When does the 162,000 mile, 11 year Emission Modification Warranty begin?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
MODs, please move if the is in the wrong area.

I will be taking my 2015 Golf TDi in for the emissions modification stage 1.

We all know the stage 2 will be sometime in the future.

Does anyone know if the Warranty in in affect as soon as stage one is done?

I would have concerns if the Warranty was not in affect until next year (after the stage 2 was finished.)

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
This forum is full of threads about owners not maintaining their vehicles (oil changes, etc) while awaiting buyback. That can be considered a violation of warranty requirements. If such an owner switched to the 'fix' is VW still willing to warrant a vehicle which has not been properly maintained for a couple years?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This forum is full of threads about owners not maintaining their vehicles (oil changes, etc) while awaiting buyback. That can be considered a violation of warranty requirements. If such an owner switched to the 'fix' is VW still willing to warrant a vehicle which has not been properly maintained for a couple years?

good question

have this to add

Warranty Period The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:  11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR  5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2. The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:  The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators  The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators  The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators  The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper  The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than those related to the transmission. Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train . The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer. More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we sent to you in January 2017
Extended Emissions Warranty Coverage (continued) Transferability This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners. Warranty Notices All normal warranty provisions remain in effect…
I do not see how VW can offer a 11 year warranty to cars that have been abused with little or no maintenance.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
That sounds like a rhetorical question to me. If the question is, could VW go down a path where they refused warranty without a documented service history, then the answer is "yes." My opinion, since this is in the context of the settlement, is "no way."

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why did you ask this question and then post the text that answers it?

With regards to warranty after the fix ... Are you talking about people who are keeping the vehicle and are getting the fix done (in which case, they have a motivation to continue proper maintenance), or are you talking about people potentially buying previously-owned 2015 models that VW is reselling with the fix applied?

The previously-owned models that VW is reselling with the fix applied will have that warranty in effect the moment the person buying the car (used) picks it up from the dealer. So why ask the question?

If the previous owner of that vehicle didn't keep up with maintenance prior to having it bought back ... Given the length of the warranty being supplied and what it applies to, much of any potential side effects are going to be on VW anyhow.

Skipping one or two oil changes isn't likely to make your engine blow up.

Given that this only affects 2015 models, very few of them would have been overdue for a major maintenance (timing belt, etc) anyhow.

As for the Gen 1 models that this might hypothetically eventually apply to (which we don't know, because there has been no fix announced) ... at least locally, we know that there's a pretty steady stream of them being crushed, shredded, and remelted ...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why did you ask this question and then post the text that answers it?
My headers (the question) was not well thought out.
With regards to warranty after the fix ... Are you talking about people who are keeping the vehicle and are getting the fix done (in which case, they have a motivation to continue proper maintenance),
I have the motivation to properly do maintenance. But I am a low miles driver. My information dash screen has been flashing * do you oil change in 30-29-28-27-26-25-etc days.* But, my odometer has 5,155 miles. Approx 2,500 miles (1 year back) I did the oil, filter, tire rotation etc. Right now I am just ignoring it. I do not want to take it to the dealer, as it my cost something; and I do not want to do any paid services either.
Additionally, the *time* maintenance requires ~ “Every 2 years, regardless of mileage: Dust and pollen filter: Replace (if applicable) Every 2 years, regardless of mileage: Tire filler bottle in the tire mobility kit: Check (observe expiration date) (if applicable)” I want to skip any possibility of a cost.
or are you talking about people potentially buying previously-owned 2015 models that VW is reselling with the fix applied?
Does not apply to me.
The previously-owned models that VW is reselling with the fix applied will have that warranty in effect the moment the person buying the car (used) picks it up from the dealer. So why ask the question?
Does not apply to me.
If the previous owner of that vehicle didn't keep up with maintenance prior to having it bought back ... Given the length of the warranty being supplied and what it applies to, much of any potential side effects are going to be on VW anyhow.
Does not apply to me.
Skipping one or two oil changes isn't likely to make your engine blow up.
Plan now for me is the *fix* At my rate of driving, and a 10,000 mile interval, that might come in the Fall of 2019. Regarding mileage, I’m good. And doubt VW will nitpick on the *maintenance time* issue
I count on the wisdom of TDICLUB to guild my future (on my Golf) because VW misled everyone.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Every warranty I have ever heard of starts to run when the car first went into service, so I would believe the 11 years starts when the first purchaser bought the car from a dealer, and the mileage is the total mileage on the odometer from when the car first went into service.

I do not believe it is an 11 year, 162,000 warranty extension that starts to run on the day the car is fixed.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every warranty I have ever heard of starts to run when the car first went into service, so I would believe the 11 years starts when the first purchaser bought the car from a dealer, and the mileage is the total mileage on the odometer from when the car first went into service.

I do not believe it is an 11 year, 162,000 warranty extension that starts to run on the day the car is fixed.
I believe you are correct. If it turned out otherwise, then we would have to seriously reconsider the buyback, which we will do late next year, as things stand now. If anyone has a link documenting an 11 year / 162K warranty post-fix, please post.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe you are correct. If it turned out otherwise, then we would have to seriously reconsider the buyback, which we will do late next year, as things stand now. If anyone has a link documenting an 11 year / 162K warranty post-fix, please post.

....The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of: - 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date;

OR - 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.

At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.

The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.

Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems: - The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators - The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators - The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators - The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper - The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than those related to the transmission. Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train . The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.

More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we sent to you in January 2017

Extended Emissions Warranty Coverage (continued) Transferability This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners. Warranty Notices All normal warranty provisions remain in effect

IMO, one might run into issues if there are any MODs done on the TDi.

Customer Notices

If you choose to keep your vehicle but decline the emissions
modification at this time, you should be aware that certain
emissions-related replacement and repair parts may at some point
no longer be available from Volkswagen.

Accordingly, in the future,
if your unmodified vehicle requires maintenance and repairs of the
emissions system we may need to install parts associated with the
emissions modification, or, in some cases, install all aspects of the
emissions modification.

You should not have any issues with the
ability of your vehicle to pass the inspection and maintenance test.
This may lead to changes to your vehicle’s operation or performance
resulting from those modifications as discussed in this booklet.

If the vehicle has been modified by the customer prior to receiving
the emissions modification in a manner that may yield a non-compliant
emissions system (for example, removal of a catalyst, installation of
parts that impact emissions or emissions- related parts, or modifications
to the ECU or computer software of the vehicle), Volkswagen may not
be able to perform the emissions modification until the customer
corrects such modification.

Last edited:

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
"Extended Emissions Warranty Information:

The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 11 years or 162,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle’s in-service date."

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Extended Emissions Warranty Information:

The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 11 years or 162,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle’s in-service date."
This is what I thought. We just went off the powertrain warranty, and if we took our 2013 Passat in for the fix today (ain't happening, we're doing the buyback), we'd come out with roughly a 7 / 100 warranty on the covered items.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Sell it back and buy a used Leaf. Pocket $10k+

The lack of miles on some people's cars is killing me.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sell it back and buy a used Leaf. Pocket $10k+

The lack of miles on some people's cars is killing me.
I understNd the advice on the Leaf, although I am unable to follow it, as I have no place to plug it in.
I do not understand the statement about "-miles on some people's cars-" if you would care to elucidate.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ....snip....

I do not understand the statement about "-miles on some people's cars-" if you would care to elucidate.

The gentleman had a similar post on another thread.
IMO -- Every one is entitled to his opinion
And yes I too would like to be enlightened why it is wasteful to drive only (say 7 miles) a day -- as I do?

Yes, I too believe it is wasteful to own a diesel and only drive it 4k miles per year.

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
1) The premium paid for the diesel takes a fair number of km's to payoff before breaking even vs. the gas equivalent. At 4k miles per year there's no way you're going to make up the difference. (Back when it was TDI vs 2.5 I5 the improved driving characteristics of the TDI could justify the expense. TDI vs. TSI, no way)

2) Modern diesels with the DPF need extended highway runs to burn off the soot. Presumably that 4k/year is mostly city driving meaning the life expectancy of the emissions components are compromised with the potential of an expensive repair down the road.

People are free to spend their money as they wish (I mean, people buy Fiats) but financially a TDI makes little sense at with that low of an annual mileage.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
^yes, that.

Buy an electric for short commutes, or better yet, a bike.

TDIs and hybrids only have a positive ROI for people who drive many miles over the car's lifetime.

I get its "your choice" and people drive/buy what they want.
I just think its a poor use of a vehicles design. Like driving a sports car under the speed limit. Lowering a truck/SUV so that it can no longer leave the pavement; heck buying a truck/SUV and never leaving the pavement.
I'm just a silly consumer who buys a product based on the 99% of the time I'll be using it, though. That's why I'm happy with a GSW and not a Forester/Outback. The 1% or less that AWD and ground clearance would be useful, wasn't enough to make up for the 99% of the time it would suck more gas and handle worse.

*shrug*

To each, their own, as we say

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1) The premium paid for the diesel takes a fair number of km's to payoff before breaking even vs. the gas equivalent. At 4k miles per year there's no way you're going to make up the difference. (Back when it was TDI vs 2.5 I5 the improved driving characteristics of the TDI could justify the expense. TDI vs. TSI, no way)

Looking at the fuel cost (alone) 100% correct

Looking (only) at the resale (depreciation) factor ~ I ran the NADA on my Golf for the years 2015, 2014, and 2013 ~ using the mileage I expect to drive

2015 TDi CPO NADA retail $21,900
2015 TSi CPO NADA retail $17,000
$4,900 more for the TDi

2014 TDi CPO NADA retail $20,100
2014 TSi CPO NADA retail $16,675
$3,425 more for the TDi

2013 TDi CPO NADA retail $19,075
2013 TSi CPO NADA retail $14,900
$4,175 for the TDi

Similar results for 2012, 2011

IMO, TDi over TSi is money in the bank

2) Modern diesels with the DPF need extended highway runs to burn off the soot. Presumably that 4k/year is mostly city driving meaning the life expectancy of the emissions components are compromised with the potential of an expensive repair down the road.
100% spot on correct. And I will let VW worry about it, as I will have the 11 year, 162,000 warranty.

..... snip....

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... snip....

I just think its a poor use of a vehicles design. ...snip....
Point well taken. This is my first diesel. And I bought it because the price of my 2015 car was (almost) exactly the same for a TSI at that dealership.

And it was cheaper than any Golf at the local dealer by thousands of dollars.

And I was positive (back in 2015) that diesel had a much better resale value than gassers. This I knew, because I was selling my 2003 VW Golf gasser, and the same car in diesel was approx $3,300 more

$5,200 vs $8,500

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet
1st post, so excuse me if this has been answered elsewhere before. I've tried to look at this thread has a ton of information and is still current.

I'm looking at a USED 2015 Passat TDI SE 6mt from a VW dealer. The vehicle has 48k miles, should that be concerning? My questions is with the 11 year/162k miles.

Does that start with the original service date in 2015, when the Fix1 was completed, or when I purchase vehicle. thanks in advance. I plan to continue reading the forums and contributing after my purchase.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
....snip....

I'm looking at a USED 2015 Passat TDI SE 6mt from a VW dealer. The vehicle has 48k miles, should that be concerning?

My questions is with the 11 year/162k miles.

Does that start with the original service date in 2015, when the Fix1 was completed, or when I purchase vehicle. thanks in advance. I plan to continue reading the forums and contributing after my purchase.

The 11-162 warranty starts with the first day the car was in service.

You should have 114,000 miles and out to 2024 or longer.

My only concern is the mileage is over the average a tad, IMO.

TDIs are few and far between. It's a sellers market. What do you thing of the general condition?

Good luck

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet

TDIs are few and far between. It's a sellers market. What do you thing of the general condition?

Good luck
Thank you. The dealer seems to have more Passat TDI than any other dealers in a 300 mile radius of me. Pictures all look good, the salesman I've been emailing has been up front, helpful, and nice. They have lower mileage units but they are above $22k. This unit is right at $19,900

Having 6 years and over 100k mile warranty on some parts is a HUGE benefit to me.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you. The dealer seems to have more Passat TDI than any other dealers in a 300 mile radius of me. Pictures all look good, the salesman I've been emailing has been up front, helpful, and nice.

They have lower mileage units but they are above $22k.

This unit is right at $19,900

Having 6 years and over 100k mile warranty on some parts is a HUGE benefit to me.
According to NADA and KBB there seems to be approx 7-8 cents per mile deduction on mileage.

The difference in prices seem about right to me.

Good luck