Running much smoother, but pretty smokey

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
https://youtu.be/9wIoLXdCFNI

So, if you've been following my repair, this is by far the smoothest this engine has run. I just don't know why it's so smokey... I had put maybe 1/4 cup of Techron Diesel into half a tank of fuel. I /am/ getting little bubbles in the fuel in line, not sure if that may have something to do with it. The engine also starts to shake at higher rpm (1.5k~2.2k)

Would love some ideas

(Sorry for no photos today, for some reason I'm getting "upload failed" when trying to post the photos today, not sure what's different)

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If there's no CEL, and it won't rev, then it could be that the intake manifold is clogged. There is a hose that connects the hard pipe that comes from the intercooler and goes to the EGR valve. Get a light and take a look into the intake manifold past the ASR valve. If there's clogging, looking like a mass accumulation of black stuff, then you need to clean the intake manifold and EGR valve.

Another cause of lack of revving is loss of boost. Usually that one throws an error code, however.

There are other causes, but the intake clogging is one of the easiest and quickest to check out.

Cheers,

PH

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Hmmm.... looked at one of your videos and it appears you have already played with the EGR, so I am sure you already checked the intake manifold for deposits.

So, never mind my post above.

Cheers,

PH