When do you get paid if you sign up for the fix? 50% up front or what?

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I have heard multiple conflicting answers to this & have been asked this myself without knowing the answer, so I thought I'd ask. Hopefully someone who has signed up for the fix will answer. Thanks. Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly, my computer at my house died & I've already wasted an hour on my phone trying to find out.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Not so fast -

On the 2015's (Gen 3) with the 2 part approved fix - you get 2/3 upon completion of the first part of the fix, and the remaining 1/3 upon completion of the the 2nd part.

We can't say on the Gen 1 and Gen2 cars yet because it hasn't been released.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
But in any event, merely signing up entitles you to no payment. You are only paid after the fix is performed. And if it is in several stages, partial payment after each stage.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
But in any event, merely signing up entitles you to no payment. You are only paid after the fix is performed. And if it is in several stages, partial payment after each stage.

That statement - I agree with. No payment until the work is performed.

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks for the replies. That link only addresses the payment time frame on the 2015 cars for the fix though, not the older ones, as far as I could tell anyway. I'm guessing by not explicitly mentioning it, the payment would only be at the time of repair.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is anticipated that the older cars will get a one-shot repair process, not the two-step process that the 2015 models are getting. On the older models, the one-time payment is supposed to happen after that one-shot repair process is completed.

'Course, as we all know, for the older models, nothing has been approved yet, so it's all up in the air.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
It's somewhat up in the air (in that nothing's been approved yet), but the settlement agreements anticipate a single-step fix (and thus a single payment) for Gen1 and Gen2 cars. I'd say the odds are very slim that we'd see anything other than this.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Think about it. The purpose of the settlement is to get the cars modified, or off the road. If they paid an owner before he brought it in for repair, what would stop him from pocketing the money, and never bringing it in for repair, or selling it back?

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
Think about it. The purpose of the settlement is to get the cars modified, or off the road. If they paid an owner before he brought it in for repair, what would stop him from pocketing the money, and never bringing it in for repair, or selling it back?
That's exactly what one of the CAS lawyers told me in one of our conversations...