Drained out my intercooler today

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Did what people told me to do, and developed a system so that I can drain it out as much as possible, aka finding the right place to drill in the plastic shell. I took an empty soup can, and used that to collect it. When I finally tilted the car enough and was satisfied with as much as I could do, about... 1/2 oz came out? Just guesstimating from the size of the soup can and how much actually poured out. This was the first time this was done to the car, 194k.

I swear I'm not rambling, I wanted to ask, is that a large amount? Medium amount? Just so you can picture it, it was a fat soup can, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Progresso-Traditional-Chicken-Noodle-Ounce/dp/B017XKQUXU

And the bottom was completely covered, and was around 1/4" deep. So 1/2 oz of oil is what I'm estimating.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
I don't think that's too uncommon. I did the same with my 2.7T A6 and got about the same at around 180k.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No significant amount of oil should collect in the intercooler. Maybe a tablespoon or two, but that's it. If you've got more then either the trubo isn't boosting correctly, the intercooler/intake system is restricted, or you're driving too gently.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Did what people told me to do, and developed a system so that I can drain it out as much as possible, aka finding the right place to drill in the plastic shell. I took an empty soup can, and used that to collect it. When I finally tilted the car enough and was satisfied with as much as I could do, about... 1/2 oz came out? Just guesstimating from the size of the soup can and how much actually poured out. This was the first time this was done to the car, 194k.
I swear I'm not rambling, I wanted to ask, is that a large amount? Medium amount? Just so you can picture it, it was a fat soup can, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Progresso-Traditional-Chicken-Noodle-Ounce/dp/B017XKQUXU
And the bottom was completely covered, and was around 1/4" deep. So 1/2 oz of oil is what I'm estimating.
I just did the same "mod" the other week.

1 oz = 2 tablespoons

Having never emptied it out, it should be cleaned out every TB job, so I'm assuming that's been done before.

1/2 oz is nothing to worry about, that's about how much came out of mine, maybe a bit under that. I probably had 3/4 tbsp.

That can you pictured is 19oz...so each inch is say 4.75 oz. If it was 0.25" full, then you're looking around 1.1875 oz, or 2-3/8 tbsp. I would think you're ok.

Just let 'er eat once in a while getting off an on-ramp onto the freeway.

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I just did the same "mod" the other week.
1 oz = 2 tablespoons
Having never emptied it out, it should be cleaned out every TB job, so I'm assuming that's been done before.
1/2 oz is nothing to worry about, that's about how much came out of mine, maybe a bit under that. I probably had 3/4 tbsp.
That can you pictured is 19oz...so each inch is say 4.75 oz. If it was 0.25" full, then you're looking around 1.1875 oz, or 2-3/8 tbsp. I would think you're ok.
Just let 'er eat once in a while getting off an on-ramp onto the freeway.
When you put it like that, I think I way overestimated how deep the oil was at the bottom of the can. When you put it in tablespoons conversions, I really don't think there was more than 2 tbsp. Probably between 1-2 tbsp was in there.

Yeah I'll be checking this every 2 oil changes or so. The fact that this was the first time doing it at 194k and there was only that much in there is a good sign. I was ultimately doing this so I could clean out the junk that's collected where the EGR is, look at my post history if that interests you what mine looks like. Gotta do this draining before you go and clean your EGR and let more airflow into the engine.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If one thinks it needs draining then every 80 to 100 thousand isn't near often enough.

If it only needs draining every 80 to 100k it doesn't need draining at all.

Or even every 10 to 20k. Same logic applies.

Another solution looking for a problem. Getting on it once in a while as was suggested will keep the oil from accumulating.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If one thinks it needs draining then every 80 to 100 thousand isn't near often enough.

If it only needs draining every 80 to 100k it doesn't need draining at all.

Or even every 10 to 20k. Same logic applies.

Another solution looking for a problem. Getting on it once in a while as was suggested will keep the oil from accumulating.
I def agree with this statement, but I stand by my decision to add the drain port. It will not create any problems whatsoever.

I treat it like the gauges on my Cummins. Do I look at them all the time? No. Do I check them once in a while, heck yes they are a a diagnosis tool for issues that may/can be happening.

Let's be realistic, most people only pull that boot during TB changes, or if it's too late (turbo toast). Every TB change may be enough, but it's that period of time where one doesn't take the short amount of time to check and you injest a slug of oil and it's off to the races.

For me it's potentially catching an issue before it has the chance to do serious damage. A diagnosis tool. No one told me to do it, but realistically a new turbo is cheaper than a rebuild or new engine. Takes 30 sec to remove the sealing screw and washer, can do it anywhere, any place.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've never drained intercoolers on any kind of a schedule. And when the pipe does come off to gain access for some other repair, I've not found oil in any of my ALHs (four, including my sons'). I maintain that if the intercooler is accumulating oil it's because something in the engine isn't 100%.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Mine also. The only time I drained the IC was when I had to change the leaking lower hose. I used a paper towel to absorb any oil which was minimal.