Battery Charger...

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
To all-

I still own a solar panel battery charger that came from Wolfsburg with my 2002 VW Jetta Wagon TDI that I no longer have. However, I have my 2013 Passat SE TDI 6 Speed on order. I kept this "tool" in hopes of using it on future vehicles.

My question to you all is this: will this solar panel charger function on my new VW? I assume it will, but hey, it's always smart to ask a TDI guru...

Lemme know and as always... happy motoring!

Shawn

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Give it a try, and if it doesn't work.... send it to me for my 2002 jetta GLS tdi. :D The electronics on these things get more and more touchy every year.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
No it will not. I also have a solar battery charger and on a schedule all get rotated onto a (110 V) battery trickle charger (Deltron Battery Tender Plus). Now I know it does take less time to get back up to 100%, than if I didn't use the solar battery charger, but I do no know the decrease in hours.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
No thanks.... I've got a Honda EU1000i and a Swedish pulse battery charger that even helps condition and desulphate the plates on lead acid batteries. It's easier to just drive the car regularly and it's a non issue/necessity.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Amazon has them for $20-ish. Assuming you have an "always-on" lighter socket you can stick it in. My "other" car - WK Cherokee has one and it is really convenient, especially now that it doesnt see a whole lotta driving ... the 16MPG HEMI monster she is.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
mine has the 12v powerpoint /cigarrette lighter socket... I'm not willing to sell it at this time... I have 2 other vehicles where it is possible to use...

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
What is graphically apparent when you use a trickle charger ( product like Deltron Battery Tender Plus) are that the VW charge systems are not designed to get the battery back @ or close to 100% of charge.

Indeed some of the sub systems are designed to in effect, draw off or slave off the battery so there is less "stress" on the system that affects mpg, so it can be rated higher.

When you add to that the increasing reliance or integration of electronics, aka electronic EVERYTHING, 24/7 current draw, and in effect custom usage of those electronics, temperature effects, etc., it is amazing that it even stays near 80% of charge.