Fog lights to automatically come on with headlights?

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I did a search and did not find anything:

All of my other cars have a separate switch for the fog lights and if it is on, it will turn them on with the headlights automatically. It seems to me, on the passat, that I have to take the switch out of auto to manual to let them come on.

Any mod for this?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
That is an asian car thing(maybe some us) euro cars make you turn them on every time. I don't understand why people need to have them on all the time.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Comes on for safety. In addition I turn my headlights on most of the time. I have discovered that my JSW is nearly invisible to other drivers.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Comes on for safety. In addition I turn my headlights on most of the time. I have discovered that my JSW is nearly invisible to other drivers.
If other drivers can't see you with headlights on, foglights are not going to make you be seen.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
That is an asian car thing(maybe some us) euro cars make you turn them on every time. I don't understand why people need to have them on all the time.
My other two vehicles are a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2010 Ford F150. I bought this car to play and get good mileage. Being that I do not drive this car all the time, I am worried that if I did turn them on, I will walk away from the car with the lights on expecting them to turn off automatically.

I drive 90 percent back roads early in the morning. I have found the extra side view the fogs give me make it easier to spot animals crossing the road earlier. To me its safety for me and the other animals.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
sorry, thought you sig said 2006.
if they are factory original fogs, check with DANA in you have a ross-tech cable.

Krazykid

TDI
2012 SE
Fogs Lights on with Switch in Auto

Is it possible with the ross-tech software to enable the fogs lights to come on with the headlights in Auto?

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
My other two vehicles are a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2010 Ford F150. I bought this car to play and get good mileage. Being that I do not drive this car all the time, I am worried that if I did turn them on, I will walk away from the car with the lights on expecting them to turn off automatically.

I drive 90 percent back roads early in the morning. I have found the extra side view the fogs give me make it easier to spot animals crossing the road earlier. To me its safety for me and the other animals.
I've noticed that the fog lights also keep deer away.

I think that deer tend to mistake only two lights in normal cars as pairs of eyes, while FOUR EYES either make them notice it is not a fellow animal (or predator), or just scare them more (to the point of keeping away).

Keeping deer away is a must in this part of NJ.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Once I figured out how to manually turn them on, I see a lot more deer and elk standing on the side of the road, even pedal bikers wearing all black in the rain. (common problem here in portlandia) The fogs give a true 180 degree lighting that is usefull in my parts- they really help on the moonless rainy nights

Last edited:

FirstJetta

TDI
Passat Highline Sports TDI DSG, 2013;Previous VW - Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Auto switch for fog

What I found odd is that I think there is a position for the headlight switch that should (note should) automatically turn on the fog/driving lights with the headlights in my 2013 Passat. If you turn headlight switch clockwise and pull it out to turn on fog/driving lights you can then turn it back counterclockwise (when pulled out) to a detente position between Auto and the extreme clockwise position. Headlights will then work automatically but although fog/driving lamp indicator lights up green the fog/driving lamps are still off. What is weird is that if I put the shifter into reverse the fog/driving lamps turn on but go off once I move shifter into drive. I'm confused by this to say the least.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That sounds like an old Saab with cornering lights that would turn on in reverse to light up the sides of the front of the car.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Learn something new every day! Now that you mention it, I recall seeing that setting in VCDS.