EGT temps AFTER emissions fix??

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
Has anyone else been monitoring their EGT temps on their post-fix TDI's, and noticed some abnormally high temps even when there is no regen going on?
I live in the NC mountains, so I do encounter some hills frequently, but this seems a little excessive from what I've read other members post. The car is a 2014 JSW w/ 6MT and 47k miles.

This is a screenshot I took of my EGT temp (sensor #1: pre-turbo) while just doing some normal city driving (moderately heavy acceleration from stoplights, but not flooring it/redlining it either). This is the highest temp I saw, but during acceleration I frequently saw the range hover between 1200-1400F. Is this normal?

I've read on this forum that the emissions fix puts a little more stress on the emissions system components, hence VW's extended emissions warranty. Is it safe to assume that these high temps are just that, or is there something going on with my particular car? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
i agree, totally normal. My car is deleted and i have seen some pretty high EGT's during spirited driving

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
This is normal, likely doing a passive regen, EGT limiter is 830C (1525f) during aggressive use. Temps should drop to around 400 at idle.

Here's a regen example with fairly normal driving, the vehicle is not stock though. https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/239515

can see sustained higher EGT with light driving while soot load comes down
https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/...Iw7TDg8KyPFIDK2XCkVsxw6tPe8OdG8OYEX9LdAIAAA==
Thank you for this, its very helpful. However, I am still experiencing some strange behavior, and have some concerns.

I am also monitoring "DPF regen status" and "DPF regen type". Both of those have been at "0" while I'm seeing high temps. Would those values change during a passive regen? And how often to passive regens typically happen?

My main concern is that I am seeing temps get to 1400F EVERY time I drive the car (regular driving, no WOT). Yesterday on my commute home (1 hour long) my car started doing an active regen. Both Regen Status and Regen Type went to "1". The regen lasted about 15 minutes, and temps hovered in the 1200-1300F range the whole time. Totally normal, no concerns. However, after the regen happened, for the remaining 35 minutes of my commute, the temps constantly fluctuated between 600-1400F. This is all at 60-65mph cruising speeds, on relatively flat road (occasional mild hills, but nothing major).

Is that normal? Would passive regens keep happening immediately after an active regen? It seems that my car can't go 5 minutes of normal driving without the temp spiking up to 1400F. And it happens constantly. Should I be concerned?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
yes these egt spikes are normal, and of no concern. It is another "type" of "active" regen that acts on the noxcat not the DPF. It lasts a few seconds and happens quite frequently.

You can log in MVB groups 99, 100, and 104 to observe the state bits when it happens, bit 4 = NSC regen that you see in group 104. Binary value 00010000 in group 104, or "FF10" if you are using Polar FIS to watch "DPF st"

again, perfectly normal, and of no concern whatsoever.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
yep, I recently installed a P3cars multi function gauge in the left air vent of my post-fix 2014 JSW with 80k miles and I see brief moments of 1400F EGT during normal driving. I assume that the car was doing it before I added the gauge and have observed no adverse performance. It's good to know that this is normal.

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I also have the P3 multifunction gauge. The air vent mount is clean looking and I use it to watch EGT. I put the P3 in when I bought my '12 JSW new. I can confirm the post fix EGT readings have changed. The short term of ~1200-1400 were alarming at first but since the DPF is covered under the warranty - I try to not worry. At least not much.