Boost/Vacuum port placement

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I have in mind and have all the stuff to have gauges for vacuum & boost. But where to tap into?

1. I would assume I should just stick a tee near the vacuum pump for that, yes?
  2. But where should I tap into the intake manifold? Before or after the intercooler? I plan on drilling a hole and have a 1/4" pipe thread die, unless someone has a better idea.
Of course, my scan gauge II shows boost pressure, but I have the gauge and mounting cluster and I'd like a dedicated gauge so....

There are times when there seems to be a slight hesitation winding out and I'm hoping that gauge might make what's happening clearer. Of course, it could just be the VNT catching. If I recall, there are all kinds of snake oil things to do about that...is there a best practice for diagnosing and fixing that? It would be nice if my '03 with 265K miles would run forever...or at least be my last car (I'm 72).

Ah for the wine and roses of my youth, when my father bought a couple of Bugattis and a Maserati...I looked like this then...and had the Anglia you can see in the background ...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I have in mind and have all the stuff to have gauges for vacuum & boost. But where to tap into?
For boost I tapped in the manifold cylinder 1 area but the gauge buzzed at low boost until a bit of carbon coated the tip of the fitting.
It still worked OK after that.
Near cylinder 4 area might not have had the problem but I wasn't that concerned.

Some have posted about tapping into the plastic boost tube.
I thought about it and gluing a screw in fitting but opted not to.
No good reason.

Never thought about a vacuum gauge because our motor only produces vacuum when it shuts off. :)

It could be used to diagnose the vacuum system while driving.
Tee or connect to to any point you want to test and the gauge is solid in the car where you can see it easy.

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
But the ALH engine has a vacuum pump

...to run the brake booster and the turbo actuator!
"Never thought about a vacuum gauge because our motor only produces vacuum when it shuts off."

But thx for the reply...am putting the tap in the end of plastic pressure intake just before the rubber elbow to the EGR

Regards...

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Monitoring the vacuum is like monitoring voltage.
It's there but not very critical to know from moment to moment.
You could say the same for boost but at least that is related to performance level. ;)