had high hopes as I checked that W-wire as it sounded a likely cause but it checked out OK.

I tried another engine ECU from a breakers today but, again, it made no difference, the fault is the same.

Now I'm thinking the fault must lie in the instrument cluster as this is the only component left ?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Go to the cluster. Clear fault codes (even though you don't see any).
Read adaptation channel 00. Save.

Go to ECM. Clear fault codes.
Read adaptation channel 00. Save.

Get out of VCDS.

Turn off car for 1 minute.

Try again.

Report results.

What version of VAG-COM are you using? The lack of a label file, and the name VAG-COM on the windows, suggests that it is old.

thecbdb

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
This is what got my '04 Golf's immobilizer issue resolved (the key light was on and glowplug light was flashing):

1. Turn the key to ON but don't start it

2. Leave it there for 15min.

3. Try to start the car. I swear this worked, and someone here suggested it. (I kinda want to say it was MOGolf, but don't quote me on that)

The car has not had an immobilizer problem since.

Good Luck,
Charlie

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
Thanks for the replies

MOGolf: I followed your instructions but it has made no difference.

Not sure what version of Vag Com I have but it is a few years old.
I'll look up what version it is. Could this make a difference?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
awmw said:
Not sure what version of Vag Com I have but it is a few years old.
I'll look up what version it is. Could this make a difference?
It could be a HUGE difference. There could be bugs in the old version of the software you have, causing it to not reset the immobilizer.

Tony

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Load up the latest VAG-COM version and re-read fault memory in 17 and 01, and re-read the values in 17 MB group 022.

Window 2 in group 22 should be 1 in order to complete IMMO matching and authorize starting.

I haven't messed around with enough immobilizers to know why ECM communication would go bad, particularly on a w-wire system. Cabling does cause most problems so make sure that wire isn't leaking current anywhere (check not only end to end but one end to ground and the positive battery terminal with the batt. disconnected).