Bad Fumey smell from mk5 golf 2.0tdi 170

LukeK

TDI
Mk5 Golf 2.0TDI 170
I bought a mk5 golf 2.0tdi 170 about 6 months ago. I have getting a bad Fumey smell from the car since i bought it. I've taken it to several garages and they all can't decide what the problem is.
I've had a new dpf pipe as the old one was leaking,
Also a new inlet manifold gasket and actuator, a new EGR and a new turbo, full service with cambelt, new intercooler. I also replaced the rocker cover gasket as that was leaking.
I do have oil residue from the boost pipes, but I will be replacing these too.
I've scanned the car and there are no error codes.
I've also had the head pressure tested and it's all fine.
The smell is coming from the engine bay and it so bad i can smell it inside the car when stationary.
The car drives fine and i get good mpg.

Im really stuck with what the problem might be, so any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

LukeK

TDI
Mk5 Golf 2.0TDI 170
Smells like bad exhaust fumes but could be something else. Almost smells chemically. Its really hard to explain, as it's something I've never smelt before on a car.
Definitely not raw diesel tho.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Any chance you have a leaking bushing on the EGR Cooler? Of course my experience is with North American cars, but I have to wonder.

AbandonAllHope

I have the same engine and the same problem, it seems that many people with this engine suffer from this problem but no real conclusions... :|
I suspect either injectors or DPF...

M1KES

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 Golf MkV GT Sport 2.0 TDI 170. Wife's 2016 2.0 TDI 184 PS DSG VW Tiguan Match.
Has anyone made any progress with this issue? My 78K mile, '08 GT Sport 170 used to smell a bit like an old bus when it was cold. Then I had the plastic inlet manifold changed for a BKD one, sans inlet flaps and the EGR cleaned. It then began to smell much worse, including inside the car. I then had the car Carboncleaned and that improved matters. However it's still smelling badly at idle and today when I reversed with the passenger's window open, it was perticularly noticeable.

Several people have suggested that incorrect torsion values might be the cause. I've yet to check this on VCDS and then, if necessary, get someone who knows how to reset them.

AbandonAllHope

I advise you not to make any changes or tunning on your intake in these engines... You'll end up worst than when you started.
I had strong oil type smell coming from engine, I changed the engine oil to correct spec 507.00 and then it went away.

About exhaust smell, these engines smell until they reach temp, they shouldn't smell greatly afterwards.

I had my engine timming checked, which corrected some white smoke and smell that I had even after it reached temp.

Users who got DPF deleted also noticed a smell increase... Is this your case?

Good luck.

Last edited: