2012 passat body structure

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Obviously, this was a serious collision. I'm not sure I understand what or how you're comparing this to previous models. It appears to me that the body did what it's designed to do: absorb the massive force of the collision by crumpling in a controlled manner, while keeping the passenger cabin as intact as possible.

I would agree that the intrusion into the cabin isn't pretty, but unless we learn the details of the collision, it isn't really fair to campare...IMHO.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That vehicle was hit HARD.
And whatever hit it was taller than the rear bumper beam... If you notice the bumper didn't move much, the impact was on the soft bodywork and just folded the bumper structure around.

The same thing just happened to our 91 Jetta.

It looks like the Passat did really well for how big of an accident that was.

-J

MaynardLD50

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
So let me understand this, you don't own the car and you're researching safety. You probably stumbled on the awards that it has received for safety, but not being satisfied you dig deeper. You find a picture of OUR car that was hit extremely hard and the inside shows limited damage. I would wage a bet that everyone lived in this accident with minor injuries. So please do show a comparison of your B5.5 that "take a hit a lot better than this". I'll need the same car, hit at the same speed and in the same spot, fool.

ekiM

TDI
2012 Passat

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I was just rear ended on Monday. A MkIII Jetta didn't stop in time when traffic slowed down on the interstate and plowed into the back of our Passat. He couldn't drive away. Our bumper cover is scratched. I am sure there is some internal damage to the bumper, but I think the car faired very, very well.

(Link to more details of the accident)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This thread is about to go the way of the Dodo...

Anyone feel like rescuing it?

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Only YOU can prevent rear end collisions... don't drink and text... er operate heavy machinery if it travels faster than you can walk under the influence of smartphones and dumb operators.

One of my biggest concerns is looking in the rear view mirror with a young driver having eyes everywhere inside their car except on the road in front of them... it mandates an immediate lane change from me. That and A$$hats that don't allow one car length per 10mph of speed we are traveling at, minimum, especially in light traffic conditions.

Last edited: