Collision repair

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
Hi all. Been pondering this for a while. I’m wondering if anyone has enough money tied up in their B5.5 that they would have a collision situation repaired regardless of the fact it would probably total out? Would anyone drop more money into the car even if it exceeded what insurance would pay you for the car? I have parts cars and I really hate the thought of scrapping them!! Been in collision repair for almost 30 years now so I see value in those used parts! I see an opportunity to keep a car on the road longer! Anyone’s thoughts would be appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is this your new thing now? You've become so old and bitter in your later years that the only "help" you can offer is to post videos of cars being crushed?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

OP: I bring a lot of cars back to life that have been "totaled". Although sometimes collision damage cannot be realistically fixed, I have just taken such a crashed car after being parted out to the scrapper last weekend, and another is loaded on the trailer now. In both cases, they were beyond fixing.

But my Golf was rear ended last year, and I had it fixed. The dumb broad Lexus driver (shocker) that hit me suffered much more. Euro hitch on a German car > crunchy bits on a Japanese car. I drove away, she got towed.

Fortunately, my friend was able to pull it out pretty good, so you really cannot tell once the bumper cover was back on. I got $1400 from their insurance, spent $800 of it on getting it pulled back straight and two new tail lamps (they got a slight crack).

This went last weekend:

It was actually tweaked up into the rocker on the left rear door opening, as well as the whole roof was arched.

This is going this weekend:

It hit hard enough to move both the rails a couple inches to the passenger side, and bent the firewall a little bit. The subframe was in a bind when I took the powertrain down out of it.

This one was fixed and saved:

This one (which almost had 300k miles on it at the time) has its engine alive in another car still to this day:

This one was fixed, and is still on the road today:

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
If you dont have the ability to do the body work yourself or have a buddy there are plenty of clean b5.5 passats with running issues to be had that make a great candidate for power train swap and you're not left with a salvage or rebuilt title

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
Good to see others like to put forth the extra effort! Sometimes you just need to get one back on the road no matter what! Lol. I agree that having a friend or knowing someone willing to help you out is probably the way to make it happen. Quite possibly the only way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
These cars are so old now that a branded/rebuilt title makes no difference in their value. I fixed my 99.5 Jetta TDI after it got rearended. Insurance gave me $1200 for the car (clean title) and I spent $0 fixing it. Took a sledge hammer to move the trunk latch back and left the bumper cover cracked. 2 years later when I got the Passat, sold the car as-is for $700. :) They are only worth fixing if you can do it yourself or know someone that can do some frame table work for beer money.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Also depends on local and/or vehicle in question.

A salvage passat/civic/camry with salvage title will lose 25% or more value.

A jeep wrangler may knock off 10% depending on why she was salvaged.

A mint 5 speed proper swapped wagon in my area would maybe get 5 thousand if you wait for the tdi nut buyer.

Just too many documented issues with the b5/b5.5 passats in gasser and diesel plus a more complicated costly suspension to maintain, well known for water leaks. The only people who really want them are enthusiasts but it comes down to supply/demand. More people are wanting to move on from said passats than there are people wanting them.

Find a mint low mile bone stock 95 civic hatch or dohc delsol, you'll get a premium.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Oilhammer you got it all wrong, you get wiser when you get older, your not there yet!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like the wheel covers on the car trailer.

If you love the car and don't want to sell it, repair cost versus value doesn't matter. Nor does title status.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When the stop sale ended my local dealer had one manual transmission Passat available. Unfortunately it was that color (Goldenrod, I think it is). I thought, that can't be that bad. Then I saw one on the street, and had to pass on it. Got a white GSW instead. Don't love white, but couldn't live with the gold.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The gold/greige/puece/bronze/brown/fecal color palette of so many carmakers is disturbing, and quite frankly a bit gross in my opinion. Volkswagen is no exception.

Jeep and Dodge have some of the most standout color options out there, and many of them look really good. I saw a new Wrangler yesterday that was awesome.

I passed on a 2004 goldish B5 GL wagon and got our gray GLS sedan instead. I do not "love" the gray (Silverstone Gray), but it was much less offensive to my eyes, even though I really DID want a GL wagon.

White is not bad, it isn't repulsive one way or the other, and black is the same but is perpetually filthy looking. At least white you can wash it and 20 minutes later it still LOOKS clean. :p

I wish I could paint, I have now three Golfs and one Jetta that all have the clearcoat falling off. My Indigo Golf looks like the Space Shuttle after re-entry. Although that might be somewhat due to how much time it spends at triple digit speeds. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes, but as long as we're criticizing colors, I would never want an interior that light. I almost always wear jeans and the dye would discolor the seats And Winter isn't kind to beige floor mats. Black interiors only for me, thanks.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Peter,

Point considered, but as long as your pants are dry, the interior surface should remain pristine. :D:eek:

I'm not convinced regarding Oilhammer's comments about old man butt cracks in leather seats, I will look again.