New to Forum/VW, five questions.

kutch98

TDI
'14 Passat
So hello! I just bought my first ever VW about 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I traded in a 2010 F150 FX4 for it, which sucked, but I love this new car and its avg tank of 41 mpg right now. I have a 60 mile round trip drive to work everday, so the 16mpg of the truck I was basically paying to go to work every day.

So here is my new car:

Question 1) What are the best/easiest HID/LED combos to get for the cars? Ive seen a few tossed around but i didnt know what was best with ease of installation + quality of light. Seems like some guys have had to do some re wiring and splicing to get them working properly.

Question 2) Was looking at something like this for Fogs:

Prob not a wise choice, but what would be?

Question 3) Thinking of Plasti dipping the Chrome parts. Was thinking about Gunmetal Grey to match the car a bit more. Has anybody used it on this color silver and how close does it match? Maybe another color to blend it in more? I have a can of black already that Im thinking about for parts of the grill.

Question 4) I put some 12$ LED lights in the trunk, want to get the ones in the footwells installed here soon. Does anybody know which color wire Im looking for when the door opens to hook into? Im not worried about dimmer switches and all that.

And Question 5) This is the one that pisses me off. While washing the car yesterday I noticed a scratch in the roof. While its hard to see depending on the angle you are at, I know its there. And I know that with time, scratches and dings will come. But within 2 weeks and in that spot?? Its behind the antenna on the roof, so no clue how that even happens. I dont know if it was there before I traded it in or not either. Was thinking about going to the dealer and seeing what they could do. What are thoughts on scratch removal kits? How well do those work? Here is the scratch:

Sorry for the long novel, just didnt want to start up a bunch of different threads and flood the forums with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to seeing what everybody is doing with their cars!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can hook the footwell leds right up to the body control module so they run dimly when the headlights are on and come on bright when you open the door. Look up my BCM thread to find the pinout.

-J

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
So hello! I just bought my first ever VW about 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I traded in a 2010 F150 FX4 for it, which sucked, but I love this new car and its avg tank of 41 mpg right now. I have a 60 mile round trip drive to work everday, so the 16mpg of the truck I was basically paying to go to work every day.
Same boat. Congrats on the new VW!

Sign up at Fuelly. You will find that wringing out the mileage will become a game, especially when you come from gas hogs like we had. It gets to be ridiculous the numbers these things achieve. :eek:

Not much help on the questions but I'll chime in…

1) Defer
2) Hadn't even thought of something like that myself. If you could live without the factory look why not I suppose. There are better alternatives, though they do require a bit more of an install. There are threads on the subject.
3) I hate chrome so I'd say go for it. Can't help you with any of the color matching stuff.
4) Answered
5) Looks like a ham fist. Probably from a watch or other piece of metal that the porter was wearing while he was cleaning the car. That's my guess anyway.

kutch98

TDI
'14 Passat
Im 6'2"...so yeah, I can see it. But thats why I got a Passat over a Jetta because of the room I had.

I dont really care about them being on while driving. Just when I open the door or turn the dome light on. Had them in my truck that way and loved it.

Ill have to check Fuelly out. I am ALWAYS looking at my trip MPG and swapping between overall MPG and Current MPG. When I see it hit 200mpg I giggle like a school girl. lol.

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Regarding 5, I have almost the same scratch in the same spot. Didn't notice it until day 5 when waxing the car for the first time. Had to have been there at delivery since the car didn't leave my sight in those first 5 days.
Anyways, if it's just a surface scratch it may polish out. Mine was more of a cut, so I decided that anything I try will make it worse and it's not noticable unless I look for it. Anyways, I figure I'd commiserate since misery loves company.

kutch98

TDI
'14 Passat
Its prob from shipping and unloading is my guess. Havent had a chance to go by the dealership yet.

Curious, I cant find it online, what size speakers are in the se passats? I have the 8 speaker system.

kutch98

TDI
'14 Passat
I saw them in the store, thats my pic of them. Hwve you used them? I think I would rather have oem fogs vs these.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
#2 will provide no usable increase is light in foggy conditions. Those are glorified accent lights or DRL. The same is true of every OEM "fog lights" I have had on 15+ vehicles. My Passat is no different.

If you want effective fog lights, prepare to spend more money. I have had some PIAA in the past and the Hella Micro DE looks good too.