Bio fuel in 2012 passat

turborip

Today, while fueling up at a walmart in Chattanooga,Tn, I noticed a new lable on the Diesel pump that stated "BIO FUEL BETWEEN B6 and B11".I had just topped off when I noticed it, well I guess that averages to a B8.5 maybe we will get more" lubricity".

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
VWoA requires <5%. However, there are now states that mandate more than that.

As far as I know, VWoA has NOT released any statement of modification to this requirement. I would like to know what they will recommend owners do that MUST buy bio >5% because that's all that's legally available.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wouldn't worry about it. For the record, as mentioned by tdiatlast, VW's max is 5%.

Other manufacturers with similar emissions setups (Ford 6.7 PowerStroke) are certified to B20... use that info however you'd like.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I'm sure VW's numbers are very conservative when specifying 5%.

One tank ain't gonna kill ya.

I bet you could run B20 for the life of the vehicle. But I'm not gonna try it.:)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I personally believe that the B05 restriction was due to a lot of post-injection on the Golfs and Jettas to maintain emissions compliance (DPF regeneration and catalyst control). The post-injection with high concentrations of biodiesel was diluting the engine oil and causing abnormal engine wear.

With the reduction of post-injection on the Passat - since it uses urea - I think that a higher percentage of biodiesel is acceptable.

These are just my personal semi-educated (on this particular matter) opinions. YMMV!

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I personally believe that the B05 restriction was due to a lot of post-injection on the Golfs and Jettas to maintain emissions compliance (DPF regeneration and catalyst control). The post-injection with high concentrations of biodiesel was diluting the engine oil and causing abnormal engine wear.

With the reduction of post-injection on the Passat - since it uses urea - I think that a higher percentage of biodiesel is acceptable.

These are just my personal semi-educated (on this particular matter) opinions. YMMV!
Have you guys personally run any biodiesel yet in your 2012 passat? What about Frank06's perception on biodiesel and cleanliness of residue on injectors and spray patterns, and wear, as a result?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nope. I'll talk to Frank at the Michigan GTG next weekend.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Every station we go to that peddles diesel has the "B5-B20" sticker. I don't care what VW specifies, people are going to be pumping what the industry is putting out through their friendly local filling station, and if VW doesn't cope with any problems that arise from that fuel, they will be the defendant in one very large class action suit, and the judgment will be astronomical.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Rico, that's exactly my point. Sooner or later, VWoA is going to have to modify the "<5% bio" requirement. They will have no choice.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Every station we go to that peddles diesel has the "B5-B20" sticker. I don't care what VW specifies, people are going to be pumping what the industry is putting out through their friendly local filling station, and if VW doesn't cope with any problems that arise from that fuel, they will be the defendant in one very large class action suit, and the judgment will be astronomical.
Since IL state has law passed few years ago that give fuel stations tax credit for selling biodisiel I would say about 90 to 95% off all stations sell B11 to B20. If you are from IL look at this post. Here are some fuel stations who still carrying premium (regular) disiel

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849&highlight=midwest