AC compressor clutch lock nut?

10packsAday

TDI
2003 mk4 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH
I was driving the other day, and noticed it didn't seem like the AC was working, so i popped the hood, and it looks like I have lost my ac-compressor clutch(...again):

Fortunately i found a spare clutch on the shelf. This has happened previously although the last time I was lucky and found my clutch still resting on my bottom pan when I jacked it up. Unfortunately this last time, I recently had some very sloppy work done, and they didn't put things back together nicely(I also found a few minor screws missing), and I suspect fell out and is now on the roadside somewhere. I guess on the positive, i have this spare, but it looks like I've already used the locknut that came with it on the previous job, and now I don't have a locknut.

I looked on https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...AC-Compressor-Clutch/48576263/1J0820811M.html but I could not find a part number for the nut. I seam to remember it was reverse threaded(could be wrong).

Anybody know the part number for this? or how to find it? or what size? kind of want the new nut in hand before jacking it up.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Lost the clutch face off the AC compressor on the ALH engine in my Vanagon. We were returning from a very long road trip. The AC was working great when I shut the vehicle down at the motel. Next morning, when I turned on the AC , no cool.

I discovered that the clutch face was gone. Luckily, I there was a replacement in a box of things I had packed for the trip (I have not clue how it got in there). Anyway, at the time, I did not realize that the threads on the shaft are the typical 8M 1.25. So, after given it some thought, to make it home, I turned the AC on full blast which kept the clutch kick-in, thus no worries about loosing it.

OP, do not use a cooper, brass or aluminum washer behind the nut. You must use a steel washer and torque to spec. I'm now using one of those nylon end lock nuts!

10packsAday

TDI
2003 mk4 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH
hey thanks for the tip! you know, I think you are right; don't know how that got turned around in my memory; i guess it's easy when you're working where you can't see your hands. ...speaking of hands don't forget to wash them ;)

Last edited: