162,000 miles & 11 years values on “FIXED” vs “CPO” on other cars

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
[FONT=&quot]My car = 2015 Golf TDi DSG Tungsten Silver, clean 5,650 miles

162,000 miles & 11 years values on “FIXED” vs “CPO” on other cars

For those of us still driving the our TDi, we have the BB and the "FIX" as an option.

Not wanting to leave any money on the table, I'm watching my car's NADA - KBB (FUTURE) resale values.

If I do the FIX. ($7,000-ish plus $1,000 no nw car TT&L = $8,000-ish)

BB = $25,625

i. e. I'm looking at the 2014 - 2013 - 2012 - 2011 Golf TDi DSG NADA - KBB values.

I am wondering how much of the warranty is being reflected in the currant older used car values? The TDI used vehicles are over the moon.

Any way there is a 3rd option Do the "FIX" with the plan to sell for a good price in the future.

For me? I really do not want to give up the DSG, as much as the TDi
[/FONT]

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it just makes me sick knowing a '15 thats been in-service for 2-3 years has only 5K miles, your golf must cry each time it starts knowing it only going 2 miles down the road

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it just makes me sick knowing a '15 thats been in-service for 2-3 years has only 5K miles, ......
....... We Okies who happen to be looking for a used car, look for the low mileage, one CARFAX owner, garage kept, VW dealer serviced cars with records.

...... any new owner can MOD 'em up latter:eek::p:D:rolleyes:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
740gle

Fessing up to a short hop this morning.

Just drove to the drug store drive up window.

3.5 miles round trip. Garage temp 65 degrees

My TDi was getting even with me, as it was in the low 40s outside.

Even when I got home the car gage was nowhere near the 180 operating temp.

AFAICT diesel car heaters ARE inferior to gas powered cars. YUCK

Regarding the history of my low 5,628(?) mileage:

Most of the time it is in the garage, out of the sun & weather elements.

…. Just piling up low mileage adjustment on NADA – KBB and holding the CONDITION factor.

My need for a driver is 90 % doctor visits, and 10 % visits to see Mom. A 178 mile round trip.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

AFAICT diesel car heaters ARE inferior to gas powered cars. YUCK

Diesel car heaters are exactly the same as the heaters in gas powered vehicles. Using hot water to heat air is an old and trusted technology. The difference is that diesel engines are more thermally efficient than gasoline engines (IOW: They do not waste as much fuel creating heat). Your problem is that because of the increased thermal efficiency, it does take a diesel engine longer to warm up. This is just one of the problems with short trips in a diesel powered vehicle. Once the coolant is hot, a diesel's heater works just as well as any other car's heater. The only real difference in the heaters is that our diesel powered cars have a small electric heater to give us a little heat before the engine gets warm. It is what it is.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I have no idea why everything you write needs to be in boldface.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel car heaters are exactly the same as the heaters in gas powered vehicles. Using hot water to heat air is an old and trusted technology.

The difference is that diesel engines are more thermally efficient than gasoline engines (IOW: They do not waste as much fuel creating heat). Your problem is that because of the increased thermal efficiency, it does take a diesel engine longer to warm up.

This is just one of the problems with short trips in a diesel powered vehicle. Once the coolant is hot, a diesel's heater works just as well as any other car's heater.

The only real difference in the heaters is that our diesel powered cars have a small electric heater to give us a little heat before the engine gets warm.

It is what it is.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I have no idea why everything you write needs to be in boldface.

Don, Thanks for the education om my heater:D

I did not know we have a small electric heater to give a little heat at first. I have always wondered about that.

i. e. I get a little heat from the get go -- but it takes miles to get the car HOT.

Obviously going to see mom (in colder weather) we have heat soon enough. 5-6 miles. 78 miles both legs.

Trips to see Doctors are not as friendly. Like 12 miles on the front leg. And 12 miles on the return leg.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Addendum

Car sat in garage after the first short hop for about 2.5 hours. Temp never got fully up to 200 degrees. but warm-ish. Out side temp came up to 'bout 55. Garage temp about 65

Then went to bank. A noticeably faster warm up for car interior. At 'bout 3 miles.

Conclusion:

Drive more -- worry less.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
yeah - my work commute is ~ 30 miles - I start having heat at about mile 15 in my NB, a bit sooner in the 2015 Golf. Electric heated seats are a wonderful thing in a diesel car. I dress for it...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah - my work commute is ~ 30 miles - I start having heat at about mile 15 in my NB, a bit sooner in the 2015 Golf. Electric heated seats are a wonderful thing in a diesel car. I dress for it...
All in all, dieselgate has been 'bout the second best car deal of my life.

..... The acid test is: will I get another Golf, (if-when) I move on. Answer YES.

Resale value is first on my list of TDi goodies:D

DSG is my honey hole. TDi is a secondary issue for me. Even with the (best ever) 60.1 MPG round trip to Mom's house.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
I have to ask, If you enjoy the car, and are going to keep it, who cares what the value is?
Just drive it and enjoy.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have to ask, If you enjoy the car, and are going to keep it, who cares what the value is?
Just drive it and enjoy.
I do enjoy the car. The reason I bought it in the first place was because I owned a 2003 GSL Golf, but with a 5 manual. I wanted an AUTO new Golf.

Happened to educate myself in selling the 2003 that Diesel was 'bout 40 % more resale value on that model.

.....and when buying my new unit, I found a dealer that was selling a Diesel for very little more than a gasser:eek: ~~~ and he delivered it to Tulsa from MO.

.... Signed the papers in the front room, cleared the note in 3 months.

I have 'bout 300 days to make a final decision on the FIX vs BB. The 162,000 - 11 year Warranty is one issue. And I am tracking the NADA - KBB values on my car as time goes by.

Regarding the FIX (if I do it) ~~ Mine is a 2015, so I am watching the "book" values on the 2014 and 2013 Golf (S) with comp low mileage comparison.

Regarding th BB it is a fixed number $25,625. If I do the buy back, First I have to negotiate a price, delivered to Tulsa. Best I can tell is I will loose the DSG AND the TDi AND the 162,000 mile - 11 year stuff. (TRANSFERABLE)

..... sooooo

Wait to see when the 2018 Golfs (base model) hit the showrooms. This was supposed to be my last car. This ol' geezer is not going to leave any money on the table.

Come next 4-10 months would like to use any wind fall to clear the note on wife's 2015 Toyota RAV4 LIMITED. Yes it is low miles too. 16,700-ish

I don't know if I fully answered your query. All I know is I like to have a clean car to drive, own, enjoy, and not bust my back account. And yes, I sell mine on the CURB

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The advantage of driving an NMS Passat on cold mornings is that the normal diesel cold-bloodedness is offset by the great supplementary electric heater. I just jump in and hit the max defrost button, and heat to keep the windshield clear, and taking some of the chill off the cabin happens very quickly. Good enough, anyway, during the wait for the coolant to come up to temperature and the regular heater to kick in. Yeah, and the bun-warmers in the seats are a good thing, too.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The advantage of driving an NMS Passat on cold mornings is that the normal diesel cold-bloodedness is offset by the great supplementary electric heater.
My Golf is a base model (S) - have no idea of my reality regarding any differences

I just jump in and hit the max defrost button, and heat to keep the windshield clear, and taking some of the chill off the cabin happens very quickly. Good enough, anyway, during the wait for the coolant to come up to temperature and the regular heater to kick in. Yeah, and the bun-warmers in the seats are a good thing, too.

... keeping the windshield clear is no problem as we keep 'em in the garage. If we have freezing drizzle weather, we do not travel.

.... yesterday I was taking PICs of my shrubbery and MUMs. So I had a perfect reason to test the heater, with the car at "IDLE."

.... 'bout 25 minuets. results -- gauge on full left side (cold). But learning to live with it. :D -- naturally cabin was cold-ish with window down for pics.

mine has no seat heater