TDI Trade in? "Absolutely!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
I checked with my local VW and Audi dealers to see if would accept a trade in of my 2012 A3 TDI 2.0 towards a new model. Neither one hesitated to say "yes, absolutely!" Think they want us to stay in the family?;)

wrc777

TDI
2014 Jetta TSI
If VW stops selling new TDIs in North America those that are left may be worth more than they were.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are car dealers, they just want to sell cars. Anything that drives onto the lot they will take in trade for something new. Especially if they can get it at a below market price for any reason. They want you to stay in the family of "someone who keeps buying new cars every few years".

VW isn't going to stop and your car will always be worth what someone will pay for it. From the postings here there are some Eco drivers who would never buy your car no matter what. Just the hint of some particular aspect of it being "dirty" has turned them sour. Many state it being clean was their sole reason for buying it. Good luck making all that extra money!

tungsten c

TDI
gulf 2012
"many state being clean was their sole reason for buying it"

Dudes am I missing something .... how dirty can a 45 MPG car be? really `lets get real.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.

Dudes am I missing something .... how dirty can a 45 MPG car be? really `lets get real.
45mpg is extremely clean, but to some TDI newcomers, NOx is evil incarnate.

Usually the same dudes that swear CO2 is a pollutant.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I checked with my local VW and Audi dealers to see if would accept a trade in of my 2012 A3 TDI 2.0 towards a new model. Neither one hesitated to say "yes, absolutely!" Think they want us to stay in the family?;)
Your living in a fools paradise. The ONLY reason they will take it in trade is because they will make money on the deal. They are hoping you are really stupid and can be brutally violated by them.

To a salesmen, there is no such thing as a "VW family". A salesman's ONLY motivation is to make as much on a deal as they can get away with without going to jail.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If VW stops selling new TDIs in North America those that are left may be worth more than they were.
Well, depends. VW's current black eye might just create a buyer's market and make what is out there kinda worthless for resale.

I understand your point, though. My pal thought he might buy one of the last of the 2006's and they told him with a completly strait poker face that it would cost $5000 over MSRP.:eek:

Last edited:

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I've had my 2015 tdi for nearly three months and have logged nearly 5000 miles......I can't emphasize how much money in fuel expense I'm saving compared to my previous vehicle (quest minivan - 19-22 mpg).

I really can care less about emissions, I know that may be an unpopular statement, but emission limits are set as a political action and not always "science"....now with that said, doesn't the fuel economy tdi's offer an environmental friendly attribute?

bwhite757

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium, 2013 Jetta
Well here's the fact of the matter. I have 2 2013 Jetta TDI's, I got stuck with both of them through a divorce. I honestly live under a rock because I didn't even know anything about the "DieselGate" until last night when a Ford dealership flat out refused the cars for trade-in because of the on-going "Scandal." When I asked what he was talking about I got informed of everything going on. The manager came in to talk to me, and was very polite, and told me that they just can't take a risk on the vehicles at this time until they know what VW's response will be, and how well VW will rebound from this. They are in business to make money, and as of right now, they can't make money on the TDI's.

Great timing on my part, been researching trucks for 2 months, and I finally was going to take the plunge yesterday. It's just awesome.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
If you thought that going to a Ferd fron VW was a good idea, you have far bigger issues than anything going on with VW right now . . . Enjoy what you have!

- Tim

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Well here's the fact of the matter. I have 2 2013 Jetta TDI's, I got stuck with both of them through a divorce. I honestly live under a rock because I didn't even know anything about the "DieselGate" until last night when a Ford dealership flat out refused the cars for trade-in because of the on-going "Scandal." When I asked what he was talking about I got informed of everything going on. The manager came in to talk to me, and was very polite, and told me that they just can't take a risk on the vehicles at this time until they know what VW's response will be, and how well VW will rebound from this. They are in business to make money, and as of right now, they can't make money on the TDI's.

Great timing on my part, been researching trucks for 2 months, and I finally was going to take the plunge yesterday. It's just awesome.
You know you don't have to trade in your cars - you can sell them yourself. It is not hard.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You know you don't have to trade in your cars - you can sell them yourself. It is not hard.
No kidding. So many folks that trade just go in and trade their cars and could care less about the screwing they will be getting.

For anyone that cares, when they take your old car as trade, they give you wholesale pricing and charge you retail pricing on the new car.

It just kills me that the only consideration many folks have is what their monthly payment is. The amount of dept you are carrying should actually be the primary consideration.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I really can care less about emissions, I know that may be an unpopular statement, but emission limits are set as a political action and not always "science"....now with that said, doesn't the fuel economy tdi's offer an environmental friendly attribute?
Well guess what? The amount of time that they have data is just a very small sliver of time in regards to the planets history.

The whole "Global Warming" things is nothing more than feel good politics. The real answer is that that don't really know. In the extremely limited data they have (less than 200 years in the last several billion years they just don't have any sort of relevant data.)

There has been history of temps figured out through core samples of ice in the arctics showing temps of what they consider today as "Global Warming".

but I guess that politicians have to push an agenda even if it has no basis in real science. Getting reelected is so much more important then the truth.

Last edited:

bwhite757

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium, 2013 Jetta
If you thought that going to a Ferd fron VW was a good idea, you have far bigger issues than anything going on with VW right now . . . Enjoy what you have!

- Tim
Not going to get into a pissing match on car companies, but my situation has changed, and I'm now in need of a light duty truck. I now have a house with land to attend to, and I need towing capabilities, also I'm no longer commuting 120 miles/day which was the main reason I purchased a Jetta in the first place. VW does not have a vehicle that meets my current needs.

South Coast Guy said:
If you actually think you're going to be able to get anything near what you think the TDI's are worth now you are crazy. True there are some people out there that haven't heard of the scandal, but most people do research on the cars they're getting ready to spend $10+ thousand on. What's the first thing that pop's up when doing any kind of Google search on a VW Jetta? I love my Jetta's, and they did well for me when I needed good fuel economy, but if I were in the position to buy one now, there's no way I'd do it with the current press. Also, I'd have a hard time selling it to someone gullible, when the car's value could plummet in the next few months based on public perception. Not to mention, I'm sure there's going to be issues financing these used TDI's with banks in the near future if the issues are not resolved.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE

When it comes to NOx emissions, they are pretty dirty. Sure, NOx isn't the only issue, but it does contribute to smog and asthma. I happen to not have asthma, and smog here isn't a problem, but others have a very different experience than me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wrc777

TDI
2014 Jetta TSI
Not going to get into a pissing match on car companies, but my situation has changed, and I'm now in need of a light duty truck. I now have a house with land to attend to, and I need towing capabilities, also I'm no longer commuting 120 miles/day which was the main reason I purchased a Jetta in the first place. VW does not have a vehicle that meets my current needs.
If you actually think you're going to be able to get anything near what you think the TDI's are worth now you are crazy. True there are some people out there that haven't heard of the scandal, but most people do research on the cars they're getting ready to spend $10+ thousand on. What's the first thing that pop's up when doing any kind of Google search on a VW Jetta? I love my Jetta's, and they did well for me when I needed good fuel economy, but if I were in the position to buy one now, there's no way I'd do it with the current press. Also, I'd have a hard time selling it to someone gullible, when the car's value could plummet in the next few months based on public perception. Not to mention, I'm sure there's going to be issues financing these used TDI's with banks in the near future if the issues are not resolved.
I would just post an ad and be totally honest. Tell them if VW does an ECU reflash they may lose fuel economy/reliability. So the buyer has to decide if they want to buy a cheater car that gets good mileage now before they all get reflashed.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
What would you trade it on? A gas VW? Pfffft
I traded my 2011 Golf TDI for a 2016 Golf TSI just about 3 weeks before the scandal broke... not because of emissions but because my 2011 was a piece of junk (on the other hand my wife's 2013 Golf wagon has been stellar). Not just for TDI issues which it had (IC icing, HPFP) but a whole bunch of stupid stuff: rust, broken springs, wheel bearings... that were all nickel-and-diming me to death.

Anyway to respond to "pfffft", take a look at this post to see what kind of highway fuel efficiency I'm getting (note: MFD is about 0.2 L/100 km optimistic compared to hand-calculated). http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4874993&postcount=15

It has 170 hp (more than any TDI sold here) and 184 lb-ft of torque (more than a 1.9 BEW or BRM PD TDI), and is as quiet as a vault inside. I don't think it's "Pfffft" at all! In fact it fairly convinced me that it wasn't worth spending $3k more for a TDI since I only do 18k km a year now.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Not as dirty as jet aircraft. They put out TONS.

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/aviation/r99013.pdf
I own and fly a 1979 Beechcraft Sundowner. NO emission controls whatsoever!

180 hp, burns 40 litres an hour of leaded 100 octane avgas... I kind of feel that flying it removes any right I have to complain about our TDI putting out more NOx than it should.

Of course I drive my car much more than I fly...

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
doesn't the fuel economy tdi's offer an environmental friendly attribute?
That is the way I've always looked at it, dating back to my "unclean" '99.5 TDI. Push NOx emissions aside just for a moment.

Diesel is simpler to refine (lower carbon footprint for production). Even if ULSD takes more carbon to refine, cleaning up gasoline likely will up its carbon footprint, so I expect the difference to remain similar.

And I'm getting great mileage. Relatives and friends still think a car getting 30+ mpg on the highway is "amazing". Better mileage means fewer gallons per distance driven. Fewer gallons of fuel which need to be moved in highly-polluting tanker ships and tanker trucks -- the emissions of which are largely unregulated. Fewer gallons of crude which need to be recovered (an ugly carbon-ridden process itself).

The engine is good for 300,000+ miles and the body is largely galvanized steel and will not suffer "the usual rust" in 5-8 years.

Instead of picking on one arbitrary amount of one emission, we should be looking at the cradle-to-grave carbon footprint of the car. How much carbon is expended in mining battery metals in Africa and moving them to Asia for production in cars then shipped to North America? Is it smarter to buy a car designed for 20 years of typical driving or some entry-level econobox like a Mitsubishi Mirage which will be rusty and BER in 10 years?

Declaring a car "dirty" because it surpasses one relatively arbitrary emission standard -- without counting what kind of emissions it took to get there -- is incredibly shortsighted.

paragrunt

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/ Nav
I like my TDI being clean. But I like my 45 MPG even more. The EPA can go to hell, I want my excellent fuel economy. I wonder if I can trade in my 2013 Jetta TDI Premium with 18k on it for a 2014-2015 used competitors vehicle on a VW used lot?? I'd be for that. I'm done with VW after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.