Engine Code

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Needing to order a service kit for my 2013 LUX and they are stating it's for the CNRB engine code. Where can I verify this before purchase. Looking to get, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and cabin.

Car is approaching 30K and I bought it at 20K with no service records, it was a corporate car.The VIN checked with a friend that works at a VW dealer to have been serviced every year which on this car was before 5K miles most of the time. So I guess it HAS records, I just never obtained them. I could if I felt I needed them.

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
Hold the trip reset button for 10 seconds with the ignition on but car not running. Should show up on the little screen. Most 2013 are CNRB but possibly early 2013 came with CATA.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Thanks, Folks at IDparts were confident it was a CNRB, will confirm tonight as I didn't drive it today

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Either way I don't believe there is any difference in filter / oil specs between the years.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The build tag in the trunk will have the engine code on it, or the dealer can decipher it from the VIN. There is a tag on the engine somewhere, but I am not sure exactly where. I am pretty sure it is on the front edge of the passenger side valve cover. A white tag, with a bar code and a bunch of other stuff, but somewhere on it you'll see "CNR" they may leave off the "B", which is annoying because there is also a CNRA engine... but those are not sold here.

Alldata only shows the CNRB for the 2013 model year, and they are usually correct.

Last edited:

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
You need not change oil by time, only miles. If you drive 5,000 miles in 6 months and park it for 6 months, after the year, you can drive another 5,000 miles. Oil does NOT deteriorate just sitting there. Number of engine cycles deteriorate oil. An engine just sitting has no cycles, or one that has 5,000 miles a year (approx. 100 miles/wk), is STILL good for another 5,000 miles.