Maximum range

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
If your's is on order, I'd take a wait and see attitude on fuel fillups. An experienced dieseler knows how to top their tank off... and knows it takes some time to burp the tank of foam to get it full, 3, 4, maybe 5 attempts. Filling up fast at high flow, aggravates the foam up of the fuel
Yeah, I've got mine figured out to where I know what is going in and can make some reasonably accurate calculations.

Jon_2010_Golf_TDI

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M mine, 2012 Passat TDI DSG wifes
I would recommend keeping your fuel gauge out of the red... your fuel serves as cooling function also for the HPFP, and enough needs to be left in there to do the job effectively.
Red is basically a "stop" sign, saying don't go any further without filling up.
I appreciate your concern and I understand this but it does not bother me to do what I do. I see this all over the forum and honestly think it is blown way out of proportion like several other things here. I consistently put 15 to 15.3 gallons in my 2010 golf which has a 14.5 gallon tank and have yet to have a problem so it definitely does not bother me to put less than 18 gallons in a 18.5 gallon tank in the Passat. I will have to say I agree a lot with the people who say drive more and worry less.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
If your's is on order, I'd take a wait and see attitude on fuel fillups. An experienced dieseler knows how to top their tank off... and knows it takes some time to burp the tank of foam to get it full, 3, 4, maybe 5 attempts. Filling up fast at high flow, aggravates the foam up of the fuel.
It's not about the foaminess of the diesel, as far as I can tell. It's the attitude of the car when filling. If you're nose down, then apparently there's a pocket in the tank that's not getting filled. The new tank probably has a vent line installed on the top of this pocket to allow you to fill the tank to capacity, but the miles-remaining indicator on the dash is isn't accurate either.

To the OP, if you know you are consistently filling the tank with 17 gallons, and the indicator says your averaging 48 mpg, then you know you're fairly safe in stopping for fuel when the trip meter says 800 miles (even with a 2% error in the cars average mpg calculation). If your indicating 45 mpg, then I wouldn't risk the extra gallon to make it to 800 miles, I'd stop at 750. No worries, no tracking necessary, just drive.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I appreciate your concern and I understand this but it does not bother me to do what I do. I see this all over the forum and honestly think it is blown way out of proportion like several other things here. I consistently put 15 to 15.3 gallons in my 2010 golf which has a 14.5 gallon tank and have yet to have a problem so it definitely does not bother me to put less than 18 gallons in a 18.5 gallon tank in the Passat. I will have to say I agree a lot with the people who say drive more and worry less.
Thanks for joining those of us that are "beta" test subjects to de-bunk the fuel cooling argument. I, too, have chosen to worry less about the fuel quantity as a cooling element, and so far, have 53k miles on our 09 JSW, which, by the way, had very fine metal particles in the very first FF, changed at 16k miles. I was told then, by several here, that my HPFP was going to quickly fail. No failure yet. (I didn't start additives until 7k miles.)

We've had several road trips in temps well over 95f, and I always wait until we're "in the red" to re-fuel. I'm a bit more comforatble with the 2012 Passat TDI, as it appears the fuel gauge is calibrated to show empty when there is still a substantial amount (1-1.5 gallons?) of fuel remaing.

I choose to use OptiLube XPD for every tank. There are others in this "beta" test group, as well.

No one knows how all these theories will play out. Will the use of XPD prevent ALL catastrophic HPFP failures? Will the use of XPD cause premature (whatever that is!) clogging of my DPF? Only time, and lots of miles, will tell.

I drive more, and still manage to worry plenty!!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
It really is funny to see the hypermilers going crazy because they can't stretch that tank like the old Jettas and stick a feather in their cap because they made 1000 miles.

Put this in perspective guys, 750 MILES on ONE TANK! That is freakin awesome, yet we worry about another 50 miles?

Show me that range in ANY other vehicle with a single tank (except older VW TDI's of course). Even a Prius will not go that far based on what I have heard because they kept the tank small for weight savings.

Last edited:

tdiclubfan

TDI
Shopping for one
Why won't they put a bigger tank in the car so it can break the 1000 miles barrier? It just needs another 5-6 gallons at 40 mpg highway.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Why won't they put a bigger tank in the car so it can break the 1000 miles barrier? It just needs another 5-6 gallons at 40 mpg highway.
Why don't you just buy a 6 gallon jerry can, and your problem is solved.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So the new maximum range is apparently 1600 miles and change. :D

Noobs whining about needing extra fuel for a 1000 mile range... LOL. ;)

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
and why do people care about this stuff? just fuel up and drive...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What's the fun in that? Gotta keep it interesting around here. ;)

Jon_2010_Golf_TDI

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M mine, 2012 Passat TDI DSG wifes
I got to 820 miles and was able to put 16.5 gallons in the tank with a DTE at 30 miles. Yeah, I normally would fill up a bit sooner than this, but circumstances prevented it. I filled it up first at a pump which positioned the nose of the car angled down (15.0 gallons), then drove around to the other side of the pump where the nose was now facing up and added an additional 1.5 gallons. Having the nose up is what allows the additional 1.5 gallons in my car. FWIW, that is 49.7 mpg's on this tank and the MFD read 49.8
I did this with the Wife's Passat tonight except I just backed up to the pump behind me to get the nose up (at this station it slopes downward both directions from between the pumps) and I got .43 more gallons in it. Next time I will fill up nose up first the pull forward to nose down and see if I can get more in. I want to make sure it is not just moving the car to empty the neck that is allowing me to get more in there.

Niner

how to you guys gauge when to stop burping the tank? I'm worried about backsplash :(
That's what the paper towels are for next to the windshield washer/squeegee. Stuff a couple of them under the neck of the filler before you put the fuel nozzle in. :D Wipe up, clean up, and dispose of in the trash at the fuel station.

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
My last tank: 801.5 miles on 17.001 gallons.
Only 2700 miles on the car, should see more once broken in...

MaynardLD50

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
That's what the paper towels are for next to the windshield washer/squeegee. Stuff a couple of them under the neck of the filler before you put the fuel nozzle in. :D Wipe up, clean up, and dispose of in the trash at the fuel station.
This is such an easy thing I can't believe I didn't think of it.

I will use your paper towel engineering idea and when it work's I'll say "Ohhh Niner you smart sonova..." and people will stare at me and think "Diesel owners are an odd bunch".

Yes, Yes we are.

Niner

This is such an easy thing I can't believe I didn't think of it.
I will use your paper towel engineering idea and when it work's I'll say "Ohhh Niner you smart sonova..." and people will stare at me and think "Diesel owners are an odd bunch".
Yes, Yes we are.
Hey, it's been working on my butt for over 50 years, no longer... I was knocking over sippees long before I was potty trained.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I've managed to get 760 w/ 17.6gal of fuel so far. But like others have said, i wouldn't feel comfortable driving any further just to see how many miles I could realistically get.

P.S. That was 98% highway driving WITH the wind behind me for about 80% of the trip.