Strange behaviour after cold start

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
This problem has only happen after a cold start and within the first few minutes. When I first observed it a couple of months ago, I didn't pay attention to all the details as it caught me off guard. It was a cold start and at low speed and after a shift (don't remember into which gear) the engine felt like it was at near stall briefly and there was almost no power. I was never able to repeat it again.

Fast forward to recent weeks and my wife described similar problems. She had another detail though - it was after a shift into 3rd. She described it as feeling like she mis-shifted into 5th.

Will be booking a warranty service but curious what this might be.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Good morning Weebl. This is early to tell, but might be fuel, it might be related with the VW Passat warm up strategy (VW warms up the exhaust/emission system in cold starts, and it might be too aggressive in the older models. The warm up cycle starts when you engage 3rd gear. It look like VW might have changed it in the 2014 models to make it less aggressive). I have felt also some jerkiness during warmup, now and then. Keep us posted. Question: how long is the feeling? Momentary, or long (10+ seconds)

PD Just a recommendation: it is a new car, but in cold starts, warm it up before go.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Happened to me this morning with the DSG... engine basically stopped injecting fuel for about a half second, resulting in a noticeable buck. It has happened before on rare occasions, mostly when there has been a big temperature change between the night before and the next morning. I believe it also coincides with the emissions warm-up routine, but I can't verify that for sure.

Either way, it's no big deal to me... just a little hiccup caused by some transient condition on super rare occasion.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
I've had cold mornings since buying my car a month ago and it does that every time during warm up. I talked to my Dealer at my 30 day check and they didn't seem concerned.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
It is a momentary loss of power, maybe a couple of seconds at most. I think the fuel is low probability of being the culprit. I last filled the car with diesel from the same batch and same station as my fill up of the diesel rental I had, just before doing a long trip with it. The fuel caused no issues in that vehicle.

I think I suspect the warm up routine as well. Hoping some sort of a fix exists.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sorry to read that this start-up hesitation still exists in the 2014s. My conclusion now is that the start-up emissions strategy has NOT been modified, for all sorts of reasons, primarily EPA certification, IMHO.

Seppoboy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT, traded due to seat discomfort, hello BMW 328xd
Yes, the same thing occurs with mine following a cold start, but it resolves itself within three miles of driving. Knowing the cause, it's easy to accept and live with.

Thanks to those folks in these forums who provide such useful feedback and knowledge, that's why tdiclub is such an invaluable resource for VW owners and prospects!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Yes, the same thing occurs with mine following a cold start, but it resolves itself within three miles of driving. Knowing the cause, it's easy to accept and live with.
Easy to live with, even though it may be a contributing factor to turbo failure?