2015 Jetta DMF Shudder

TDI
2015 VW Jetta
I drive a 2015 Jetta TDI, and I’ve been getting a lot of vibration when accelerating to about 2000-2500 RPMS. I was wandering if this is a problem with the DMF or what else could be causing this vibration and how to fix it. Or even a different clutch someone would recommend. Thanks

TDI
2015 VW Jetta
I’ve also seen some stuff about replacing the dogbone insert or mount, but for the 2015 I can hardly find anything and wander if anyone has had luck with replacing it.

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
I get some shudder when hard on the throttle at low rpm in say 3 or 4th gear. But I have Kerma stage 1 and need to get the dsg tune. I think mine is clutch slipping. Are you tuned?

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
And just to give kudos to Kerma, I received an unsolicited email with a tune adjustment for our vehicle. I’m not a picky guy, and though it is related to the DSG slipping, not a big deal to me, just don’t drive that way until DSG tuned. Who does that stuff? Obviously Kerma pays attention to its customers. Thank you.

TDI
2015 VW Jetta
I don’t have my car tuned I want to get these problems taken care of before hand, I hope it’s not my clutch slipping, but I also kinda want to upgrade

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
First, lets be clear about the subject.... the phenomenon commonly referred to as "DMF shudder" usually happens near the torque peak, typically between 1700-2000 rpm in top gears 4/5/6 at full throttle. Some cars will do it harder and more frequently, others less or not at all, and varying degrees of severity. Some describe "kinda like driving over a little gravel" others say it's like the engine wants to jump out of the car. Others... nothing at all. No apparent differences between cars, but some do it, some don't. Almost always associated with a tuned car... so the blame is tyically laid on a tune that is "too powerful for the weak dmf clutch" or some such nonsense.

Clutches that are overloaded or worn out will SLIP, NOT SHUDDER. Slipping means RPMs will climb rapidly while the car does not move any faster. RPM may "bounce" somewhat as the clutch alternately catches and slips, but this does NOT shake the car. This is exactly what happens in gassers and Euro tdi's with similar transmissions, and every other tdi clutch in the older cars, even with DMF. USA CR TDI clutches are not special unicorns! An overloaded or worn out clutch will SLIP NOT SHUDDER. The difference is in the *ENGINE* management. Not the transmission.

However...What the OP describes in that brief post does not strictly fit the classic "shudder" that is commonly (and mistakenly) associated with the DMF. When there's a shake like that at RPM over 2000, in a stock car, it could be a failing DMF, but it is more likely a CV jont or axle or possibly a motor mount. There is no mention of whether the engine is cold or not, no CEL or any other conditions. But IMO the OP should look at other causes before considering the clutch.

For heavens sake DO NOT buy a SMF for your USA CR car, unless you are ok buying a complete new transmission on 10-15k miles!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
For heavens sake DO NOT buy a SMF for your USA CR car, unless you are ok buying a complete new transmission on 10-15k miles!

Yes cause there's soooo many SMF kits for DSGs ;)

I'd wager inspecting axles and tires as potential causes. Is the vibration in the steering wheel? How many miles on the car?

As for Dogbone, seeing it's MQB platform there's slews of Gasser options that should work but then you'll be dealing with more vibration at idle, which has had mix reviews in prior platforms.

Last edited:
TDI
2015 VW Jetta
It’s not an axel or tire problem, it doesn’t do it all the time just when accelerating and it’s not in the steering wheel it’s just a mostly a noise that makes me a little uneasy. And it’s not when it’s in idle either. It only has 30k miles, but like it was said above it could be a motor mount or something along those lines