Another no start question

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
The car is an 01 jetta with 235,000 miles. I've changed my timing belt 3 times and haven't had any issues. The belt on it now has about 40,000 miles and all of the timing points are still lined up. I was passing a semi at lower speeds in 3rd gear. Probably got the revs to about 4,000 rpm and as I shifted into 4th the engine quit. No smoke no noises just nothing. I have VCDS and there are no fault codes. The starter turns the engine over just fine and it will try to run for a second or 2 but thats all I get. Manifold and EGR are not plugged, I changed the fuel filter, still nothing. What next?

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
I think today I'm going to break a couple of injection lines loose and see if there is any fuel. Can I have an injection pump problem without a fault code?

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
Ok, There is fuel coming out of the lines at the injectors. I wrapped a rag around the loosened line and it got damp but not soaked with a few seconds turning the motor over. I really don't know if there is enough pressure to make the injectors work. For the $1200 or so that an injection pump costs I don't want to get one and find out it still doesn't run. Can anyone point me in the right direction about confirming my problem? There are still no fault codes found.

VWMatt

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Are you sure when the engine stopped, as in not running any more, you did not hear anything? Was your windows open? Music on?

Did you pull over and pop the hood and smell anything? No check engine light? When was the last time you checked the compression?

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
Radio was on when the engine stopped but any noise would have to have been very subtle for me to miss it. Windows were up at the time. I've never checked the compression because it's always run just fine. The lack of fault codes to point me in a direction certainly make this confusing.

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
Alternaor is fairly new I've been charging the battery to keep the voltage uo while trying to get it to run. The only fuel pump on the 01 is the injection pump, no lift pump in the tank.

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
The conditions of the starting problem kind of sound like an immobilizer issue. The little icon on the dash and the VCDS show that it is not but I'm wondering if there could be a malfunction without a code?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
One thing that you may consider is pulling the injectors and attaching them to the fuel lines with the injectors out of the head. Stand back while someone cranks and watch if all of the injectors shoot fuel. Remember that fuel injected under your skin can literally kill you, so take extreme precautions.

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
Thanks for the reply Whitedog. I suppose that would definately tell me if I need an injection pump. I'll give that a try. It must be possible for the pump to wear and become non-functioning without giving a fault code?

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
still no joy

Got a used injection pump from classifieds and now I have good pressure when I break the line loose at the injectors. Still no start. I am getting a code now, P0322 engine speed sensor. A few years back I bought the Bently online and the computer I downloaded it on has taken a dump. So I'm not sure where that sensor is or if it can be changed. Can anyone enlighten me?

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
Yes, I was planning to check that wiring. I'm just not sure where that sensor is. From some of the threads I've read it seems it may be on the drivers side of the engine sensing the speed from the flywheel teeth. Is that correct?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure on your engine, but it could be tucked in on the side of the block behind the oil filter housing.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm pretty sure the crank/speed sensor is round in shape. On my BEW it is behind and a little to the left/driver's side of the oil filter housing.

TDI
jetta 2001 silver
Problem resolved

I'm still a bit confused about why the fault codes/CEL did not give me a better indication of my problems. I changed the injection pump and got some fuel pressure but it still did not start. At that point I finally got a check engine light and a fault code for the engine speed sensor ( I don't remember the exact code at this point ). When I got the old sensor out it measured open with a volt meter so I got a new one from ID parts and now I have a running car.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still a bit confused about why the fault codes/CEL did not give me a better indication of my problems. I changed the injection pump and got some fuel pressure but it still did not start. At that point I finally got a check engine light and a fault code for the engine speed sensor ( I don't remember the exact code at this point ). When I got the old sensor out it measured open with a volt meter so I got a new one from ID parts and now I have a running car.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4202627&postcount=11

Sometimes the speed sensor throws a code, sometimes it doesn't.