Winter wheels on!

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Sorry for the crappy pic... my phone camera lens cover broke and it developed all these artifacts now.

We got 12" of snow yesterday.

Firestone Winterforce tires.
Older Audi A6 16" wheels.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
Nooo.... winter mode noooooooooo! Just did mine now as well!

Wheels: Audi B5 A4 10 Spoke 16x7
Tires: General Arctic Altimax 205/55/16
Spacers: 15mm Front, 25mm Rear
Suspension: Factory 18" Sport Package Suspension Calibration (S-Line)

No snow has hit us in the Hudson Valley of NY, but our temps are dropping. In the low 20s every night now. If we get a couple of inches here an there, I'd be surprised. We are forecast for our major snow to start hitting us in late December and early January through March. Best of luck to you out there Pete.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Those General winter wheels are the bomb!! I ran them for years on a RWD GS400, never got stuck, even when we got 18" overnight about 5 years ago. Car is looking good!!

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Pete! So is your car! And excellent to hear about the tires. They are a good bang for the buck!

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Did you guys transfer over your tpms sensors or are you living with the light(s) during winter? I put on some rs4 reps the other day and completely forgot about the sensors :banghead:

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm... my car doesn't have a TPS sensor in any of the wheels. TPS is monitored by the ABS system by counting revolutions of each wheel. So no worry about that stuff for us.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Correct.. no TPS needed. I didn't realize that, so I did install them in my summer 18" wheels :(

My winter 16" wheels have no sensors.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I have 4 sensors in case you need them and want to buy a set.
Did some searching and appears I can change the coding in the ecm to the newer style of monitoring tire pressure through abs!

I'll take you up on that if I can't get it to work though thanks!

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
I've had these on since December, finally took a picture.

-Volkswagen Speedline SL1244 Rims 5x112 16x7 ET45
-Continental ExtremeWinterContact 205/55R16

Here they are on the car:

The only thing is that they are VW specific center caps (one piece), and it is molded in. So I bought a small piece of silver vinyl and wrapped the center caps. I think it looks better that way.

Original center caps:

After:

Last edited:

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
How are you guys doing with fuel economy? I'm about at rock bottom for my economy... good think fuel is cheap right now. My fuel warning light comes on at about 480 miles on the tank. :(

How about you guys?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I noticed a HUGE difference based on where I buy my diesel.. At a Mobil station a few times I averaged only right around 40mpg.. but if I get it at a Meijers then I'm right back up at 45mpg... Dependent on my driving I'm still getting 550-6xx per tank.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah ok, I'm not terribly far off. I wonder if I need a fuel filter and if that has anything to do with it?

The quality of fuel in NY is fairly poor and expensive. I think it is just the fuel and the time of year. I also notice a difference between where I get my fuel, Sunoco is usually good for me, but not this last tank. :(

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I do a fuel filter change every 20K miles.
Oh boy really? For pump health? Piece of mind? Or does it affect performance and/or economy that much?

I bought my car at 27k, its about to hit 47k and I do not know if a fuel filter has been done before I purchased it... let alone KNOWING I haven't done one.

Hmm...

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Yup.. for all those reasons... Its a $10 filter and 30 minute job. I do oil changes every 10K miles with Fuchs Synthetic.. so every other oil change I swap out the fuel filter.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I do my fuel filter on all my diesels with every oil change. Fuel filters are far cheaper than injectors