New Tune, and great mileage

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Just had the Rawtek exhaust & Malone stage 2 tune installed. I'm super pleased with the fuel mileage and of course the fun factor of driving. Its amazing once 50lbs of junk falls of the car how much better the car will run. My EGT temps are nice and low and most importantly no more soot going into the engine

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

SS930

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 A3 TDI
I recently picked up a 2015 A3 TDI. I was wondering what if any real world difference in MPG you guys have seen after doing the DPF delete on these cars. I've only put 1300 miles on the car and have averaged 45.6 MPG (per Fuelly) for this distance. This is nearly identical what I'm averaging for my 2009 Jetta TDI. I'm fairly happy with this, but if there's a significant gain to be had by deleting the DPF, I'm all ears, but it has to pay for itself in real MPG for me to drop a years worth of fuel cost in these mods.

I did click on Diverb's Fuelly link, but noticed there wasn't too much of an increase in MPG since this tread was created. There is the seasonal bump in MPG on his chart, but most diesels get an increase in MPG when the weather warms back up. I didn't notice much (if any) spike when his DPF system was removed. Anyone have any real world feedback?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I recently picked up a 2015 A3 TDI. I was wondering what if any real world difference in MPG you guys have seen after doing the DPF delete on these cars. I've only put 1300 miles on the car and have averaged 45.6 MPG (per Fuelly) for this distance. This is nearly identical what I'm averaging for my 2009 Jetta TDI. I'm fairly happy with this, but if there's a significant gain to be had by deleting the DPF, I'm all ears, but it has to pay for itself in real MPG for me to drop a years worth of fuel cost in these mods.

I did click on Diverb's Fuelly link, but noticed there wasn't too much of an increase in MPG since this tread was created. There is the seasonal bump in MPG on his chart, but most diesels get an increase in MPG when the weather warms back up. I didn't notice much (if any) spike when his DPF system was removed. Anyone have any real world feedback?
I'm pretty sure you need the tune along with the DPF delete to enjoy the benefits.. otherwise you might be just driving around with a SEL on.

SS930

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure you need the tune along with the DPF delete to enjoy the benefits.. otherwise you might be just driving around with a SEL on.
Completely understood. That's the combo I'm interested in hearing real world results from.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
It will take a while to recoup the "saved fuel" costs with the DPF delete.

Using my 2010 A3 TDI as an example,

prior to delete, ~40mpg combined fuel efficiency (80hwy/20city), I have a lead foot on the highway and a bit pokey in town. 100k miles on the car prior to delete. At the time, diesel averaged $3.80/gal, so according to my math comes out to $0.095/mile.

after delete, 43mpg combined fuel efficiency, same 80/20 split. So far I have 150k miles on the car after the delete, and fuel costs have also dropped dramatically, to an average of $2.90/gal over that time frame. $0.067/mile.

Assuming I had not done the delete and continued with the prior efficiency while taking into account the drop in fuel pricing, I have thus far "saved" $759.

Cost of the DPF delete at the time was $800 for the down and mid pipes, $1k for the stage 2 and DSG tunes, labor was free. So I still have abit over $1k, or 200,000 miles to go until the DPF delete costs are recouped. In my case, driving the car 450k miles, four timing belt changes, countless sets of tires, brake pads, struts, etc..

of course that time frame is shortened up if fuel prices spike.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Good job of breaking that down!!

Another reason I went with the mods is because I never have to worry about my DPF going out which it seems like after 100K miles its pretty much a ticking time bomb. Thats almost a $1000 bill when the flapper valve goes out and clogs up the DPF.

SS930

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you Red for the detailed first hand response.

There are quite a few mods I'd like to do to my A3 (DPF, tune, coil-overs, tint, etc), but I guess I should just sideline them for now until it becomes more clear as to which direction I decide to go with it when the suit is settled.