Finding TDC without the flywheel mark.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Hi all,

As some know, I replaced my old clutch with a Stage 1 clutch with a 21 pound flywheel from TDIParts.com. The only thing is that the flywheel does NOT have a TDC mark on it anywhere that you use to set timing during a TB job. I was told that there is a tool out there somewhere that lets you find TDC without the mark.

Is this true? Anyone have experience with this? I want to confirm that my timing is 100%, as I am trying to chase down why the engine is using oil and I'm told that sometimes bad timing will do that.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I tried using a machinists indicator but you can't really get a seat on something level on the piston which pushes the indicator sidewards. Eventually I found out if you get a mechanics mirror and a bright light (the tiny but super bright led flashlights work great), you can angle the mirror and see underneath the bell housing and find the original mark. Then you just transfer it where it is useful.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Eventually I found out if you get a mechanics mirror and a bright light (the tiny but super bright led flashlights work great), you can angle the mirror and see underneath the bell housing and find the original mark. Then you just transfer it where it is useful.
Sorry, but what? :confused: How can I transfer an original mark if there is no mark to transfer on the flywheel? The 21 pound flywheel is brand new from TDIParts, but there is no TDC mark on it at all anywhere.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
There is a few items to check TDC .
Remove the valve cover ,rotate the engine to where the cam lobes on the number one cylinder are up on each side - at this point you should be able to insert the cam lock - and pin the injection pump .

If all of that works out , remove the lock and pin - remove the number one glow plug and stick an indicator (like a 10" piece of wire hanger will work,something you won't loose in the cylinder) in the glow plug hole - then rotate the engine slowly to check if the #1 cylinder is at the highest point - if it is ,at this time clearly mark the flywheel (with a chissel ) so you can see it next time you need to locate it.

And of corse you still need to use VCDS to check your injection timing.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Installer error for not checking this in advance....

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
terrydtdi said:
remove the number one glow plug and stick an indicator in the glow plug hole - then rotate the engine slowly to check if the #1 cylinder is at the highest point - if it is ,at this time clearly mark the flywheel (with a chissel ) so you can see it next time you need to locate it.
This is a bit tricky. There is little if any vertical piston movement through 10 or so degrees of crank rotation at TDC. To get an accurate indication of TDC in this manner, you will need to rotate the crank back and forth, watching for when the indicator stops and then starts to drop again. TDC is the middle between the two points.

An assistant helps immensely here, as does having all glowplugs out for ease of rotation.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
there is a mark on crank pulley and lower Tbelt cover at 12:00

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I had to use the mark on the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) and the timing belt cover. Car runs like a champ. There is another thread about the TDC mark being three teeth from a specific spot on the fly wheel... I'll dig around and see if I can come up with it.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Thanks guys. I did know that the flywheel did not have a mark before I installed it. And I made a mark when the cam and pump lock were in place and before I removed the TB, so I do know I was close. I just want to be 100% sure because I'm obsessive compulsive in that regard. So I'll double check with the 3 teeth to the left of the pin, and the harmonic balancer marks.
I have been running like that for 4000Km since my engine install, and the engine starts quick and has good power, however, it is using oil and I read somewhere that if the timing is off, it may cause the engine to use oil. That, and I want to be sure.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Dimitri16V said:
there is a mark on crank pulley and lower Tbelt cover at 12:00
Understood, but have you evr tried to line up the flywheel using only that mark? try it and see how close the flywheel mark comes to TDC. You'd be surprised (or not) at how much variability there is in the harmonic mark compared to the one on the flywheel.