The axle nut saga

lizwagen

TDI
2011 Jetta Wagon

Went to replace front passenger hub assembly on my 11 Jetta wagon. Thought it would take about an hour. Well, 2 hours later, me and my buddy had broken 2 breaker bars, 1/2” impact did nothing, I took it over to my buddies at firestone to have them break it loose and they couldn’t get it to budge, and I took it to a friend of a friend with a 1” impact and 4’ breaker bar – nothing happened except we broke the breaker bar.

At this point, we’ve got 4 of us standing around staring at each other at a complete loss, but enjoying our beers nonetheless. A couple days later, I took it to a mechanic near my apartment and I explained how tight it was and what we’d already tried and I asked if they could give it a shot. They had 2 techs work on it and then they were bewildered and said “sorry we don’t know what to tell you.”

I finally take it to my VW dealership – I’ve got a good relationship with those guys. Sitting in the waiting room, I hear ugga dugga ugga dugga ugga dugga ugga dugga for a good 20 minutes. I’m laughing my butt off at this point. After 40 minutes waiting, the tech brings me my keys and says “you’re good to go. We got it to break loose.” I asked what they did and he laughed, “we did things.” He told me they finally got it loose with a 4’ breaker bar after hitting it with the impact forever.

So a couple days later, I get with my buddy and we got the hub changed within about an hour, no other problems.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Torque spec only 150 ft lbs, so absolutely no reason to have this much trouble with the dang thing. My buddy told me I should frame the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
All the time. Run a saltwater boat. Last was pulled races off a hub. Milwaukee m18 1/2 or 1" and some 12 amp hour batteries and torch and have not met anything we couldn't handle. Tractors , anything.

Did you smash your thumb? Hope that isn't nail polish, JC.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Torque spec only 150 ft lbs, so absolutely no reason to have this much trouble with the dang thing.

According to my VW repair manual the torque for the 12 point nut is 200 nm plus 180 degrees. Which is tight! Really tight. As in you are sure the bolt will snap at any minute tight. I use a 3/4" drive 48" breaker bar and it takes most everything I have to get the 180 degrees.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I struggled to get mine off recently, long bar with a pipe, one took some heat.
I found 2 different specs for torque depending on style of bolt... some have ribbed washers some don't.... 150fr/lbs + 180° for the ribbed.... yikes. i got it maybe 60°. code enough. it's friggin tight.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
The 200nm plus 180 degrees kicks my butt, with a breaker bar and cheater I can maybe get 100-120 degrees, I just leave it there, no issues with it loosening or bearing failure, IMO the spec is probably unnecessarily tight. That said, I have never had a problem getting the axle bolts out even from factory on 2 different sport wagons, and I'm only going at it with a 1/2" breaker bar and 1/2" impact.