2014 Passat - manual or auto?

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
I picked a manual car for the usual reasons (better mileage, easier/cheaper maintenance) but the other reason to get the SE over the SEL was fewer fancy/complicated things to go wrong. Some folks like KESSY, I like KISS.

I think that KESSY is one of my favorite things about my Passat

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
I didn't like the DSG, but it is better then most automatic transmissions ...
I'm very happy with my Highline with a manual.:D
You lucky you know what....

I'm convinced VW wouldn't even offer in a manual if it wasn't for the fact that they could claim 43 mpg and 795 mi range.

Dealers in Florida act like they don't exist. I've never seen one on the lot other than taken straight off the truck to be prepped for a customer. I just happened to see it by chance.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Looking at a 2013/2014 Manual tranny Passat. What deals (discounts) are you guys seeing? I know VW has good financing right now. Just curious what people are getting off of the original MSRP.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
Looking at a 2013/2014 Manual tranny Passat. What deals (discounts) are you guys seeing? I know VW has good financing right now. Just curious what people are getting off of the original MSRP.
There is a pricing thread that many many people have posted in. Search for "what did you pay" or something similar, don't remember the exact wording.

Exceptional deals can be had right now if you look around a bit. I paid $22,775 for my '14 6MT about a month ago.

kpenner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI 3.0L
All - thanks for all the advice, I will probably go with the manual as my wife likes to shift also (even though it is supposed to be my car, 'cause she has a new Ford Edge SEL Ecoboost):eek:

kpenner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI 3.0L
All - thanks for the advice, I pulled the trigger today on a '14 Opera Red manual SE, corn silk interior. The dealership (Autobahn VW in Dallas) is going to install the premium wood trim in the interior for me to upgrade it a bit. I can't wait to get it, however there were only 2 in existence in the USA, both on the dock in Houston bound for elsewhere in the USA so Autobahn is swooping in to intercept one for me. :eek: Can't wait to take it on my first trip to Colorado next month!

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I bought mine at the end of July last year and my dealer (Germain of Ann Arbor), wouldn't deal at all on price. They didn't really deal on price when I bought my 2002 either. They say they don't have problems selling them for sticker, so they keep the prices there. I'm always amazed at some of the deals that I saw on this forum from people around the country.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I bought a 2012 TDI SE with DSG this week for inventory at my dealership. It has 88,000 miles on it. I spent most of the day today driving it. I must say that even though I still prefer my 6M, the DSG behaves much better than the DSG in many other VW's that I have driven. It also got within 2 mpg of what I get with my 6M on the same trip.

And on a side note, if my 2013 holds up as well as the 2012 I just bought, I will be very happy. It still rides, drives, looks, and smells like a new car. I need to check the turbo numbers to see if it has had one replaced, and I might pull an oil sample to see what aluminum numbers are looking like by that kind of mileage.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
And on a side note, if my 2013 holds up as well as the 2012 I just bought, I will be very happy. It still rides, drives, looks, and smells like a new car. I need to check the turbo numbers to see if it has had one replaced, and I might pull an oil sample to see what aluminum numbers are looking like by that kind of mileage.
That would be very good info to know. Think you could "write off" the UOA? :cool:

JonEMTP

TDI
2014 Passat SE
Alright... So I just bought a SE (Manual).

Is it possible to get the memory power seat unit installed? I've looked around, and can't find a thread that covered this particular question.